Your help needed

I haven't built it myself, but from reviews I've read it seems to be a good kit. I'd use Tamiya Extra Thin cement if I were you, and use Tamiya paint. All those are easily available from the likes of Amazon and ebay.

Thank you so much
The main thing is not stress over it. Trust me, you're very likely to be going to make a mess of all, or part of it, be pragmatic about it and use it as a learning experience. If it works out, give yourself a massive well done!

You're obviously not afraid to ask questions, don't be afraid to keep coming back and ask for advice, it will be freely and gladly given here.

Hi all,

Having no skill or tbh having never built a model since I was a kid.

This model ok to start with?

Tamiya TMYTAM35274 35274 Challenger 2 Tank (Desertised) 1:35 Military Model Kit​

Tamiya TMYTAM35274 35274 Challenger 2 Tank (Desertised) 1:35 Military Model Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games
  1. Tamiya TMYTAM35274 35274 Challenger 2 Tank (Desertised) 1:35 Military Model Kit

What glue/ cement do you all use?
Also could anybody tell me what type of paint to buy dont have loads of cash to buy loads fancy kit.

Thanks in advance
Good choice. I've built this one, it is well engineered (as Tamiya tend to be) and goes together quite easily. Paint wise, I used Tamiya light sand in a spray can over Tamiya light grey primer. I find that if I warm the can for a few minutes, the spray is a bit finer.

Sttrory

Old-Salt
Good choice. I've built this one, it is well engineered (as Tamiya tend to be) and goes together quite easily. Paint wise, I used Tamiya light sand in a spray can over Tamiya light grey primer. I find that if I warm the can for a few minutes, the spray is a bit finer.
Thank you so much just ordering everything now

Invest in some decent brushes if you don't have an airbrush though
Try these

I'll second them, I brought some back when lockdown started and I finally got back into painting. They're really good fine detail brushes. Don't worry about base-coat or dry brush brushes, they'll get shagged in short order, so go for cheaper ones.

As to paints, try these:

They're like Vallejo ones, but have the added bonus of coming pre-fitted with a mixing ball. Their rust colours are brilliant, I've been playing about with them a lot recently. I'm sure you can find them at an alternative venue (or try your local model train/modelling shop).

Honestly, I'd suggest that any acrylic paints will work. Steer clear of the evil mess that is enamel. Some might say they're good paints, but these individuals are dangerously deranged and likely Frenchmen. Acrylic paints are all similar to be honest, so its a case of what works for you.
What I dislike is the modern trend for manufacturers of calling all their paints 'contrasts', 'shades' or other stupid name ranges.

Finally, as you'll be doing a desert paint scheme, let me introduce you to Flesh Wash:

That stuff is awesome for any vaguely brownish colour. Its basically skill in a bottle.
I've got a half complete 20mm Jagdtiger. Later this week if I get a calm moment I'll do it up to demonstrate how brilliant this stuff is. As you'll be watering it down it'll last forever (I thnk my bottle lasted from 1996-2005 before I needed to hunt down a refill). It's an old GW paint, that has just been re-branded after GW changed paint suppliers (for the worse). I'd also point out I really like this style of pot, unlike the eye dropper bottle of both Vallejo or the above Mig paints.

Oh, and don't forget to undercoat your model. Which will cause a lot of arguments. As there's three camps, Undercoat black, white or grey. Two of which are demonstrably wrong.

Last edited:

Sttrory

Old-Salt
I'll second them, I brought some back when lockdown started and I finally got back into painting. They're really good fine detail brushes. Don't worry about base-coat or dry brush brushes, they'll get shagged in short order, so go for cheaper ones.

As to paints, try these:

They're like Vallejo ones, but have the added bonus of coming pre-fitted with a mixing ball. Their rust colours are brilliant, I've been playing about with them a lot recently.

Finally, as you'll be doing a desert paint scheme, let me introduce you to Flesh Wash:

That stuff is awesome for any vaguely brownish colour. Its basically skill in a bottle.
I've got a half complete 20mm Jagdtiger. Later this week if I get a calm moment I'll do it up to demonstrate how brilliant this stuff is.

Oh, and don't forget to undercoat your model.
Thank you

Going to prime it first then add layer of nato green then layer of sand colour then rub down slightly in areas where the crew would of worn down the paint? This right?

Thank you

Going to prime it first then add layer of nato green then layer of sand colour then rub down slightly in areas where the crew would of worn down the paint? This right?

There's special products for this, (which I've never used BTW) or you can do it with brushes and paints.

However, looking at pictures of Cr2's on Telic it doesn't appear the paint was worn away (as it tends to take time).
01yos8m1yva11.png

I would venture in this case you'd want to keep the paint job pretty clean from wear, but stick a lot of dust on it.

Sttrory

Old-Salt
There's special products for this, (which I've never used BTW) or you can do it with brushes and paints.

However, looking at pictures of Cr2's on Telic it doesn't appear the paint was worn away (as it tends to take time).
01yos8m1yva11.png

I would venture in this case you'd want to keep the paint job pretty clean from wear, but stick a lot of dust on it.
Dust omg how do I do that

Please keep us updated with pics. I find it fascinating watching them progress from a box of bits to the finished article. I'm even thinking of dipping my toes back in too!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Daz

LE
When you start cutting the parts off the frames, do it over the box lid.

Once the small parts start hitting the floor, there is a 50% chance they will disappear forever.
99% in my case :)

maritime

Old-Salt
When i started out i use to use nail clippers to cut off from main spru. Get cheap finger nail files from superdrug/boots/B and M, to erase any flash,seams off parts.

Latest Threads