Young Pilot

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Johnny_Norfolk, Jul 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see a 16 year old who was flying solo crashed his plane and died.

Do you think a 16 year old should be allowed to fly solo when you need to be 17 to drive a car. ?

2. Yes. They've been flying solo at 16 for decades and this must be the first such fatality for a long time. Flying teaches them responsibility and independence. And he would not have been allowed to go solo unless the CFI had complete faith in him.

It is terribly sad, and his parents will be distraught, but he died doing something he wanted to do.

Litotes

3. It does seem as though there may have been a problem with the plane - he diverted his plane away from a block of flats and a playground before he crashed - At least the parents can take something away from that. His father was at the flying club and saw it happen - it must be terrible.

I would question whether they should be allowed to fly at that age - but if they're good enough and have parental consent I wouldn't stop them

4. Well, I can't comment on whether his age or experience had any bearing on the accident, but it's a shame. I don't think they should stop 16 year olds flying though.

5. Got a link for this? 8O

6. BBC

7. Somehow I feel the maturity in his decision answers that question

8. Cheers crabby.

Very sad news.

I dont think the age thing has much to do with it. If his instructor thought he was up to the job, he would not have allowed him to go solo. The decision to let your stude go solo is not an easy one, although the old saying of 'if in doubt, there is no doubt' does make it easier. I'm sure his decision would have been that bit more considered too due to his studes age. There are people who are twice his age who I would never allow to go solo!

It will be interesting to read the AAIB report when it comes out.

9. Fifteen hours is damned low though and about the same as a Spitfire pilot being sent up to face the Hun in both wars when things were a lot more desperate.

Brave lad.

10. When I was considering an RAF scholarship (I was a very misled and innocent teenager) they offered a 20 hour flying package, at the end of which it was expected for you to have gone solo a couple of times.

A common misunderstanding is on the length of time - pilots in WWII often did go up after as little as 8 hours in their aircraft type, but they had many more hours on other types of aircrafts (although still nowhere near enough)

Any pilot gains my respect for what they do - just don't tell them that or you'd never hear the end of it

11. i just read about this in my local paper, truely sad the bloke only lived 5 minutes away from me and went to the same school as my current bird. Got to give the guy credit by steering away from the block of flats and if anyone has seen the pics he ended up nose straight down.

12. I suspect that one would have to be a very switched on cookie in the first place to get an RAF flying scholarship; which means of course that soloing by 20 hours is that much more likely than if one was a member of a private flying club like the lad concerned here.

You're right about those that fly though. :D

13. What has this got to do with the RAC?

14. Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds, - and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
    I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or ever eagle flew -
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

- John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Well done young Captain, you steered your aircraft away from the houses and buildings, you did your best, Requescant In Pace.

15. At 14 years old
    You can drive a tractor on farmland
    You can ride a horse on the road without wearing a riding hat

At 15 years old
    You can possess a shotgun certificate

At 16 years old
    You can leave school
    You can have a full time job if you have officially left school - you can't work full time until the last Friday in June, even if you have turned 16 before this.
    You can sell scrap metal
    You can become a street-trader
    You can leave home (with your parents or guardians permission)
    You can get married (with your parents or guardians permission)
    You can apply for your own passport
    You can claim social security benefits in your own right
    You can join a trade union
    You can get a National Insurance Number
    You can choose your own doctor
    You can consent to or refuse dental or medical treatment
    You have to pay for prescriptions (except in certain circumstances)
    You can go into a pub without an adult (but you cannot buy alcohol)
    You can buy liqueur chocolates
    You can have consenting sex (including homosexual sex) if you and your partner are both over 16
    You can buy the morning after pill
    You can drink beer, wine or cider whilst eating a meal in a restaurant or an eating area of a pub, but not in the bar (and you must be accompanied by someone over 18 )
    You can bet on the football pools
    You can buy lottery tickets and scratch cards
    You can buy premium bonds
    You can buy aerosol paints
    You can buy cigarettes and tobacco
    You can join the armed forces with your parents or guardians permission (if you're a boy)
    You can open an ISA (Individual Savings Account)
    You have to pay adult price for bus or train tickets (some places have concessions for school students)
    You can take your driving test (if you're disabled)
    You can drive a moped/scooter (up to 50 cc), an invalid carriage and some tractors
    You can fly solo in a glider
    You can apply for Legal Aid, advice and assistance

Source

And from the CAA.
    http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20C.pdf

Student pilots may act as Pilot-in-Command from their
    16th birthday provided they act only in accordance with
    instructions given by a flying instructor, hold a valid
    JAR-FCL Medical Certificate and, generally, fly only in
    UK territorial airspace. There is no minimum age for
    dual instruction, but any received before the age of 14
    is not countable towards the experience requirements
    specified in this document.

Despite this unfortunate accident, I think it is safer to send a 16 year old solo flying, than sending a 16 year old solo driving.

Why IS this in the RAC section?