• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Your Down Jacket Recommendations

As I have now reached a certain age and am starting to feel the cold (who am I kidding, I've felt the cold for the last 40 years) I am in the market for a down jacket. (Hint hint Bad CO)

Karrimor

I have found this and was wondering if anyone had any experience of it or would recommend anything else.

Alsacien

MIA
Was in Lapland 2 weeks ago in minus 29C ambient wearing a Rab Extreme - no worries, and its been to much worse places than that with a goretex layer on top!

I've got a Rab too - but not sure which model. Very happy with it.

How do you all clean yours? Anyone bother sending it off to the place Rab recommend? I just take mine to Johnson's Cleaners and they send it off somewhere.

Cheers Jarrod, I was looking at that site while you were posting. If I could wait then I might consider the sale but I really would like to get something ASAP. Although while all this white stuff is covering up-north I might be waiting until the new year to get it.
Not down filled (at least I doubt it) but I recently bought a Swedish Army Parka. It's knee-length and only comes in the one colour ;-) but it did only cost me thirty notes. I'd highly recommend it for keeping warm on a budget.

Marmot do good kit - I have one their down jackets and it copes with pretty much anything I do - was awesome at -30C in Canada. Washes really well too. And Amazon (of all places!) has a variety of them on sale round about your budget. Oddly, it might also be worth looking at Lands End - I know, not the usual port of call for outdoor gear! But they started out making sailing kit and relatives in the colder bits of the US swear by them.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Cheers Jarrod, I was looking at that site while you were posting. If I could wait then I might consider the sale but I really would like to get something ASAP. Although while all this white stuff is covering up-north I might be waiting until the new year to get it.
Mine was half price. Maybe about £80 few weeks waiting would be worth it.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I've got a Rab too - but not sure which model. Very happy with it.

How do you all clean yours? Anyone bother sending it off to the place Rab recommend? I just take mine to Johnson's Cleaners and they send it off somewhere.
I use the washer and tumble dryer.

Someone nicked my Rab. If I find out who, I will personally kill them. It was crap anyway. The feathers moved too much. I spent £240 on a big mad one for the ex Mr Snail about 10 years ago - that was warm. It was blue and black if that helps.

My North Face 700 and the very romantic Softee Jacket the lad got me for last Christmas helped me through the Falklands. I don't know what the spec is on the Softee because he's got it.

Oh great, 5 more inches of snow tonight according to the news.

You don't mention your budget but Karrimor don't make the quality of kit they once did. Mountain Equipment still make good kit as do RAB.

However, if you have the budget, Canada Goose's Expedition Parka is a real cracker.

Canada Goose Men's Expedition Parka

It's what the US Antarctic Program issue to their people going South and I was issued one for working in Northern Canada in winter. One myth about down jackets is that they can be too warm. However, if you're standing about, they work well in a very wide range of temperatures because the heat is lost gradually through the coat. Nowhere near as sweaty as fleece or layering, nor are they as restrictive. I look a total knob when wearing (actually i always look a total knob regardless of what I'm wearing or not wearing ....) it but I've never been too hot or cold whilst wearing it in temperatures ranging from 0 down to -50 degrees C. But don't buy off Ebay as they have the Chinese knock-offs ........

And don't underestimate the importance of a good hat and gloves and boots.
Boots like these .........
Buy Sorel Shoes and Boots for Men and Women online

Dogs

These iconic jackets were standard issue in Norway back in the eighties. Much cheaper than Rab and more than adequate for UK use.Outdoor Action Mountain Equipment Classic Lightline Down Jacket (2008)
Yeah if you want it in "sunshine" colour only whatever that is, though I imagine its quite bright!

To the OP, I would tend to steer clear of Karriomor these days, some of the stuff is very hit or miss, im led to believe that there are several maunfacturers licensed to make kit under the name and hence the poor quality in some of the stuff. Whoever it is that makes the radio bags and the excellent sabre daysacks though is the exception.

I will be interested to see the Keela Belay jacket review. I have a Keela Quantum softshell and so far very impressed.

Echo DB's comments..... I've just taken the pludge and brought a cheap Karimoor Down jack and yes they are quite warm and were nice in the recent weather BUT it's loosing filling at a rate that it will only last one winter!!!!!

Sub £100 you'll be lucky to get a real down jacket that's decent? Try TK Max? (honestly!)

A decent jacket should last years though....

Latest Threads