Your Best Cultural Cuisine Recipe

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by ghost_us, Nov 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before my current job in IT, I used to be a chef. I was classically trained french however, one of my instructors was actually a brit. He was missing a few fingers, had a rather solid temper, and absolutely hated whistling while you chopped. I was told he cooked for the Queen at some point in his career. Seeing as how he was an instructor at the school I never questioned the veracity of that.

That being said, I like to cook new things now and then and I'm always on the lookout for authentic recipes.

I've read about 50 million articles on "How to cook a proper yorkshire pudding" but have yet to try one. Most seem to favor having the pan very hot before pouring.

Anyway, what's your favorite recipe that you consider authentic and culturally represents you?

Also, as an aside. I find that scotland and nova scotia have a boatload of similarities between the stuff they will eat/cook/pick up . Head Cheese and Haggis come to mind.
  2. I don't know if this ''culturally represents'' me (I'm American), but my absolutely favorite meal is pot roast with egg noodles, stringbeans, hot buttered rolls and lots of gravy.

Dessert: Devil's food cake with vanilla icing.
  3. Faggots Peas & Gravy,piping hot. Cultural cuisine from the valleys.
  4. Meat pie,stewed eels,mash and liquor, washed down with a mug of strong tea and a few chunks of bread to mop up the liquor. London's finest.
  5. get yourself a right good haggis neeps and taties dish with a very nice glengoyne sauce, my local distiliry, tell ye do ir right and youll be amazed

rifle firing, rifle firing, rifle firing, rifle stops..............arse!

6. Ah, "cut ye up wi' ready sleight"

I always found this amusing:

7. Quote: Shaka said:
    <Faggots Peas & Gravy,piping hot. Cultural cuisine from the valleys. >

(Sorry chaps, haven't learned how to quote other posts properly yet)

Agree with the quote, but they must be MUSHY peas.

I'll also include 'Steak and Kidney Pud, chips and lashings of thick gravy'.
  8. Scotch broth, for me. A big steaming plate when you're fresh in from the cold, thick enough so the spoon stands upright by itself. Serve with a smidge of cream poured in just before serving and plenty of hot buttered crusty bread.

Damn, I'm hungry all of a sudden.
  9. Another Jockanese one for the cold days: Cullen Skink.

I make mine with 50/50 smoked/unsmoked fish, and if possible with home-made fish stock.

A wee dab of creamy four star milk before serving, or cream if you're feeling like a southern jessie, black pepper and served with crusty bread or oatcakes.

Agree with smartascarrots - proper cold weather food means the spoon standing up. And I'm feeling peckish all of a sudden.
  10. Rag pudding, chips, peas [of the mushy variety]and gravy. Mug of tea and 6" stack of buttered, white, stodgy bread.

For the uneducated ... rag puddings spanking gorgeous
  11. This is my favourite, you will find me cooking it most Sundays singing along to my CD, whilst all the cats in the neighbourhood have their tiny paws in their ears:

Roast Dinner, stuffing, loads of roast potatoes, fresh veg, bread sauce.
    Followed by Fruit Crumble and homemade Custard.

:D :D
  12. From the Empire: Kedgeree - preferably with lots of hot Hollandaise and NO raisins.

From home: Roast Lamb or Beef. Proper Horseradish or Mint Sauce.

From being on tour: Nasi Goreng from the Dutch Army.
  13. We will not hold that against you.

Beef with chunky veg cooked in red wine with herbs de provance.
  14. ....anything from my local 'Bay Of Bombay' restaurant.
  15. The perfect English of course..
    Bacon- drycure and grilled to a light crispy.
    Mushrooms- saute in butter.
    Eggs- scrambled to fluffy, black pepper on brown toast with smoked salmon.
    Tomato- grilled.
    Tea- strong brew of English Breakfast served from a tea pot (milk added LAST of all).