Your last day in the Regiment..A big let down?

Becuase after 10 or so years you can pretty much see where your career is going, my lot if you don't hit the right rank at the right time zero chance of RSM, little chance ot Sgt Major. You then have to make a stark choice, leave now aged 28-30 and make a new career or spend the next 10 or so years skivving you way to pitence pension and working in McDonalds or a petrol Station becuse your too old to pick up a decent job

Also the statics of 22 yr men dieing not long after leaving is quite astonishing

Eggbanjo said:
FFS get a grip you bunch of whinging feckwits........you joined, you did your time, you got out..........what do you want.......a medal.
hmnmm be nice :wink:

As my old BSM said to me about leaving "If I died tomorrow, they would have a little funeral, a few beers and some lucky sod will get an early promotion"

One funny memory was when I went back for a piss up some 6/8 months afterwards, was down stickies and bumped into some of the old lads who asked me if I was back, they thought I was on a very long course 8O

Corporal said:
How come so many of you got out after 10 or 12 years? Why not stay in until retirement with that much time in?
half way stage for ORs. Plus countless tours in shitholes around the world, crap accomadation, stupid officers, w@nk kit....

I can't speak for other Arms, Corps and Regiments, but in The RA, your career is effectively mapped backwards.

After eight years and holding substansive L/Bdr, I was told that if i stayed in Locating until my 22 year point, I'd be very lucky if I made Sergeant.

It kind of sways your decision...

Obvioulsy there are some big differences between the way our Armed Forces work. Quiet in the peanut gallery, please.

I've always thought that if you went past your first enlistment, you were crazy not to go to 20.

wellyhead said:
Also the statics of 22 yr men dieing not long after leaving is quite astonishing
Very true, the years take a toll. To be honest, I never met anyone to get out of the Marines after 20 that didn't look at least 10 years older than they were.

LBdr_Pigshagger said:
I can't speak for other Arms, Corps and Regiments, but in The RA, your career is effectively mapped backwards.

After eight years and holding substansive L/Bdr, I was told that if i stayed in Locating until my 22 year point, I'd be very lucky if I made Sergeant.

It kind of sways your decision...
exxxxxxxxxactly

What was the quote ?? You don't need Gunnery Careers to get RSM ?!?!? Om investigation I think that only 2 of the RSM' serving at the time of the qoute didn't

I cant remember exactly what that Captain told me, but in order to make anything like WOII in the RA, your career needs to go something like:

Gnr to L/Bdr = 3 yrs 8O

L/Bdr to Bdr = 6 years 8O

Bdr to Sgt = 9-10 Years :?

Sgt to S/Sgt 12-14 years (At this point, you must be nominated for Gunnery Careers) :?

WO II = 16 years and then appointments from there. 8O

If you're in a Locating discipline within the Artillery, you could be the greenest soldier in the land and this is NEVER going to happen. Like everywhere else, it's the snivelling arselickers that get all the courses.

Not that I'm bitter... :lol:

I did 2 1/2 boys service followed by 6 years as a gunner.................................................the writing was on the wall!

Henry_Tombs said:
I did 2 1/2 boys service followed by 6 years as a gunner.................................................the writing was on the wall!
And there you have it, in a nutshell.

I joined in September 1990 at Woolwich and was promoted in September 1995 in Larkhill, having done my Leadership course in January 1993

what held me up was the lack of an 'Advanced' trade, which I duly got in August 1995.

what got in the way? Oh..Just two tours of Northern Ireland in two years. And I'll wager it's the same all over the RA, if not the Army...

The Sailor

Old-Salt
Had a smile reading this thread. Joined Dec 64 and left Sep 85, will let you work it out. I left the unit with six months to do, went to a TA unit, and as I was just kicking around I walked out the gates and worked on a farm for the rest of the time. No prezzies or thank you, was handed my doc's and told to post them to IMRO, I take them out now and again to look through them. The MOD90 is looking tired!!

The Sailor said:
Had a smile reading this thread. Joined Dec 64 and left Sep 85, will let you work it out. I left the unit with six months to do, went to a TA unit, and as I was just kicking around I walked out the gates and worked on a farm for the rest of the time. No prezzies or thank you, was handed my doc's and told to post them to IMRO, I take them out now and again to look through them. The MOD90 is looking tired!!
*Does the 'We're not Worthy" bow to Sailor*

:lol:

Were you one of those RCT Boat Driving blokes?

SMiller

Old-Salt
I feel shithouse just readin this lot.

My question is, what did you all plan to do after pissing off, and what have you ended up doing?

Hmmm. It seem that there are quite a few posts here from people who are obviously still serving or have never served. The reason people leave are many and varied, for me it was the constant tours and the fact that RLC manning and records had privately told my trade (tank transporting) that promotion to cpl would take approx 14 years, whilst still providing the crowd pleasing 3 - 6 - 9 rule to the masses. We were being toured to death (3 tours between 97 and 99) and I was pig sick of seeing all the people I joined with living in the sgts mess whilst I was retraded at my 5 year point and stuck in limbo as a lance jack.
This thread is not about complaining that you get nothing when you leave, rather about the feeling you get, because believe me when I say to those of you that are still serving that the feeling of loss and abandonment (even though it was us that left) is quite overwhelming in many cases. Unlike the US and some other armies you get zero support and recognition the second you leave those gates without an ID card, this mixed in with an inadequate re-settlement system which leaves people venerable and knowlegeless in civ-div combines to make leaving the army far more traumatic that it should be.

