Young people know nothing about anything

Aphra

Old-Salt
I'm just glad that the evidence of the weird clothes and hairstyles I wore as a teenager aren't available to view online, merely on ancient photographs where the chemical processing has broken down so much that everyone in them seems to be ginger and wearing shades of brown/orange.

I'm even more glad that my youthful (and some not so youthful) high jinks, indiscretions and outright idiocy are confined to my fast failing memory and perhaps that of the select few...

I'm just glad that the evidence of the weird clothes and hairstyles I wore as a teenager aren't available to view online, merely on ancient photographs where the chemical processing has broken down so much that everyone in them seems to be ginger and wearing shades of brown/orange.

I'm even more glad that my youthful (and some not so youthful) high jinks, indiscretions and outright idiocy are confined to my fast failing memory and perhaps that of the select few...
You, and the vast majority of Arrsers ;)

enpointe

Old-Salt
But are they authoritative? Anyone can post nonsense on Wikipedia. That is one problem, and the other is context. The classic example is the Tomato - biologically a fruit, but not a welcome addition to a fruit salad or a fruit pie.
I'm sorry if you can't or won't acknowledge peer-reviewed literature, the actual law or international evidence based expert consensus, then there is no helping you

maybe you need some new tinfoil

Yokel

LE
I'm sorry if you can't or won't acknowledge peer-reviewed literature, the actual law or international evidence based expert consensus, then there is no helping you

maybe you need some new tinfoil

Are you confident that a quick search on Google or using Alexa/Siri will always yield a trustworthy and up to date result?

Last edited:

enpointe

Old-Salt
Are you confident that a quick search on Google or using Alexa/Siri will always yield a trustworthy and up to date result?
certainly a search on a decent search engine will, as for the vocie assistants - GIGO aside , why would they not use authorative sources

also the suggestion that wikipedia is somehow inaccurate in terms of none ticny niche topics tends to come from those who have the yugest egos and a tenuous relationship with facts

endure

GCM
certainly a search on a decent search engine will, as for the vocie assistants - GIGO aside , why would they not use authorative sources

also the suggestion that wikipedia is somehow inaccurate in terms of none ticny niche topics tends to come from those who have the yugest egos and a tenuous relationship with facts
And an uncooperative spullchicker...

Yokel

LE

Really? Are you claiming that Wikipedia is never wrong?

Well there’s wrong and there’s wrong, isn’t there? Take, for example, the Sea Dart missile and its deployment in the Falklands War. If an article said “the Sea Dart system was employed on 5 RN type 42s and two ARA type 42s in the conflict, for a total of 7“ then that is true on one level, but not the entirety of the the deployment in the war.

Whereas “HMS INVINCIBLE was sunk by enemy action during the War” is just entirely bollox.

enpointe

Old-Salt
Strawmanning

evenin in 2005 the view was that Wikipeida had the potential to be as accurate if not more so than the commercial offerings - and quicker to be corrected ...

and research keeps repeating that kind of assertion

Strawmanning

evenin in 2005 the view was that Wikipeida had the potential to be as accurate if not more so than the commercial offerings - and quicker to be corrected ...

and research keeps repeating that kind of assertion

Depend, much, on what you are after.
Historical stuff, which has many original written sources, is fine.
Modern events, however, can be manipulated.
As we saw with Bell Pottinger etc, who would 'spin' their clients' pages

We have a few young troopers and officers in our Sqn at the moment all around the 20 - 24 age bracket, and they're all massively envious of the clubbing I did in my early 20's at places like Gatecrasher, Goodgreef, Sundissential, Slinky etc from 1999 to around 2009. It would seem they all wish that scene still existed and they're in awe of all the old videos on Youtube of all the wild nights out we had with everyone just enjoying themselves instead of spending all night taking selfies.
As much as I hate that 40 is rapidly approaching for me, I'm glad that I was young when I was compared to the sterile and social media obsessed lives they have now.

We have a few young troopers and officers in our Sqn at the moment all around the 20 - 24 age bracket, and they're all massively envious of the clubbing I did in my early 20's at places like Gatecrasher, Goodgreef, Sundissential, Slinky etc from 1999 to around 2009. It would seem they all wish that scene still existed and they're in awe of all the old videos on Youtube of all the wild nights out we had with everyone just enjoying themselves instead of spending all night taking selfies.
As much as I hate that 40 is rapidly approaching for me, I'm glad that I was young when I was compared to the sterile and social media obsessed lives they have now.
Not just clubbing, a mate employs a young builder who spends hours watching old grand prix on youtube, he is deeply envious that we saw them first hand.
He won't even watch the current races.

Me at our local market "Three of these. They are 99p each."
Kid on till reaches for calculator...
I believe they are allowed calculators in exams now as long as they can show the working out alongside.

Latest Threads