Your favourite WWII area bombing

As the title says, what's yours? Dresden has to the winner surely, but the levelling of Tokyo was awfy special too

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation.

They sowed the wind. Now they will reap the whirlwind"

Not sure that I approve of the topic but Malta wins on several counts, not least of which is that sufficient remains that it's still a decent tourist resort.

For me it's a toss up between Liverpool and Hull.

Both sadly left significant areas undamaged - but still shitholes.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The science of area bombing progressed as the war went on.

By the end, the RAF were target marking with highly accurate Pathfinders. A Master Bomber was in area advising the main force where to drop.
First wave generally high explosives to blow the roofs off, next waves incendiaries to start the fires.
Also being dropped were bombs with delay fuzes to catch fire and rescue.
At the same time, ECM aircraft were flying in the bomber stream deploying a raft of measures.
As well as long range night fighters patrolling German airfields.

Air sea rescue launches were out and about.

FIDO was on alert in case of fog for returning aircraft. This was a fog dispersal operation which basically burnt large quantities of oil alongside selected runways.

The science of area bombing progressed as the war went on.

By the end, the RAF were target marking with highly accurate Pathfinders. A Master Bomber was in area advising the main force where to drop.
First wave generally high explosives to blow the roofs off, next waves incendiaries to start the fires.
Also being dropped were bombs with delay fuzes to catch fire and rescue.
At the same time, ECM aircraft were flying in the bomber stream deploying a raft of measures.
As well as long range night fighters patrolling German airfields.

Air sea rescue launches were out and about.

FIDO was on alert in case of fog for returning aircraft. This was a fog dispersal operation which basically burnt large quantities of oil alongside selected runways.

Exactly, wha'd f*ck with that? Would be awfy silly

FIDO, nice one mate, cheeky obscure piece of history there

In all seriousness @putteesinmyhands, as little as I'd liked to be on Malta in 1942, I'm not sure I can count any WWII Luftwaffe operation as area bombing. Thinking of writing a book about their dearth in that area

For me it has to be not one target but a number, all hit by 9Sqn and 617Sqn .
Using the Tallboy and GrandSlam earthquake bombs and precision bombing, from the Tirpitz, Emms Canal to le Coppola.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Ploiesti Rumania the oilfields
the Yanks did an amazing job against powerful opposition, and not chance of a trip home if the aircraft was damaged
they had a little island someplace where they could land, but not take off again
bombing from nought feet, with terrible losses

Latest Threads