Young people know nothing about anything

There's something about an SLR with a sling that is just wrong. Or is that just me?
You may want to tell these blokes.

1624943519039.png

It’s the way of the world. As someone who had stopped listening to Radio 1 in 1994, I gave up on current music. Mrs R persisted for a bit longer.
I have heard of Ed Sheeran, but have never knowingly heard his music. I could not name a song he has released.
My driving playlist last week was old blues music, Ella Fitzgerald and Motörhead.
And the sooner I can hand over to the new order the better.
Then these will be no longer my driving playlist. Just my home playlist.

No Iron Maiden? The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is an absolute classic. 13+change minutes is a bit long, but it's worth it.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Can be very useful working in tight spaces - and not only saws, welding, shovelling etc.,
Unfortunately I'm the other way round and if I use any tool other than a rifle right-handed I'm an utter spastic . So if there's a tight corner where the only sensible way to saw something is right handed, you'll likely find me attempting a one arm handstand assisted only by copious cursing...

I'm a little dumbfounded by the distress sawing with the left hand causes to some righties. I'm a lefty, and using my Grandad's old wood saws I cut wood accurately and quickly, and with very little effort (like any learned skill, it gets better with practice; I've had my saws for nigh on twenty years and they're beautiful, functional antique tools which are a joy to use and which I keep well maintained).

Before the plague killed my social life, a friend from my rifle club came round with some target frames requiring repair. I started cutting some pine strakes to the required length, and he actually came out with "WTF are you doing?" - apparently watching me cut wood using my left hand made his eyes bleed. Never mind how effective it was, the mere act of using my dominant hand caused him to have a mini melt down.

I normally shoot right handed, but now I've found his Kryptonite, I occasionally shoot left handed just to fcuk with his head.
Most (decent) engineers are left-handed, probably because the world is made right- handed. RH folks have a dominant hand and a useless appendage on the other arm. LH folks learn to use both equally (this is especially useful if working on anything built by the Westlands monkeys bred with an extra elbow mid- humerus).

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Most (decent) engineers are left-handed, probably because the world is made right- handed. RH folks have a dominant hand and a useless appendage on the other arm. LH folks learn to use both equally (this is especially useful if working on anything built by the Westlands monkeys bred with an extra elbow mid- humerus).
Strangely, my (left handed) daughter is off to uni in September studying Engineering...

The only fault I can see in your premise is the fact that I'm a lefty and I've been bodging crap together for the last forty years at least (black nasty, paracord and an extra graunch on the adjustable are all optional).

Strangely, my (left handed) daughter is off to uni in September studying Engineering...

The only fault I can see in your premise is the fact that I'm a lefty and I've been bodging crap together for the last forty years at least (black nasty, paracord and an extra graunch on the adjustable are all optional).
The big fault that I can see in his premise is that he clearly meant mechanics or technicians, not Engineers.

I concur. I'm a lefty but can use either hand with most tools. I can't for the life of me write with my right hand though. Oh and yes, I was a brilliant engineer in the REME.

Chef

LE
This seems to be a thread of two halves:

1) Kids today don't get my references.

2) Kids today don't have as much general knowledge as my day.

On one I'd say it cuts both ways. There's huge swathes of popular culture I know nothing of and why should I? I don't hang out with people two generations younger than me and did that happen when we were younger? I'd say not.

I liked my old man's music, Glen Miller and the like and swore that I'd always get on with pop music, that didn't happen with the arrival of rap music.
My sprogs and their friends reference 'Hot Fuzz' in the same way the Parrot Sketch was in my day and so on.
Mrs Chef had to identify The Who by the title music for 'CSI' tp a late 30s person.

Think about it the 66 world cup means nothing to a 50 something, likewise D-Day (Not that one, Decimal Day, with helpful progs on how it works, title music by The Scaffold)

The Falklands is a date to a 40 year old. Op Banner finished in 2007, who remembers Bernadette Devlin?

As for the general knowledge side of life, modern media is so widespread and so specialized people don't have to watch anything that doesn't interest them directly. I watched 'Panorama', Man Alive' and 'World in Action' not because I was interested in current affairs but because my folks were watching them and I was waiting for the fun programme afterwards. In consequence I picked up bits and pieces that I'd not have done if I'd gone off to my own room to watch Youtube on stuff I like. I'd say that's one reason for less width of knowledge.

The other, as has been mentioned is the instant access to a specific answer to a specific question via smartphones.

I was greatly pleased and surprised when one of the Cheffette's 20 something female friends held forth on the Russo-Finnish winter war.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not only your nose getting it, but your right arm extended to grip the fore stock is going to get pepped with hot brass, with a conventional right hand ejection port.
I fired SLR left handed no problem. Pretty sure it was part of the NIRTT course. I can certainly remember end of course, with 42 Cdo out of Fort Monagh, taking up a left handed fire position to cover a window during a cordon. A marine put me there and made no comment.

Trying to remember whether either the Roupell or Roberts SLR competition demanded a left handed serial.

SMG, my normal personal weapon, not a chance of firing left handed for plenty of reasons.

And the pistol. During the Osnabrück triathlon (1985?), We wore what was comfortable for pistol shooting. I wore tracksuit and web belt. Prepared to take first shot, stung by a bee in the throat, then the belly. And another. And another. Then I realised I was in exactly the right place to collect the hot empty cases from the guy to my left, then drop down inside. That wasn't a good triathlon for me. But it was a day out of the office.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
SLR and SMG left handed no problem so long as drills done properly and no brass near my noggin.
Having stated No in a reply to an earlier post, NIRTT were happy for us to fire SMG left handed wearing a respirator.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The big fault that I can see in his premise is that he clearly meant mechanics or technicians, not Engineers.
Well I've been both a mechanic and an engineer, and an awful lot of bodgery has been well and truly bodged wherever I've gone. And continues to be.

Never been a tech wnaker though...

Chef

LE
Well I've been both a mechanic and an engineer, and an awful lot of bodgery has been well and truly bodged wherever I've gone. And continues to be.

Never been a tech wnaker though...
My course report from a CVRT course at Bovvy said, 'He shows great initiative in using the tools'.

Still not sure if that was praise or a warning to others.

A lot of us old farts know/knew stuff. I truly think that WE are much better informed today due to the interweb.

How many times do we Google something, then half an hour later we are literally a quantum leap away from where we started, after following 'interesting' links, and muttering 'well, I never knew that'?
Interesting points. And true.

With respect to the first sentence the internet is undoubtedly a fantastic source of immediate information which can leave us better informed in minutes versus hours (going to a library, finding books etc). It is also a huge well of garbage, disinformation, lies, trickery and bullshit. However, because us old farts already know stuff from decades of reading, studying etc we are able to process this bullshit because we recognize it for what it is. We use our knowledge base to filter out the crap.

As an example I have read some ingenious "proofs" that the earth is flat (these can be quite clever and "scientific" with lasers and high tech gear). Without some understanding of optics, refraction, temperature inversions etc these can look pretty convincing. Somebody unable to properly process these "proofs" will easily be led to believe in them - thus the huge increase in FE bullshit. Unlike normal science, where you start off with the null hypothesis that you are wrong these sites never question the drivel they are peddling and think they have found a "gotcha".

With respect to the second sentence (linking from site to site) try clicking on the first underlined URL in any Wiki entry. See where you end up after 5 to 7 links. Every page takes you to philosophy after a few links (or should do).

Latest Threads