Your Favourite Exceptional Olympians.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Me too.

You too.

And you could at least have taken the MP badge off the Landrover in the celebrations. Poor bloke looks like he’s being taken to the guillotine in a tumbrel.
That was nice to see. Two decent blokes involved in a quick spat, having their say and then moving on. A bit more of that wouldn't hurt now and again. There, I've had my say now - look, geese!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You idiot. For once you started a thread that is interesting. The usual clowns couldn’t leave it and you actually had the moral high ground and FWIW, imho, mod standards slipped below the acceptable.

If you’d just left it a lot of people would have quietly thought the same. Don’t rise to it and they’ll get bored and a large number of people might even get to read through a thread without the effort of filtering out the pointless and never ending shite.
I apologise if you feel our standards slipped. Unfortunately, in this instance, my hands were tied and I was only allowed to give out some "friendly" advice.
I agree with your comments though. This is an interesting thread and could get better except for the input of a few moonhowlers who take every excuse to bait DMB. I just hope that Bugsy doesn't respond in mind and we have yet another thread disappearing down the shit-chute.
Bugsy, ignore them! Keep to the thread title and maybe they'll get bored.

Niamac

GCM
Bobby McGregor, mainly because I knew him quite well and occasionally competed against him, quite badly.

1596277346440.png

He was a World Record holder in the Sixties and won a Silver Olympic medal at Tokio in 1964. He was fiercely competitive, with a beautiful stroke and being big and strong was a good water polo player. The British Olympic selectors could not believe that he trained in a 25 yard pool in Falkirk when they arrived to critique him prior to the Tokyo Olympics.

Probably one of the last of the amateurs he then qualified as an architect and got on with his job quietly.

Fatimah Whitbread, Geoff Capes, Mary Peter's, Torvil and Dean, Robin Cousins the male skater that had an arse like a cannon ( I forget his name )
You could have a fairly exhaustive list of just British Olympians, from down the years.

Bobby McGregor, mainly because I knew him quite well and occasionally competed against him, quite badly.

View attachment 493768
He was a World Record holder in the Sixties and won a Silver Olympic medal at Tokio in 1964. He was fiercely competitive, with a beautiful stroke and being big and strong was a good water polo player. The British Olympic selectors could not believe that he trained in a 25 yard pool in Falkirk when they arrived to critique him prior to the Tokyo Olympics.

Probably one of the last of the amateurs he then qualified as an architect and got on with his job quietly.
I'd add, Dick Mc Taggart, one of my dad's favourite boxers. He represented Scotland in the 1956 & 1960 Olympics winning gold and a subsequent bronze. He had a very unique 'upright' style of boxing. Dick, continued to represent Scotland as a spectator at every and any sport where there was a Scottish competitor(s) in action.

As you remark " one of the last of the amateurs " .

I'd like to nominate the East German womens sprint relay team.

1596278614990.png

Silke Gladisch, Marita Koch, Ingrid Auerswald and Marlies Goehr
Who thanks to East Germany's state sponsored doping programme became a fine body of men!

Fatimah Whitbread, Geoff Capes, Mary Peter's, Torvil and Dean, Robin Cousins the male skater that had an arse like a cannon ( I forget his name )
You could have a fairly exhaustive list of just British Olympians, from down the years.
Indeed so, however I favour those who made through sheer physical endeavour via sound training, unlike one in your list who were tainted with the 'steroid syndrome'.

‘Arse like a cannon’. Do you perhaps mean John Curry?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The use of 'medal' as a verb annoys me, nearly as much as the use of 'action' as a verb.

This has no relevance to the thread at all but given who started it I'm not fussed.
Ain't no noun can't be verbed.

I apologise if you feel our standards slipped. Unfortunately, in this instance, my hands were tied and I was only allowed to give out some "friendly" advice.
I agree with your comments though. This is an interesting thread and could get better except for the input of a few moonhowlers who take every excuse to bait DMB. I just hope that Bugsy doesn't respond in mind and we have yet another thread disappearing down the shit-chute.
Bugsy, ignore them! Keep to the thread title and maybe they'll get bored.
No problem. Thank you.

Latest Threads