Your Favourite Exceptional Olympians.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Sure, I hope I've the proper thread an' all.

I’m sure there are many personal Olympic favourites going down through the years, from Abebe Bikila through Jesse Owens and countless others.

But quite apart from folks like Sergei Bubka with his incredible pole-vault records, my own, individual, all-time favourites are the following:

Eric Heiden: There were only five gold medals awarded in the 1980 Winter Olympic Games in the Lake Placid speed-skating championships. They were for five events over 500, 1,000, 1,500, 5,000 and 10,000 metres. And Eric Heiden won every ******* one of them!
But not only that! He set four world records and an Olympic record while doing so. Eric Heiden - Wikipedia

Michael Johnson: The first, and only, sprinter, to win gold at the 200 m and 400 m distances at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia. Never been done since.
Michael Johnson (sprinter) - Wikipedia

Alberto Juantorena: The first, and only, sprinter to win Olympic gold at 400 and 800 metres at the same meeting.
Alberto Juantorena - Wikipedia

Adele Thompson: The most successful UK decathlon athlete of all time, in my view: Daley Thompson - Wikipedia

Their various successes are readily available on YooChoob. So who do you admire, eh?

MsG

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bugsy, runs the hundred metre sprint in under 10 seconds.
Keep it on the straight and narrow please, let's not turn every thread into an excuse to bash Bugsy.

Keep it on the straight and narrow please, let's not turn every thread into an excuse to bash Bugsy.
He said it mate not me. I may have got the given time wrong. Any ex squaddie that can push out those times is a favourite athlete of mine, so not sure what your gist is.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mathew Pinsent, pure class, and Shirley Strong, British 100m hurdles silver medal 1984 Olympics ..... as a smoker.

Latest Threads