You old timers had it easy?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
4 mins in we see some paras getting off an RN helicopter.

They’re climbing down a rope as opposed to fast roping.

Anyone know when fast roping became a thing?

964ST

War Hero

Not sure about fast roping But! Climbing Down. I would assume it was prior to the Napoleonetic war!?? Hence short peeps with inferiority complexes!??

The pig in Animal farm.
9896953_orig.jpeg

syrup

LE

First time someone slid and an officer thought that looks great lets all do it

Didn't notice the lad behind him blowing on his hands and tucking them under his armpits

Ironing boards? We made do with a six foot table covered with a blanket GS.
Aye it was tongue in cheek as all the recruits I have seen on TV lately all have ironing boards with them

Travel the world, meet interesting people, then kill them.

Proud to say I did my bit, although it was more a case of plastic bullets and bad language rather than actually killing anyone...

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I was posted to Halton Hospital in 94

More nurses than I could eat and I can conform there was some ultimate filth among them
Why oh why did I join the fecking guards?

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Aye it was tongue in cheek as all the recruits I have seen on TV lately all have ironing boards with them

I was agreeing with you. All the modern documentaries I’ve seen show recruits arriving with ironing boards and irons. We had 20 guys in our room sharing one six foot table and one Morphy Richards steam iron.

you missed your slot, you could be up until 2 in the morning ironing your kit.

Us old timers had it easy? And we had lots of different bits of uniform to press. Wooly pullies , Shirts: Hairy and No 2; Trousers: Lightweight, Barrack Dress, Combats; PT kit, all could be worn in one day. Now it seems that everything is done in the same MTP kit.

(Trying hard not to come over all ‘Four Yorkshiremen’ but failing badly.)

I was agreeing with you. All the modern documentaries I’ve seen show recruits arriving with ironing boards and irons. We had 20 guys in our room sharing one six foot table and one Morphy Richards steam iron.

Us old timers had it easy? And we had lots of different bits of uniform to press. Wooly pullies , Shirts: Hairy and No 2; Trousers: Lightweight, Barrack Dress, Combats; PT kit, all could be worn in one day. Now it seems that everything is done in the same MTP kit.

Morning @ColdWarWorrier,
IRONS! We used to dream of irons.
Luke warm water in a battered mess tin with no handle using the road as a table.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Morning @ColdWarWorrier,
IRONS! We used to dream of irons.
Luke warm water in a battered mess tin with no handle using the road as a table.
And i suppose the bastards of today don’t have bumpers, they probably have top of the range Miele hoovers and shag pile carpet and get issued these.

EA6D62E2-ADF1-4903-8C5D-B04A54565E83.jpeg
£245.00 from Harrods, advertised as Regimental Slippers.

The big poofs.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

One day? Luxury, we could have that in an hour on happy change parade day

Latest Threads