Young people know nothing about anything

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
This is a very disappointing thread. Young person does not get cultural reference from 1950s. Then someone else does not know one film director. Bet neither of them remember the celebrations when Ladysmith was relieved....

I thought that this about them not knowing how to jump start a car, work out why the oven does not work, or how to find things.
My son now knows how to jump start a car using jump leads or even bump starting. Daughter can also use jump leads. Last week daughter learned how to replace the battery in the car remote. Son helped me replace the dying car battery on his car. Then thanked me for showing him how. He also knows the basics of doing stuff like checking oil, water & tyre pressures, as does daughter.

Their play list in the car includes some 80s tracks.

However, son is doing a MSc in Computer Science and programs stuff that I don't understand despite me being a competent Fortran 77 / Basic / Visual Basic programmer. They listen to Radio 1, I listen to radio 2 and Heart 80s.

Daughter is doing a Medical Engineering degree and knows stuff about Chemical Engineering and Materials Science that I forgot about 30 years ago. She will be good in her field when she graduates and will have different skills to me.

You forget how much information you have absorbed over 60 years of life.

I came out with some fact the other day and my oppo who is a similar age to me said "you don't half know some shit.."

In 40 years the kids will be telling their kids about Ed Sheeran like we talk about The Beatles, and how cool an ipad was and their kids will roll their eyes.

My son now knows how to jump start a car using jump leads or even bump starting. Daughter can also use jump leads. Last week daughter learned how to replace the battery in the car remote. Son helped me replace the dying car battery on his car. Then thanked me for showing him how. He also knows the basics of doing stuff like checking oil, water & tyre pressures, as does daughter.

Their play list in the car includes some 80s tracks.

However, son is doing a MSc in Computer Science and programs stuff that I don't understand despite me being a competent Fortran 77 / Basic / Visual Basic programmer. They listen to Radio 1, I listen to radio 2 and Heart 80s.

Daughter is doing a Medical Engineering degree and knows stuff about Chemical Engineering and Materials Science that I forgot about 30 years ago. She will be good in her field when she graduates and will have different skills to me.

You forget how much information you have absorbed over 60 years of life.

I came out with some fact the other day and my oppo who is a similar age to me said "you don't half know some shit.."

In 40 years the kids will be telling their kids about Ed Sheeran like we talk about The Beatles, and how cool an ipad was and their kids will roll their eyes.
A colleague held up a 3.5” floppy disc for his class to look at:
“Cool, Sir! You 3D printed the ‘save’ icon”…

It must be a media thing. I turned off Radio 4 earlier - a programme with a panel of nonentities trying to guess the ages of other nonentities. WTF is that about? Entertaining, informative, any skill involved? No, just some luvvies who like the sound of their own voices, and a nice little earner for them I'm sure.

I heard that for the first time yesterday. I believe that the concept was dreamed up by the presenter, Richard Osman, who seems to be another on the BBC speed-dial list.

I imagine that his pitch to the BBC commissioning editor must have been something akin to Alan Partridge's for 'Monkey Tennis'. However, in this case the pitch was successful. Can it possibly run to a second series? It seems to have been produced on the premise that, 'It's a pandemic. They'll fùcking listen to anything'.

I've played better, more intellectually stimulating and demanding games in the pub. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where Richard Osman dreamed up the idea.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I heard that for the first time yesterday. I believe that the concept was dreamed up by the presenter, Richard Osman, who seems to be another on the BBC speed-dial list.

I imagine that his pitch to the BBC commissioning editor must have been something akin to Alan Partridge's for 'Monkey Tennis'. However, in this case the pitch was successful. Can it possibly run to a second series? It seems to have been produced on the premise that, 'It's a pandemic. They'll fùcking listen to anything'.

I've played better, more intellectually stimulating and demanding games in the pub. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where Richard Osman dreamed up the idea.
I the pub not where all the best ideas ARE dreamed up?

Duringthe controversy re grave removal last year, and the re-release of the movie, all to do with a certain labrador, I'm sure 'Chastise' was used quite a lot.

By the way...

View attachment 604077
"ARE WE STILL GOING ON ABOUT DIGGER?"................................FFS!

Attachments

• gibson.jpg
    gibson.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 5
If you have never seen it, Google the TV show "How it's made".

Awesome hangover TV, and interesting.

Should be on the Technology curriculum in my book.

Used to love the educational films made by companies for schools, like the one by Shell explaining how an oil distillery worked. Given to LEAs for free and then loaned by them to schools.

Latest Threads