Young shooters - BBC off on another one...

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by HE117, Mar 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone pick up on the story that went out this morning on the Today programme..

Not content with:

1. Libya
    2. Japan
    3. The Budget

The BBC thought it was worth dragging up a piece by Danny Shaw that "Thirteen children under the age of 10 have been issued with shotgun certificates in the UK over the past three years."

BBC News - Children under 10 issued shotguns, BBC learns

Well, slap me in the face with a Kipper!

Despite the fact that children under 15 have to be directly supervised by a competant and licenced adult, and all such applications will have been vetted by senior police at the highest level...

1. Where is the slightest shred of evidence that this is a problem.

2. Why, if this action has been carried out with the approval of senior Police does ACPO have a problem with it (.. and see 1.)

Is it only me that sees this as an appalling piece of sh1t stirring, lazy and incompetent reporting..?

I do hope BASC et al will sue (..but I doubt it)

2. I'm afraid the outrage shooting brake just left with the beaters on board...but if you run you might catch them up at the first stand?

edited to add: Those of us who shoot and have well-disciplined and adequately supervised children have no issue with this. However if you were a vegan, libral, news room intern living in a flat in one of London's gun-crime blackspots, who donates to RSPCA and buys the IFAW address stickers...well then I guess your perspective would be different??

3. I found the readers replies interesting, in particular this one:
    In terms of both shotguns and firearms, young people should only be issued with PROVISIONAL licences - allowing training, etc., under supervision - until they reach the age of, say, 17, and possession of the weapon should always apply to the adult supervisor, who will be ultimately responsible for use. (A bit like motor vehicle driver licensing.)

Somebody missed the boat.

What's that saying again, if it aint broke---

4. Headline: "Responsible young people in rural areas meet all legal criteria for shotgun ownership." What does the BBC find newsworthy about this?

5. They should actively encourage young people to take up shooting, and promote responsible gun ownership at an early age. What they shouldn't do is allow nouveau-rich 40-50 year olds to take it up. I would suggest that these know it all ******* are the biggest risk to other shooters, protected species and themselves than any supervised kid could ever be.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You could not be more wrong.

Shooting in UK gets a pounding because it is seen as a niche sport, a few strange country folks and some posh gits wearing tweed, and some odd balls who hang around ranges in remote areas.
    Germany has this bit right, participation and acceptability from all tiers of society, including plenty of rich 40-50 year old lawyers that you would wish to alienate from your club......

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well I finally bit the bullet and registered if only to register my disgust with the BBC and its standard of reporting. Whether or not I get written off as a nutter (likely) remains to be seen.

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I made a formal complaint about this via the BBC website. Parliament and the police take the view that properly supervised young children may safely use shotguns. In the context of the Derek Bird inquests and the associated review of firearms legislation, this was clearly an attempt to influence public opinion, not 'news' in the normal sense.

Complain to the BBC here

9. Cow

Cow LE

And me. Their reporting is poor and unbalanced and will do nothing to adjust the attitudes of people who are anti-weapons in all cases rather than in cases of the misuse.

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Have done so.

11. Seems like a perfectly decent piece of reporting to me and, as a pro shooting but non gun owner, can't see what you find to complain about.

It is relevant, because gun laws are under review, and it is in the public interest because we are all potential victims if the gun laws go wrong.

Granting a shotgun licence to a child who us under the age of criminal responsibility is also worthy of discussion and is news in that I bet virtually nobody except those involved knew this was possible.

Most of the piece goes to support responsible gun ownership, and highlights the point that young guns have to be supervised so what is the problem?

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its not reporting news though is it? Its not a big issue at the moment so why does some BBC news exec decide to make it one?

13. Cow

Cow LE

My problem was with their headline which was only there to grab attention, it was incorrect and covering a subject which has been covered before and is not news. The tone of the artical puts the issue of SG Certificates to children under 10 as wrong, yet I'm not aware of any reported crimes/accidents from this age group? They're fully supervised at all times (required by law) and exposure to firearms can only build respect in the long term.

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Because the subtext is that this situation is, in some ill defined way, extraordinary, or that it is a problem which has not been addressed. Neither is the case. The fact that a child may have a shotgun licence when below the age of legal responsibility is irrelevant because they may not use any shotgun so licenced without adult supervision.

I heard this on Radio 5Live and the context was that the presenter was suggesting that there was a problem which needs to be dealt with. I'm not aware of any recent shotgun rampages by supervised seven year olds. What's the big deal? In reality this was lobbying disguised as news, and that is why I complained.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

CPunk is 100% on the mark, this isnt anti BBC ranting though lord knows they deserve it, this is about pointing out to a monolithic public service that they need to do their job and not lobby against legal activities!
    in these times of financial restrictions I am minded to remember the BBC being taken to task by Square Eyes in Private Eye. Why do we need on the 10 O'clock news to see a live report from outside the law courts or a now closed office block, it adds nothing to the story which couldnt be added using the live footage shot whilst the reporter was there during open jhours other than to increase costs!
    BBC get a grip!