The Sailor

Old-Salt
I left early because I had an RSM and a wife who had made my life hell. Met a girl and decided to get another life, never regretted losing the money, just hoping that when I ask for my pension in a few years time they don't want their doc's in return, have taken a likeen to them.

Am enjoying a good civvy life, done well and am now reaping the benifits on my boat. Never planned life after I left, just took each day as it came and it has been one hell of a ride. Still have fond memories of my service and don't regret it.

LBdr_Pigshagger said:
Henry_Tombs said:
And there you have it, in a nutshell.

I joined in September 1990 at Woolwich and was promoted in September 1995 in Larkhill, having done my Leadership course in January 1993

what held me up was the lack of an 'Advanced' trade, which I duly got in August 1995.

what got in the way? Oh..Just two tours of Northern Ireland in two years. And I'll wager it's the same all over the RA, if not the Army...

What did you in was the course you did, how long did it take ? and ran once a year if you are lucky, I mean how many lads careers were simply screwed by lack of quals, hence the reason I got sigs, adv course ran regualrly at RSA. This of course bit me in the bum, lance jack sub 3 years, full screw 5 years well on the GCC plot, but no trade courses within the troop meant the only real slot I had was Sig Sgt which was of course open to outside the bty which meant 7 years as a full screw EVEN with a Distinction in my EFP1, dead mans shoes.

Of course this then means you fall into the "Brown Letter" zone 8O simply for doing your job.

Never forget the CO addressing the JNCO's mess explaining why there were no promotions etc, tthe subject of sigs came up, where if you were sigs orientated your career was limited whilst if you were a gunbunny promotion came quicker than a catholic school boys trip to Amsterdam,the response his response simply was "Well you should of went on the guns then". Whoops there was the problem my choice was wrong :? Because of course I am fully incontrol of the orbat and have full controll on what courses etc that I do, damn my intelligence :roll:

Exactly.

I remember when I got on the Advanced Survey Course at the RSA, there was one of those 'Pre-Course Questionaire' things with one of the qusetions being "How long have you known you were on this course?"

I replied "Three Years" :D

SMiller,

Since I left in 1998 I have been (in no particular order) A Security Guard, a Bank Clerk, a Recruitment Consultant, a Salesman, A Storeman and I'm now a self-employed TV engineer.

Like someone already said, I'm not at all bitter, I loved my time in and have many fond memories, but I'd say if you do any more than five years, nothing really prepares you for the shock of getting out.

In eight years I went Adventure Training twice. Once in Basic Training and once on Op Lion Sun in Cyprus, some five years later.

We were always off on tour, somewhere or other and no matter who you are, it eventually grinds you down.

My final tour of Cyprus (Back to back after 6 months in Bosnia) with the UN was nothing short of a joke. Utter bullshit from every direction "Style over Substance" every time.

That was the final straw for me....

Indeed. It also seemed that all of the fun things we used to do were either now no longer existant or sandwiched in between excercises which bore no relevance to the tours or previously gained operational experience we had gained before deploying again to do a job we have never practiced for.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Jack was getting very, very, dull.

Precisely.

I spent my career as an RA Surveyor, but only ever used my trade operationally, once.

Cyprus was all about 'looking nice' painting everything Sky Blue and White and learning OP Briefs word for word.

What really used to grip my shit though, was the fact that experience was never, ever, utilised.

When 94 Regiment disbanded at Roberts Barracks in September 1993, my Battery (I56 Inkerman) had only been back from South Armagh for 6 Months and our sister Battery, (22 Gibraltar) whom we would be joining on Monday, who themselves would become part of 32 Regiment had only returned some six months before us.

So there we are on Monday two days after disbandment on parade as brand new members of 32 Regiment when we warned off for Northern Ireland again.

These things happen, but instead of 'utilising' the recent experience of their new Battery, the new CO and RSM address us, tell us to forget our last tour and concentrate on the new one. I think it was thir idea of 'harmonising' the new Battery as part of the Regiment, but it had entirely the opposite effect.

A fortnight later, 'in camp' training starts and the Battery get saddled with a couple of full screws from The Devon and Dorsets who have been attached to us to assist with training. On day one, they start their comical briefing and the first one pulls a peice of kit (I'm not saying what it was, but it's VERY specific to Northern Ireland) out of a daysack and says (and I shit you not) "I bet nobody out of you Artillery lot knows what this is. Anyone?"

A hunrdred or so hands shot up in unison and twenty or so people called out the answer.

His face was a picture. The whole tone of his briefing was destroyed.

"Er, who here has been to the province before?" He asked, somewhat concerned

The same hundred hands went up.

"When did you get back?"

"Six months ago" one of the Ruperts replied

"Then Sir, what the f*ck are we doing here?"

"Good Question" piped up one of our SNCO's....

The Regiment hadn't even bothered to tell them..............

I know that one. Came back from Boz in early 99 and was immediatly placed on Kosovo training. The training was done by the WSF who we'd been supporting in Bosnia. They just scratched their heads as we did.

Latest Threads