You old timers had it easy?

When the recruitment posters still said a life of adventure see far away places and meet busloads of nurses

Fcuk me, the the RAF even had a few planes back then too.

When the recruitment posters still said a life of adventure see far away places and meet busloads of nurses
See the world and sweep it

diehard57

War Hero
Clocked the guy welcoming the recruits wearing the old denim suit - why don’t they issue something like this stuff for wear in barracks? Smarter and more practical than MTP.

Clocked the guy welcoming the recruits wearing the old denim suit - why don’t they issue something like this stuff for wear in barracks? Smarter and more practical than MTP.

At that time there was still the old battle dress style denims on the go as well, as the battle dress style wore out exchanged for that new type

See the world and sweep it

I remember '67'ish to '68 as a padbrat in Dodesheide, near Osnabrueck, when 3 RTR were there. First time I ever saw the rapid 'eff, 'ight, 'eff, 'ight, 'eff that the blokes were doing in and around the guardroom. I thought it was a shite life being a young soldier as they just seemed to get shouted at, marched at high speed, had to stop and march on the spot until the lazy bloke caught up to them. They also seemed to spend a lot of time painting rocks white, and polishing lots of brass fire extinguishers along with a brass bell outside the guardroom. What a shite life, who'd ever join the army, eh?

Last edited:

diehard57

War Hero
At that time there was still the old battle dress style denims on the go as well, as the battle dress style wore out exchanged for that new type
I was issued the old BD style denims when I was a cadet. I remember the trousers just had slits and not pockets so you could reach in and give your nuts a good scratching. I think they were originally designed to be worn over BD trousers.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
What fecking nurses? They lured us in with all sorts of promises, the bastards.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt

Latest Threads