Your Book of the Year 2012

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Auld-Yin, Dec 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That time of year for people to reflect on how the past 12 months have gone. In this one, it would be good to hear what you thought your best book of 2012 was.

My own selections are:

Non-Fiction
    "Stumpy and the Auld Sapper" by Rab Orr - one of, if not the, funniest books to come out of Op BANNER! I defy anyone not to find some belly-laughs in between these covers.

Fiction
    "Two Brothers" by Ben Elton - great book and one which I will return to frequently I suspect. Well written, great characterisation and the way he picked up the atmosphere of pre-war Berlin as the Nazis started to use their power is almost frightening.

Arty-Farty
    Vettriano's "Women in Love" for the visual arts and JB Brown's "The Blood of Kings" for written art.

There have been quite a few biographies and personal memoires but the one that sticks with me this year was "Tomorrow you Die" by Andy Coogan about his time as a FE POW but also about how he grew up and then lived the rest of his life.

It would be good to hear what books other ARRSERs thought stood out this year - over to you.

2. Dave Gorman Vs The Rest of The World. Very Funny book, Basically Dave Gorman on another adventure meeting weird people.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not too sure that the devil is totally to blame, but there are many people who would agree that the Bible is book of the year.

Well spotted!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not exactly a recent offering but I've just finished 'Bronson', written by the Birdman himself. It's a shit book, but a good (albeit very sad) look into the mind of Britain's most dangerous nut job. It gets my vote because it's the only book I've read all year.

5. 14 by Peter Cline, and 11-22-63 by Steven King were two audiobooks that I found hard to turn off.

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Non fiction. 'Sir they're taking the kids indoors' Ken Wharton. A must read for those who were there and those who want to know what it was like in the early 70s.

7. Dunno about you lot but 50 shades has fucked up my non-pub nights..royally.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I, Lucifer is an amusing story.

9. Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. I know it was 2009 Man Booker prize winner but got it for my birthday and could not put it down. A big different insight on Tudors of Henry the VIII's reign. Read in conjunction with the other Boleyn Girl for two side of the same story.

10. Terry Pratchett's "Snuff", got it as a birthday present. Sam Vimes at his best.

11. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Orphan of Islam wot written by an Arrser.

12. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Best non fiction for me was Screwed by Ronnie Thompson, about working in a prison with all the gloss removed, its funny, shocking and an eye opener.
    Being an ex screw i was a bit sceptical but he had me hooked from page one, its so very very real and a cracking read.
    Best fiction book but based on facts is Alamein by Iian gayle, nice blend of characters with a solid knowledge.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He also wrote four days in june a brilliant fiction based on the battle of waterloo
    [​IMG]
    ... .... .. -

13. davidflies

davidflies War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, Snuff

14. I got a great book earlier this year called Outlaws, about the formation of the English chapters of the Outlaws MC from various Midlands independent MCs coming together. There's a great chapter about the Warwickshire-based Pagans MC under siege at their clubhouse from Leicester bikers, Ratae MC. Shotguns, petrol bombs, axes, baseball bats, knives, the ******* lot.

Another chapter describes how the Pagans go to a biker rally in the Irish Republic, and join up with other Irish bikers in a pitched battle against Irish and British Hell's Angels, in a Braveheart-style charge. The IRA end up coming along and ordering all non-Irish MCs to be on the next ferry home.