Your first mobile phone?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Batko, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't imagine how we would manage without mobiles now. Waiting for ages by the payphones in the naafi, reversing the charges (can you still do that?), or answering the phone in the bottom of the block, pretending to go and look for spr bloggs, and never actually a) find him or b)even bother to start looking! Jack,I know :D
    At the same time, thank fcuk I didn't have one in my more youthful days away from the girlfriend for weeks at at a time, "don't worry love, I'll call when I can..."

Ahhh, just remembered one bloke at our unit with a mahoosive early nokia in an equally mahoosive pouch on his belt, next to the leatherman, what a twat.

2. i had a motorola phone which had no screen other than a green or red flashing light, you paid for incoming as well as outgoing calls? (weekends were free) total cost £250 quid in 1994

3. I got my first Nokia phone when I was 19, Dad bought because my car kept breaking down and I couldn't convince him to buy me a new car!

I finally upgraded the phone 9 years ago after 10 years of use and my friends taking the piss. it barley worked because battery wouldn't hold it's charge. But then again it's hard to answer a phone whilst pulling wheelies!

4. 1994 as well. Mine was a Sony "Mars Bar" phone, 3 numbers in the memory, and keys that didn't even light up. Can't remember how much it was, but probably bloody expensive. Still remember my first call, to my Dad while sitting in my C reg Astra SR outside Dixons, sad or what?

5. mine was outside curries as equally as sad if not sadderer :oops:

6. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I had a Dancal DC1. It only excepted incoming/outgoing calls. I got it in 96 and upgraded in 2000. By this time everyone I knew was used to sending texts, I had never sent one. I still have the phone sat at home somewhere.

7. Mine was 1996, just after starting Phase 2 training, with a bit more spare cash than normal on my hands. It was an early Ericsson with a big fold-out aerial and a small screen which only displayed the numbers you typed, no name memory, nothing. I had 200 mins free to start me off, which I wasted on the first night by phoning everyone I knew to tell them I had a mobile phone. :D

Throughout the rest of phase 2 I regularly racked up £400 phone bills, and then the best thing imaginable happened - a posting to Germany. Contract cancelled, phone sent back, sorted. Didn't get another one until they brought out the one-man-lift models.

8. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

1998. Some form of motorola. Ugly, heavy, pocket sized (for combat map pockets at least) and generaly pretty awful.

My older brother got it for me so that the old man would have someone else to call and chat bollox to. Still haven't forgiven him for that...

9. 1998, Nokia 5110 (I Think)

[​IMG]

Lost it in a night club and got a Motorola StarTac, one of the best phones ever invented.

[​IMG]

10. One of the old Mercury (now T-Mobile I think) flip front johnnies with the pull out plastic aerial.

1994 or 5

Very little signal anywhere and like carrying a pack of butter around in your pocket. Did I look cool with it?

Of course I did!!

11. We were on a Class one in Chatam in 94 and one of the blokes had a tiny phone, with a mouth piece that flipped out on a little stalk, and fitted nicely in your shirt pocket. As I recall, JT (you know who you are!) bought the phone especially to keep in contact with his lovely lady who lived just up the road from camp....
    Picture the scene, on parade outside the Tp offices with Tp Sgt. Phone starts ringing, "WHAT THE FCUK WAS THAT??" obviously repeated twice for better effect. Ermm, mine Sgt, (sniggers all round). What the fcuk IS that JT? oh yes,very nice, haven't seen one like that before, yes very nice, must buy one etc etc, now put it away and tell your missus not to bother you at work. Happy days.....

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Anybody remember Transportables?

[​IMG]

Weighed a ton, cost a fortune, only worked in central London and Birmingham and didnt come in a range of kewel colours.

"I'M IN THE CAR"

13. did you not need a PU 12 Mast and 16/24 gennie as well to run this plus a shift system (x 10 men) just to keep it operational