Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

you must remember to carry one of these at all times.

soxmis card.jpg

Does anyone remember stopping and detaining?
soxmis card page four.jpg

I saw a Rusmix plate on a car near Bremen, phoned the RMP security desk, and they didn’t have a bloody clue what I was on about

View attachment 525413
Does anyone remember stopping and detaining?
View attachment 525416
Still got mine, same number, and all the other top pocket bumf. Heli landing markers, Geneva convention, Exercise damage,rules of engagement, NBC instructions,standing orders for drivers,AD permit. NAAFI shopping permit. Why TF i still have all this shit after 40 years ........................Oh, and a F/IDENT/189, Temp ID card.

Still got mine, same number, and all the other top pocket bumf. Heli landing markers, Geneva convention, Exercise damage,rules of engagement, NBC instructions,standing orders for drivers,AD permit. NAAFI shopping permit. Why TF i still have all this shit after 40 years ........................Oh, and a F/IDENT/189, Temp ID card.
Why?

All the kit in the loft, ready for when the balloon goes up?

Dunno, i squared it away with my Reserve call up papers, just in case, which i had to keep for 3 years, and forgot about them, this thread reminded me, so i dug them out, along with all that stuff, i found my red book, and a shit load of AFG 1033,s some going back to 1972,. and a shit loads of other stuff.

Before we had the plastic credit-card type of ID card, the MoD90 was normal cardboard and was kept in a clear plastic envelope. It was about twice the size of the plastic thing which came later, and most people carried their SOXMIS card inside the envelope along with the Army Driving Permit and BFG driving license.

On my T1 course we had a ‘phantom instructor’ called Ted. We produced TedMis cards in the event of a sighting. He had a real sense of humour failure. Thankfully the CO had already heard about it and demanded that we...send him a card immediately!

The OC of 652 Sqn AAC saw the SOXMIS commander’s car every day but didn’t report it. It soon gets old when you’re next door neighbours.

Wot, no BFG fuel coupons?

XPara Mugg

War Hero
“Wah shield up” Yes

Sorry, but no.

It predates 'the bomb' by a good few years. There was even a 1942 comedy film called When the Balloon Goes Up.

It goes back to the first world war and references the artillery observation balloons which were hoisted near the front lines during attacks. These went up after the preparatory bombardment and marked the moment of handing control of guns to designated commanders. It was also the moment when various other measures were enacted, such as reserves moving up.

Because of limited, real time communication, and the possibility of even these being disrupted, it became a useful visual signal. A bit like a very obvious and (hopefully) persistent flare. It's easy to imagine a commander telling subordinates to carry out a particular action, "When the balloon goes up."

Bugger - beaten to it.