Young TA Officer?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Rhuaridh, Nov 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am aware that this has probably been covered in the past however I shall carry on regardless. I’m 19 and in my second year of my LLB and prior to applying to university I was absolutely determined I was going to be an officer however due to advice from careers officers and my parents I went to university first. Now I’m doing a good degree and taking 4-12 years out of my career would render my hard work at university borderline obsolete. Many will suggest joining the UOTC however I had a long conversation with their representatives during fresher’s week and I was not impressed with their scruffy appearance and altogether unprofessional attitude (seemed to be trying to convince me that cheap drink and curry was the main reason I should join rather than providing basic skills in leadership etc in order to strengthen my application to Sandhurst). Anyway I am beginning to rabble so I will come to my main point, what are the realistic chances of me gaining a commission as TA officer at present?

2. Which University are you at?

3. I am at Stirling, maybe I just got the wrong impression of the UOTC but im not overly keen on the whole idea TBH

4. No no, the impression is right.

OTC Is a drinking club with a Millitary theme.

5. RM mate of mine has worked with the OTC - said he had a better opinion of cadet forces than OTC...

6. I don't stay in Stirling though I live in Hamilton and drive in.

7. We used similar tactics at our freshers fayre, simply because most Uni students glazed over as soon as we mentioned the serious stuff. - The UOTC can be a glorified drinking club with a bit of green stuff to 'get out of the way' if you want it to be. However it can also be very green and offer you valuable training and advice with regards to commisioning.

8. msr

msr LE

Excellent.

Get down to your local unit and start the process.

msr

9. 6 SCOTS has their headquarters at Maryhill and is your local TA inf unit. Why not give them a call or PM me.

10. Or realise that uni is essentially about drinking and bonking and therefore there might be a (limited) point to Tayforth?

11. Hear, hear. I am so sodding sick of people badmouthing the OTC. It is not meant to be an equivalent of the TA. The OTC can be a fantastic resource for POs and I make no apologies for people who are arrogant-every unit has them and certainly people can get an inflated sense of their own importance from all that officer chitchat.

Likewise, it's rather difficult to get hungover students to the OTC if they start thinking they'll be deployed as soon as they sign!

Anyway, that's me being indignant.

12. Your local options are Infantry in motherwell or Signals in East kilbride. Potential Officers are gold dust so both will take your hand off, pm me if you want to chat about the East Kilbride option.

13. That comes as somewhat of a surprise because I read on here before that the average age of new officers in the TA was 25-30 and I thought my age and "lack of life experience" (as they so poetically put it) would severely hinder my chances?

14. msr

msr LE

That is based on what you have posted. Like I said: get down to your local unit and speak to them.

msr