Your Favourite Exceptional Olympians.

Yelena Isinbayeva, just for having those legs and arse

Or Captain Isinbayeva, of the Russian Army

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Indeed so, however I favour those who made through sheer physical endeavour via sound training, unlike one in your list who were tainted with the 'steroid syndrome'.
Yes and without mentioning the name of the steroid tainted one, it was always obvious why the nation liked Tessa Sanderson better than......

Fatimah Whitbread, Geoff Capes, Mary Peter's, Torvil and Dean, Robin Cousins the male skater that had an arse like a cannon ( I forget his name )
You could have a fairly exhaustive list of just British Olympians, from down the years.
Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis-Hill more recently, not to mention Chris Hoy and British cycling generally.

Yelena Isinbayeva, just for having those legs and arse

Or Captain Isinbayeva, of the Russian Army

Why doggy style was invented

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Fatimah Whitbread, Geoff Capes, Mary Peter's, Torvil and Dean, Robin Cousins the male skater that had an arse like a cannon ( I forget his name )
You could have a fairly exhaustive list of just British Olympians, from down the years.
To add, there was a programme on BBC a week or so ago, 20 greatest British Olympic moments or some such which, apart from making me feel old by pointing out the 1984 Coe-v-Ovett “Cold War in Moscow” was well within my living memory, was very good.

Probably available on catch up and worth a watch imho.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd like to nominate the East German womens sprint relay team.

Silke Gladisch, Marita Koch, Ingrid Auerswald and Marlies Goehr

Who thanks to East Germany's state sponsored doping programme became a fine body of men!
I was wondering when some goobie would bring that up. Fact is that West Germany started its state-sponsored doping programme four years before the GDR (in 1970) and in all the international competitions only one single GDR sportsperson was ever temporarily banned for doping – almost a “clean sheet”. Compare that to the lamentable doping records of other nations.

Here’s an article I wrote on the subject in 2011. You might find it interesting.

MsG

Attachments

I was wondering when some goobie would bring that up. Fact is that West Germany started its state-sponsored doping programme four years before the GDR (in 1970) and in all the international competitions only one single GDR sportsperson was ever temporarily banned for doping – almost a “clean sheet”. Compare that to the lamentable doping records of other nations.

Here’s an article I wrote on the subject in 2011. You might find it interesting.

MsG

One that I didn’t write ergo not to my particular agenda.

And yes, other nations were doing the same, as were (and probably still are) individuals, but that does not alter the basic truth that former Soviet bloc nations weren’t not doing it.

happyuk

War Hero
Definitely Sharon Davies, Olympic gold medallist as far as I'm concerned, given that Petra Schneider, the East German 'woman' that beat her, was known to have taken performance-enhancing drugs.

in all the international competitions only one single GDR sportsperson was ever temporarily banned for doping – almost a “clean sheet”. Compare that to the lamentable doping records of other nations.
No dice Bugsy. It was state sponsored doping at all levels. The lenghths they went to cover it up meant very few East Germans were ever caught. Doping detection was in it's infancy and the East German authorities were even alowed to carry out their own tests on behalf of intenational athletics!

The central doping laboratory in Kreischa tested the athletes for one reason only: to ensure that they didn't fail drug tests during competitions abroad. The Health Ministry held political responsibility....

......Ultimately, East German sports were a vast lie. I remember with disgust an incident in Kienbaum. We were 15 at the time. There was a directive for our group: We were to go into the sauna with a high-ranking sports functionary. Another example: It was just a couple of days before the 1987 world championships in Bulgaria, and after six weeks of training -- I was a coach at the time -- we were suddenly told we wouldn't be attending, allegedly because of a tiny error in our routine. Presumably, though, there had been a positive doping test during an internal check and they didn't want to risk being discovered in Bulgaria.

Compare that to the lamentable doping records of other nations.

Jean-Pierre de Mondenard, an expert in performance-enhancing drugs, contended that doping existed in other countries both communist and capitalist, but the difference with East Germany was that it was a state policy.

Hmmm, here's the first line of your article.

Shortly after reunification, the Wessis, in their rush to demonise the GDR as much as possible,

That's as far as I got before deciding it would be a waste of time to go any further.

MsG
And it was going relatively well, too......

Tyk

LE
One that I didn’t write ergo not to my particular agenda.

And yes, other nations were doing the same, as were (and probably still are) individuals, but that does not alter the basic truth that former Soviet bloc nations weren’t not doing it.
I can't say that article is surprising, it was blatantly obvious that mass doping was going on and that the East Germans were one of the guiltiest parties. I assume it was connected to some bizarre national prestige concept and an obsession with status that meant nothing to anyone other than them.
There are undoubtedly exceptional athletes that were denied medals because of the systematic cheating and who knows how many records that are utterly meaningless.
I'm of the view that most of the Olympic sports are irreparably ruined as a result of the doping which is why I really don't care much about them.

He said it mate not me. I may have got the given time wrong. Any ex squaddie that can push out those times is a favourite athlete of mine, so not sure what your gist is.
Smeggers is obese suffering from heart issues, so I think he is against any sport.

Must also be a first in white knighting Bugs!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Here’s an article I wrote on the subject in 2011. You might find it interesting
What I find interesting is that
a) it appears to be unpublished anywhere ( no biggie in itself TBH)
b) it appears to rank along with Nostrodamus in predicting the future...
From the 'article'
That all changed dramatically when in July 2013, the “Main-Post” published a report that in the run-up to the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich
and
the Freiburg University Medical Clinic (Medizinische Universitätsklinik Freiburg), which was the exact same institute that the “Zeit” newspaper described at the beginning of 2013 as “the West German mirror-image of the GDR state doping plan”
So if you did indeed write this article in 2011, if only you'd have published this groundbreaking foresight, you could have saved athletics from drugs.

On a completely unrelated note, did I ever mention that I despise liars, especially outed ones that refuse to come clean?

ETA - My favourite exceptional Olympian would probably be Jesse Owens, just to keep the thread on track.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
From the 'article'

and

So if you did indeed write this article in 2011, if only you'd have published this groundbreaking foresight, you could have saved athletics from drugs.

On a completely unrelated note, did I ever mention that I despise liars, especially outed ones that refuse to come clean?

ETA - My favourite exceptional Olympian would probably be Jesse Owens, just to keep the tread on track.
Bugsy caught lying, well I'll be.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
From the 'article'

and

ETA - My favourite exceptional Olympian would probably be Jesse Owens, just to keep the thread on track.
So your criteria were:
(1) Find out if I actually wrote it. You were unsuccessful
(2) Find anything in the article that you could dispute. You were unsuccessful.
(3) Find anything in the article that didn't chime. Bingo!
But just because I wrote the article in 2011 doesn't mean that I can't revise and add to it as further facts are revealed, does it?

On a completely unrelated note: did I ever mention that I don't give a shite what you like or dislike?:p

MsG

From the 'article'

and

******* hell, he just cant help himself can he, even when some people misguidedly defend him (Or white knight him in Toasties case) he still has to tell lies.

Latest Threads