You should read the Flashman papers - trust me tops!

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by NDScott, May 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am sure there are many out there who have read and loved the Flashman books (By George Macdonald Fraser).
    Well if you have not then they really are a fantastic read. Great for history of various wars in 1800s, funny, a bit rude with great plots. They do not have to be read in sequence either (although Flashman is probably a good idea to read first). For me probably Flashman and the Great Game is my fav'. If anyone has any first editions out there (even signed) I love his books so much I now collect his 1st editions., which are getting hard to find.
    I liked the way GMF used footnotes and endnotes so much I have incorporated them in my own books - not that I am comparing myself with the the master (and anyway mine are modern day crime thrillers with an ex Special Int' bloke as the main character. ( :roll: forgive the shameless plug however if you fancy a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1412095182/?tag=armrumser-21)
    :cry: It was a very sad day when I learnt of GMF death last year, shame he can't write from the grave...!?

2. You haven't been here long have you?

Use the search function, to find Flashman , and you'll see he is held in great reverence here.

3. NDScott said:

Maybe it is a good thing he can't write from the grave. I wouldn't want him to ruin the suprise of what to expect once I get there.

Coincidentially, an old friend of mine mentioned and recommended Fraser a while back.

I, for one, will definetly check him out.

4. PTP - forgive me - you are spot on I am a very new kid on the block regarding this great website. I've been lost in rural Australia where those new fangled thingies - computer whats? are just arriving. Honest , most of rural Australia has only just got mobile phone coverage!! That said I am more likely to be attacked by an Emu than a drugged up snotty youth. So pleased to hear GMF is well known out there - he is really a star.

5. Not a criticism ND, an observation :D

If you want to read a great story teller, then search for Auld_Sapper , and his tales of being a dog handler in NI. I'd reserve a couple of hours to read the thread though ;)

6. Well, he's gone to a better place now, quartered safe out of here.

:oops:

7. Rocketeer is going to kick your arrse.

8. I have been reading Flashman since the first books came out in the late '60's. My next door neighbor was a librarian and friend of my mothers who would scoop the latest Flashman off the shelf and bring it home so I could get it as soon as possible. Great stuff.

Also wonderful are GMF's "McAuslan" books, semi-autobiographical fiction involving Pvt. McAuslan the dirtiest soldier ever to don a kilt in the King's service. Hilarious!

I note ND that you like adventure with a touch of the paranormal. If you have not read them look at the work of Phil Rickman. He has written a number of books. Some of them are a series of mysteries in which the protagonist is Rev Merrily Watkins, a CofE priest who is the Deliverence Coordinator (i.e. exorcist) in her diocese. Great characters set in a rural area near the English Welsh border. see Phil Rickman
    A non-Merrily thriller by Rickman is :The Man in the Moss"

I have always thought Flashman was a fun way to learn military history. Then again, as a septic sort, everything I know about British government was learned by watching the "House of Cards" trilogy and many episodes of "Yes Minister" (That is the way the UK is governed, isn't it?)

9. You're too kind :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Quite a lot of reviewers when they first read the Flashman Papers thought they were true. They are a great but my personal favourite is The General Danced at Dawn where you will meet Pte McAuslan - a scruffy git - BUT - a proper soldier who did his bit in the desert.

Well worth a veranda, some peace and quiet and a bottle of good whisky :D

11. Pretty much everything that GMF wrote was, IMO, first rate. My favourite has to be 'Quartered Safe out Here' which is one of the best autobiographies of the WW2 era. I was introduced to him as a young subbie who commissioned into GMF's old regiment and was informed that he was required reading!

12. Thank you one and all. Yes I totally agee with scots_wahey and DavidBOC
    some of GMF other fiction was quite brilliant. Many a time I have been sat somewhere only to get jabbed in the ribs (by she who must be obeyed...) for laughing too loudly (the story of the water tower in the desert sent me into fits of laughter).
    GMF was, will always be a brilliant read.
    Also TY David BOC I will indeed check out the Rickman books. I like to check out the cometiton so to speak. Forgive me, yet again, however (don't you know the pension does not go that far so any plug is worth it) here is the link to my own 'bit' on amazon as well as the official site.
    Moves with spirits, see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1412095182/?tag=armrumser-21 deals with a particularly nasty mudering/evil Corporal in a semi/fictional Scottish infantry regiment in the 1990's and those who are intent on stopping him..!
    More info at: www.ndscott.com and if you do visit thanks for your support.

13. STUMPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

14. Either because I am a confused septic sort or because of extreme mongness I always have trouble with the search function.

I did find a link to one Auld_Sapper tale and the link is below.
    clicky

If you click on Auld_Sapper to go to his profile you can get to all posts by Auld_Sapper and go through them to find the stories. One funny feckin guy, love to meet him over a pint or three.

15. Barsteward I am meant to be revising not reading Sumpy Stories

Might get a bump though just so everyone can relive Stumpy