Young people know nothing about anything

philc

LE
I volunteer with a wide range of people from different back grounds and ages, we have just taken on some around the early 20s who I engage with. Todays conversation to one young man about his bike, a rather nice looking early 50s thing, so you in to the Teddyboy retro look, utter blank, no idea what a Teddy boy was or is, despite the town being invaded by them each year.

Next young girl in mini skirt, sort of velvet waistcoat thing, me, you look like an extra from a Quentin Tarantino movie, utter blank, never hear of him, now these are graduate's, but seem cluless.

Is this normal.

I volunteer with a wide range of people from different back grounds and ages, we have just taken on some around the early 20s who I engage with. Todays conversation to one young man about his bike, a rather nice looking early 50s thing, so you in to the Teddyboy retro look, utter blank, no idea what a Teddy boy was or is, despite the town being invaded by them each year.

Next young girl in mini skirt, sort of velvet waistcoat thing, me, you look like an extra from a Quentin Tarantino movie, utter blank, never hear of him, now these are graduate's, but seem cluless.

Is this normal.
Or rather: you are getting old.

Is this normal.
Yes it is.

In 20-30 years time they'll talk to people younger than them, and will mention names of various people, with the same blank stares they gave you.

anglo

LE

Is this normal.
How much did you know at twenty?
Apart from what you'd learnt at school.

You are old. That’s it.
People do have the capacity to surprise, though. Your cultural touchstones are different to another generation, but we all have much in common.
My workplace recently took on a temp worker. Nice guy in his early twenties, very softly spoken, shy, retiring chap.
He apparently had some form of cancer in his youth which affected his face and speech (which I knew). He is also a very competent saxophone player (which I didn’t know).
The youth: give ‘em time.

Is this normal.

I take it you know everything in the world and beyond.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Do you know your BTC from your ETH? Snap from your Insta? Are you DTF or an Incel? If you don't then i'd suggest old people know nothing about anything :D

Is this normal.
Depending on how they were dragged up or edumacated seeing them try to use a handsaw is usually pretty amusing

Molesworth

Old-Salt
What I do find more and more prevalent is the immediate taking to social media to ask a question which could have been answered by five minutes of RTFM (Read the fu**ing manual). I do feel that the idea of doing your own research is a dying idea.

Depending on how they were dragged up or edumacated seeing them try to use a handsaw is usually pretty amusing
Especially left handed sawers. Watching them makes me cringe.

philc

LE
This is not a dig at young people, more of a what goes on and what on in their worlds, some are very moderate drinkers, some not so. It’s an observation, and yes I know BtEC, Instagram and tick took, however I will confess an ignorance of modern music as it’s shite.

What I do find more and more prevalent is the immediate taking to social media to ask a question which could have been answered by five minutes of RTFM (Read the fu**ing manual). I do feel that the idea of doing your own research is a dying idea.
There is nothing new in this, unfortunately. Despite an abundance of stuff being written down, people will still ask the question to the so-called SME.
The army is particularly egregious. Deference to the SME when stuff is out there is rubbish.
Might have been an excuse in the days of UNICOM, no chance later.
All because no one reads the f***ing manual.

I can understand the Teddy boys reference getting blank stares, as it was over sixty years since the slashing of bus and cinema seats and big shoes, and over forty years since the Shawaddywaddy and Shakin Stevens revival.
But not knowing who Tarrantino is cannot be excused.
I blame the parents.
Those kids obviously weren't brought up properly.

I work alongside younger crewmates and was staggered a few weeks ago when one had never heard of Bruce Springsteen
It’s the way of the world. As someone who had stopped listening to Radio 1 in 1994, I gave up on current music. Mrs R persisted for a bit longer.
I have heard of Ed Sheeran, but have never knowingly heard his music. I could not name a song he has released.
My driving playlist last week was old blues music, Ella Fitzgerald and Motörhead.
And the sooner I can hand over to the new order the better.
Then these will be no longer my driving playlist. Just my home playlist.

Is this normal.
Yes.
You are approaching your sell-by/ disposal date.
These "clueless" kids will be deciding your pain relief med levels, wiping your arssehole, and wheeling you in and out the care home TV room soon enough, and spooning your dinner down your old thrapple while wiping your dribbly chin.
Maybe even deciding if you are worth NHS funds saving your operational bacon eg hips/kidneys.
Play nice.;)

Latest Threads