Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Your Bulls*it New Year’s Resolution for 2021...

In all seriousness, knock off the booze again. I went the best part of a year a while back without booze and never missed it, a huge surprise to me. Then I started sliding and what with the lockdown and working from home shite I am back to the midnight toping again.

Nothing bad, no damage to my health, or work or marriage but I just hate that it has this claim on me, there is no need for the damn stuff, it's just a stupid waste of money.

I have enjoyed Christmas, I have a few more days to run down the stock and then that's it for a few months at least (hopefully).
Have you ever thought of nerding out, or some other hobby that will suck all your free money up?

Have you ever thought of nerding out, or some other hobby that will suck all your free money up?
Actually the money aspect was what kept me on the straight and narrow for the year I mentioned.

I calculated how much I was spending on "my quiet evening sup" (actually usually a bottle of wine or a substantial bit of a bottle of spirits) and adding it up over the week and getting a nasty surprise. So as a treat when I went a week without a drink I bought myself a silver coin or two. I would look online for interesting ones, not rare or exceptional value coins, just commemorative Canadian or Australian ones, or bog standard US Silver Eagles or Royal Mint Britannias, nothing a serious collector would look at but a nice wee pile nonetheless.

By the end of the year I had a jolly little stash of silver coins I could lift up and admire and cackle over like Scrooge McDuck, all of it still worth the money that I would have pissed away in the middle of the night if I had spent it on booze.

I am going to try that again, it's a good trick to reward yourself if you are trying to quit smoking or cutting back on booze, it reminds you of just how much money you waste on the bloody stuff.

Actually the money aspect was what kept me on the straight and narrow for the year I mentioned.

I calculated how much I was spending on "my quiet evening sup" (actually usually a bottle of wine or a substantial bit of a bottle of spirits) and adding it up over the week and getting a nasty surprise. So as a treat when I went a week without a drink I bought myself a silver coin or two. I would look online for interesting ones, not rare or exceptional value coins, just commemorative Canadian or Australian ones, or bog standard US Silver Eagles or Royal Mint Britannias, nothing a serious collector would look at but a nice wee pile nonetheless.

By the end of the year I had a jolly little stash of silver coins I could lift up and admire and cackle over like Scrooge McDuck, all of it still worth the money that I would have pissed away in the middle of the night if I had spent it on booze.

I am going to try that again, it's a good trick to reward yourself if you are trying to quit smoking or cutting back on booze, it reminds you of just how much money you waste on the bloody stuff.
Not a bad trick at all. Maybe go for two ounces a week?? Great way to build up a hoard.

What about a smoker and spending your money on that bottomless pit of a hobby?

I'm going to be more chilled out.
Go fishing more often.
Get off my arse and do a lot more walking.
Finish those jobs around the house that I've started and not finished.