• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Your Book of the Year 2012

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That time of year for people to reflect on how the past 12 months have gone. In this one, it would be good to hear what you thought your best book of 2012 was.

My own selections are:

Non-Fiction
"Stumpy and the Auld Sapper" by Rab Orr - one of, if not the, funniest books to come out of Op BANNER! I defy anyone not to find some belly-laughs in between these covers.

Fiction
"Two Brothers" by Ben Elton - great book and one which I will return to frequently I suspect. Well written, great characterisation and the way he picked up the atmosphere of pre-war Berlin as the Nazis started to use their power is almost frightening.

Arty-Farty
Vettriano's "Women in Love" for the visual arts and JB Brown's "The Blood of Kings" for written art.

There have been quite a few biographies and personal memoires but the one that sticks with me this year was "Tomorrow you Die" by Andy Coogan about his time as a FE POW but also about how he grew up and then lived the rest of his life.

It would be good to hear what books other ARRSERs thought stood out this year - over to you.

Not exactly a recent offering but I've just finished 'Bronson', written by the Birdman himself. It's a shit book, but a good (albeit very sad) look into the mind of Britain's most dangerous nut job. It gets my vote because it's the only book I've read all year.

oldbaldy

LE
Non fiction. 'Sir they're taking the kids indoors' Ken Wharton. A must read for those who were there and those who want to know what it was like in the early 70s.

Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. I know it was 2009 Man Booker prize winner but got it for my birthday and could not put it down. A big different insight on Tudors of Henry the VIII's reign. Read in conjunction with the other Boleyn Girl for two side of the same story.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Best non fiction for me was Screwed by Ronnie Thompson, about working in a prison with all the gloss removed, its funny, shocking and an eye opener.
Being an ex screw i was a bit sceptical but he had me hooked from page one, its so very very real and a cracking read.
Best fiction book but based on facts is Alamein by Iian gayle, nice blend of characters with a solid knowledge.

He also wrote four days in june a brilliant fiction based on the battle of waterloo

... .... .. -

I got a great book earlier this year called Outlaws, about the formation of the English chapters of the Outlaws MC from various Midlands independent MCs coming together. There's a great chapter about the Warwickshire-based Pagans MC under siege at their clubhouse from Leicester bikers, Ratae MC. Shotguns, petrol bombs, axes, baseball bats, knives, the ******* lot.

Another chapter describes how the Pagans go to a biker rally in the Irish Republic, and join up with other Irish bikers in a pitched battle against Irish and British Hell's Angels, in a Braveheart-style charge. The IRA end up coming along and ordering all non-Irish MCs to be on the next ferry home.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have a few good books that I have read this year. In no particular order:

Sparticus: The Gladiator by Ben Kane (Reviewed)
Sparticus: Rebellion by Ben Kane (Reviewed)
The Prophet by Ethan Cross (Reviewed)
Orphan of Islam by Alexander Khan

There is also 2 that I read last year that I go back too - that deserve a mention - when I have ran out of books and they are:

Outlaws Inc by Matt Potter (Reviewed)
Century of Jihad by John Mannion (Reviewed)

Not exactly a recent offering but I've just finished 'Bronson', written by the Birdman himself. It's a shit book, but a good (albeit very sad) look into the mind of Britain's most dangerous nut job. It gets my vote because it's the only book I've read all year.
According to someone in the know he isn't quite the legend he appears to be, apparently he's a ******* nuisance who years ago used to habitually get everyone put back behind their doors for hours on end when he kicked off, not very popular so it was into seg then into his own little home from home.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
According to someone in the know he isn't quite the legend he appears to be, apparently he's a ******* nuisance who years ago used to habitually get everyone put back behind their doors for hours on end when he kicked off, not very popular so it was into seg then into his own little home from home.
He is disliked by a lot of cons for messing up association time, and the officers because he is trying to keep up his image.
I have had dealings with cons a lot more scary than him.
Saying that his rep has kept him in and the fact he is the most institutionalized prisoner i have come across, he just could not cope on the outside with no regime, no one to gripe to because he can and no one to big it up to.
He does however have a wicked sense of humour.
He often has articles printed in a prison magazine as did that kiddie fiddler cnut jonathon king

... .... .. -

Latest Threads