Young Officers leaving the Army

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by voice, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening.

Still got about a year and a half to push until my three years are up, but slowly starting to look at the merits of staying or leaving.

I was just wondering what job sectors previous departees have moved to after leaving the Army. This is because I'm wondering whether to do any part time post grad quals. I'm currently a Lt, 24 and a Law graduate.

People experiences and advice would be appreciated.
  2. Good evening voice,

Have you considered furthering the law degree whilst serving? A friend of mine (RM Major) has just been paid by HM to qualify as a military lawyer and frankly from here on the world appears to be his oyster.

Just a thought.
  3. I enquired about this a couple of years ago and was given an almighty pill by ALS.....maybe different for RN?
  4. Voice, take a close look in the mirror. If after careful consideration you feel you have what it takes to be an utter utter cnut, the law is for you.

Look at what natural apptitude you have and what interests you. Also, what you want to achieve by leaving. This will help you choose a direction and therefore any training you might need to do.

My view, unless you want to do something REALLY specific like law or project managment which requires PRINCE2 or a job that requires a language, I wouldn't worry about qualifications or professional memberships too much. Being commissioned in the Army is worth far more than anything a buckshee evening class can give you. Plus, if you need a qual, your new employer will probably send you on a course.

To answer your question, I went into account management/business development/sales. No qualifications were neccesary, just a flashman like ability to look and sound convincing. Anyone who can do an estimate, give a set of orders and appear interested in what the CO's wife has to say at the regimental coctail party will always do well in a sales environment. Plus I earn a lot of momey and drop my daughter at School 4 days a week.
  5. I am pretty sure that this system is now changing Goon_Bde.

I do know that the Royal Navy operate a scheme - I also know at least one Sergeant who left the army to pursue that line (it was about 7-8 years ago now - so perhaps he is reading this as a Naval Lawyer).

The ALS have been bellyaching for a while about this - and it used to be a steadfast no! I know of a Cpl that was supposed to be going that way (but she has since left the Unit so I don't know whether it came to fruition).

There must be some ALS types here who can give that party line on it though.
  6. A pretty bog standard career destination would be financial services or insurance in the city. There's a fair bit of variety and the pay's good. Generally speaking army officers are very well regarded. As xinflurker says the Flashman ability to look/sound convincing is a great asset. On top of this I would say that most decent FS or GI companies recognise their weakness in leadership and man management abilities. There are plenty of clever people who can put deals together but fewer who can get teams pulling together to achieve collective targets. I now work in the insurance sector and can safely say that the standard of man management and leadership is truly appalling.

Compared with your peer group you have the very real competitive advantage that the Queen's commission provides. At your age this will mean that you stand out very clearly from your rivals for a job. You will not suffer from the disadvantage that people who have served longer often face ie Your CV looks very impressive and you have a lot of leadership skills but I need someone who has five years experience of x, y or z (insert whatever arcane banking or insurance function you can think of).

Having said all this if you can get a project management qualification such as Prince2 this would be advantageous in my experience. Many roles call for this sort of experience. Army officers can already project manage but having the piece of paper often enables you to get your foot in the door or past the recruitment consultant/HR people.

However whatever you choose to do, make sure that it is something that really interests you!
  7. I kind of agree with the poster who said that if a company wants you to do a course they just send you on it (remember, in Civ St, it is tax deductable). What they want is experience and character.

18 months as a subbie, come on, you havn't even tasted it! Get to Capt and see if you still like it, if not, you have some good saleable skills for life outside.
  8. BTW - if you are reading this and you are a young officer leaving the Army and are interested in a relationship management/sales roles in the marketing/advertising world based in Hampshire/Berksire please PM me.
  9. The replies to my post are gratefully received, thank you. Law is a no-no as I decided during my degree that an amoral life and career wasn’t suitable for me.

I’m still undecided on whether I’m going to leave the Army to be fair, because at the minute I love the job but dislike the lifestyle. It was more of a heads up to see if I could be proactive now and use my spare time productively.

Thanks again