Your Down Jacket Recommendations

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Spacehopper383, Dec 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I have now reached a certain age and am starting to feel the cold (who am I kidding, I've felt the cold for the last 40 years) I am in the market for a down jacket. (Hint hint Bad CO)

Karrimor

I have found this and was wondering if anyone had any experience of it or would recommend anything else.

2. I have a Rab Neutrino Endurance, awesome Jacket, well worth the money

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Was in Lapland 2 weeks ago in minus 29C ambient wearing a Rab Extreme - no worries, and its been to much worse places than that with a goretex layer on top!

4. Sorry, forgot to add I'm on a budget this year so nothing more than £100. What sort of price are the Rabs?

5. Mine was £220, but got it for £176 after unit discount.

6. I've got a Rab too - but not sure which model. Very happy with it.

How do you all clean yours? Anyone bother sending it off to the place Rab recommend? I just take mine to Johnson's Cleaners and they send it off somewhere.

7. Cheers Jarrod, I was looking at that site while you were posting. If I could wait then I might consider the sale but I really would like to get something ASAP. Although while all this white stuff is covering up-north I might be waiting until the new year to get it.

8. Not down filled (at least I doubt it) but I recently bought a Swedish Army Parka. It's knee-length and only comes in the one colour ;-) but it did only cost me thirty notes. I'd highly recommend it for keeping warm on a budget.

9. Try Alpkit best for price (cant do linky thing but if you google will come up)

10. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We're just about to get a Keela Belay Jacket to review and I'm told they are particularly toasty......

11. Marmot do good kit - I have one their down jackets and it copes with pretty much anything I do - was awesome at -30C in Canada. Washes really well too. And Amazon (of all places!) has a variety of them on sale round about your budget. Oddly, it might also be worth looking at Lands End - I know, not the usual port of call for outdoor gear! But they started out making sailing kit and relatives in the colder bits of the US swear by them.

12. Mine was half price. Maybe about £80 few weeks waiting would be worth it.

13. I use the washer and tumble dryer.