You, the audience decide...

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by gymkev1971, May 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm getting a lot of heat from my family about my membership of the TA, particularly as I'm starting a new business and am having the huggle time more than I used to...

I think that this temporary stress will pass and can, in time, get back to normal. My family think I'm wrong.

Do I:

A: Leave and come back when things have settled

B: Stick with it and tell the rest of the family to shove it,

or

c: Divorce my family and forget about it...

Humourous (maybe). But I think it poses an interesting question to those guys who want to get the family clock ticking as well as the TA...

2. msr

msr LE

GymKev,

You need to look at your priorities. I would suggest that they are

1) Family
    2) Job
    3) TA

and then make your decision accordingly...

If things are getting a bit much at the TA - tell your OC and ask for a six month leave of absence.

msr

3. That would be my suggestion..

4. IMO... family first

5. How about D, reduce your commitment, you know, look at the FoE and decide/agree with the CoC what weekends or training you can do that will keep everyone happy...yourself included.

6. msr, you missed out football. What a crime

7. msr

msr LE

No, I didn't ;)

msr

8. Kev, everything I've ever been taught (and I run my own business too) is:

Family First,
    Job Second
    Hobbies Later (and that includes one's duty to the country which domiciles you).

Some of us were taught to be cautious.

9. so did your lot today..... :D

10. I had a similar predicament - reducing my commitment to the bare minimum got me through it. I saw that most blokes who went for a leave of absence rarely came back - probably due to the fact that you have to hand your kit back when you do it. With me it was only for about six months and I missed one Coy W/E and one Bn W/E. Everything was back to normal when I resumed full attendence.

11. Fingers in ears... championship winning season begins

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

This is probably the best way forward. Request an interview, explain your case, and agree terms. Just failing to show up is a sure fire way to lose favour. Honest discussion and ongoing communication is the way to resolve this one in the short term. Only you and your family will have the long term solution.

Duke

13. Can't believe your putting the TA before your family, I'm not bitter and twisted but there is alot more to life than the TA

14. You can take a leave of absence (or career break they might call it) which will cause you no loss of rank or increments. I think it is for up to 2 years. It is a relatively recent thing (i.e within the last hundred years) so some units may not have heard about it, but it is there.

15. L of A deffo way forward. Then again, I suppose it depends on your unit. If you at one that has a sensible structured trg programme, with one essential weekend a month or, one on, one off, it should be able to work out a vital attendance list with your CoC. It becomes harder when you have only one stand down weekend a month and no clear direction. However, family first.