Youd think wed be bursting at the seams

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Apr 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. You would think. But if you were unemployed, wanting to work and were anyway inclined towards the military, which of the two options would you most likely choose. Part time or full time? Having experienced the T.A. "recruitment" process (as an ex reg), I'm not wholly surprised when the discussion of T.A. manpower shortages comes up....
  3. Absolutely. They are doing their absolute best to produce the most convoluted, long drawn out and generally complex enlistment methodology possible.

Oh, sorry, you meant in terms of actually trying to get people to join ?

No, not our jobspec - and unfunded next year.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Ask yer PSI !!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, the nation today is not as military minded as previous generations. Where people would have known about the TA and what it has to offer because nearly everyone knew somebody in the TA or other Reserve Forces, now if you asked Mr Average they would not have a clue about what the TA has to offer or even what it is there for.

Recruiting can go so far but I would bet that 80-90% of peope joining the TA are people who either know someone in the army/TA or have always wanted to be a soldier. I know in the past when I have spoken to youngsters and mentioned them joining the TA they have nearly always responded with something along the lines of "Why would I want to go and do something like that for?". The days of duty and doing something for your country were well past.
  5. Its all very well recruiting the right stuff.

How the feck do you solve retention.

For every new face in the door, how many actually complete the paper trail survive the RTC and are still there after 2 years later. :help:
  6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Nothing new there - the TA has had - certainly since the '60s, and probably before that - an average annual turnover of around 30%. When you consider how many manage to stay in for years, that means that well over 50% of those who come in and sign on leave within the first 12 months.

There's probably nothing wrong in that - at least they turned up, had a go, and tried - and it's something the TA is very well used to. Just stop, please stop, trying to do anything about it, and learn to live with it, for goodness' sake! Better Men than us have failed to change this, and in periods of far worse economic nastiness than this. Work around it, and increase Recruiting (without relying on RG in any way!).
  7. They need to get a grip of the amount of time it takes to process someone from the day they walk through the door. As allready mentioned above.

Things move fast these days and people generally expect things to happen quickly, especially in this digital age of internet and everything. So when a bloke goes to join the TA and its taking weeks and weeks to get the ball rolling due to paper trails to glasgow and wherever, he or she will obviously lose interest and look towards something else to do with there time.

You will allways have the keen blokes who will stick it out regardless, but for every one keen bloke there are probably five others who sack it before they even start as they will have to wait ages to even hear anything back.
  8. Numbers on a drill sheet = turn out, so if you pop in have a sniff for what the craic is. You appear invisible to those who look at attendance.

Our Btn has had two European camps in a row, we now have Summer challenge to look forward to. Good camps help new toms taffs or sweaties see the good side to the TA. Bad camps well it is hard work trying to convince someone that pish camps are rare.

9. Ask yourself a question:

If they can't wait a few weeks, or put up with a few justified delays, do we want them?
  10. Give us some reasons why they would join and not join regulars instead.

You'd need to find some way of selling the TA in a way that leads to employment. It's possible I suppose, I think it may have been done in the past ...... by past I do mean past. I believe the early TA companies tended to come from the same employer, e.g. Leeds had a Tetley Brewery Bn/Coy, Notts a John Player's , Signals had Royal Mail telephone Coy/Sqns.

I've probably helped one or two people get a job in the past (at least one defo).
  11. MSR,

I’m not quite sure I’m following your argument.
    The TA isn’t the kind of work that would appeal to the unemployed... unless you live in a cardboard box the TA doesn’t come close to paying the rent.
  12. In days of yore, when I joined, it was a simple matter of walking through the door of the Drill Hall, collaring someone and saying, "I'm thinking of joining..." The same night, you'd have signed on the dotted line and been measured up for your uniform. The medical would come within a month and the attestation shortly after that. In the meantime, you'd be loaned a pair of coveralls and you'd be learning some of the basics. Flash to bang, about 30 minutes.

Now, the prospective soldier sees the forbidding fence and the locked gate and wonders how he's supposed to offer his services. He reads through the website and contacts the ACIO. He may travel several miles in the wrong direction to meet the recruiter who, it turns out, is a Regular, has little first-hand knowledge of the TA, no knowledge whatsoever of the local TA units and could well have more of an interest in encouraging the bloke to join full-time - which the bloke doesn't want. It's only then that he hits the long drawn out admin procedures.

Solution? Separate the Regular and TA recruiting. In the current econmic climate, there are plenty of empty shop units within arcades - approach the arcade owners with a view to a loan of an empty unit (their shopping centres will look better if fewer shop fronts are white-washed or boarded) and get a couple of well-versed bods from each local unit to stand around photo boards. These bods also become the chaperones when the prospective soldier turfs up outside the TAC on the drill night. It's currently rare to see a TA recruiting stand anywhere and they're invariably fly-by-night affairs that don't cater for someone who wants to mull over the idea for a few days. Having a fixed presence will gather in all those who have an interest but are a bit shy or don't have serving friends.

Then it's merely a matter of keeping the recruits interested while the admin process chunters away...
  13. I understand where you are coming from, but I don't agree that there should be seperate recruiting. Our solution to the ACIO perhaps being not very well informed of the local TA unit or the TA recruiting process in general is that every Saturday we send a bod over to the ACIO for the day. If anybody comes in during the week, we have a table there with all our information on, and they are told to make contact with the unit or come back in on the Saturday for a chat.
    It does the trick in that respect. We get a few lads who are looking into going regular, but contact our unit just to see what the craic with the TA is.
    Which is actually how I ended up joining part-time myself.
    (However much I may regret it now :D )
  14. Which would be great if ACIOs were open on Saturdays.

15. We've had drivers in afghan and girls on the front line (however bad it was) from the bbc. why not have TA on the front line? About time we showed the general public what actually the TA do in afghan and it is far from stacking blankets in bastion on sangar bashing. Think that would help to improve the image of the TA and show joe public we're not just weekend warriors.

Gone are the days of cold war soldiers and the TA drinking club. It is now a modern professional fighting unit working closely alongside their regular counterparts.

However, if in doubt....Ask your PSI!