young officer gunners life

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by taff 1980, Nov 27, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :?:
    I'm interested in joining the gunners on completion of sandhurst, would basically like to know what to expect. What will I be doing? Hear thare is plenty of opportunity to do adventure training and that it basically is a good corps to join with plenty of fun
  2. Wrong idea of why an officer. Remember JFK "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country" You'll get out of it what you put into it.
  3. GREAT :roll:

Maybe you should think about the TA
  4. In the past 6 or so years I've been adv trg once. Not through lack of trying, but little things like back to back ops and exercises keep getting in the way. Is it your idea of fun? If not then you're joining for all the wrong reasons matey!
  5. You have been taken in with the glossy brochures and recruitment office bullshit!

You and all others that are considering joining up need to be aware that joining up means you are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice where and when ordered. This is somtimes overlooked & concealed with other more attractive ingredients.

As you should be aware the army is smaller and is becoming even smaller and there are more comitments reducing the amount of time doing more pleasant things.

That aside its a case of right time right place and if I got the choice again I wouldnt change a thing ive had a mega 20 years in the Gunners!
  6. :?:
    but what will be my duty day to day, roughly? what should I expect
  7. Again prospective sir, you are looking at the wrong end of the sighting object. Quite simply, every day should be spent seeking to increase your value to your employer and benefit - in performance not just roast beef and carrots, those under your control. If you expect, wish for, and cannot handle anything other than a routine day, back off now and get a civvy desk job ruled by a union. It is the unexpected - and ability to deal with such situations - that makes the army what it is. We did not have time for adventure training but other than on a selfish and personal level, I cannot see how it beats soldiering under stress.
  8. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

It would be hard to explain exactly what you could be doing with the Royal Regiment being so busy at present. You will be taught the outline of your basic duties at Sandhurst and YOs Branch at Larkhill.
  9. If you want to to do anything remotely exciting or go on operations dont go to AD.
  10. The Future what exactly?

Personally I would recommend that you go field as you'll have more to do in the work part.
    If you want Adv Trg go Hairy Bender as you'll end up doing Cyprus and N Ireland a lot.
    If you want to do not much at all go 39 they do nowt.
    5 Regt have the 6 on 12 off prospect in Eyerack for the foreseeable future so choose wisely.
    Don't forget the Light and Shite, coloured beret gangs as you'd get a lot of travelling in with them.
  11. GunnersQuadrant

Only if you are into airfix models of course.
  12. GunnersQuadrant

Only 5 tours of Ireland and 2 shadow tours in 5 years, apart from that.......... Just MLRS training
  13. And that is going to get Rodney to join you then!!! :twisted:
  14. So we have gone the full circle and back to buisness and pleausure available and the Op tours of Ireland and Cyprus are cracking opurtunities for all ranks that can be bothered to get some AT and more importantly get some AT Quals , but sadly these oppurtunities are not exploited due to all and sundry hooking into the piss when they get free time!

That old saying off taking a horse to water and making it drink springs to mind.

Although if you end up at Kings Troop as an Officer your daily routine includes inspecting the dung heap and ensuring that it is presentable and squared off to the regulation height!