You know you are getting old when...

pinback2001

War Hero
Standing at the bar idly eavesdropping on two young lads chatting. "you'll ken him fine - he's an auld boy, about 30"

Fake Sheikh

On ROPS
On ROPs
Someone says the Year you went in the Army their parents got married!

Very true. The death of one's father somehow makes the world a lonelier place. I think it comes of being looked up to by the kinder whilst simultaneously losing the person one looked up to.
It wasn't so much my Dad passing away, although that was hard to bear at the time. It was this year when the last of my 7 uncles checked out. We have an extended family boxing day bash every year. The oldest family male takes the chair at the head of the table. This year it'll be me, as it will be until I peg out.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it, but the mushlings did suggest that as I take the chair, I should re-enact the closing scene from the Godfather and have all the family swear allegiance to me as they kiss my hand.

It wasn't so much my Dad passing away, although that was hard to bear at the time. It was this year when the last of my 7 uncles checked out. We have an extended family boxing day bash every year. The oldest family male takes the chair at the head of the table. This year it'll be me, as it will be until I peg out.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it, but the mushlings did suggest that as I take the chair, I should re-enact the closing scene from the Godfather and have all the family swear allegiance to me as they kiss my Ring

Fixed

anglo

LE
That the majority of people in the Crabs {RAF} now, wasn't even born on the
day I got demobbed or even a twinkle in their dads eye.:)

28 years ago during a visit to the distillery I bought a miniature of Dallas Dhu malt whisky and I have always said it was for opening and family tasting at my funeral.
Friends and people I know/knew are disappearing, so this year, being I was 66, my daughter( age 31 and no, no pics) decided that if we opened and consumed it I could never die.

Kids eh ;)

anglo

LE
28 years ago during a visit to the distillery I bought a miniature of Dallas Dhu malt whisky and I have always said it was for opening and family tasting at my funeral.
Friends and people I know/knew are disappearing, so this year, being I was 66, my daughter( age 31 and no, no pics) decided that if we opened and consumed it I could never die.

Kids eh ;)
Good thinking, hope it works out for you

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it, but the mushlings did suggest that as I take the chair, I should re-enact the closing scene from the Godfather and have all the family swear allegiance to me as they kiss my hand.
By candle light, and with the theme music playing softly in the background . . . ;) !!

Club Swinger

War Hero
When you hear someone say, "Gorra go down t' B+M's to get me Nan a prezzy. Coz it's her birthday. She's 30.

When you hear someone say, "Gorra go down t' B+M's to get me Nan a prezzy. Coz it's her birthday. She's 30.
"Mind you, s'a bit hard, innit, coz I've also gorra gerrer one for 'er bein me mother an me sister as well"

Last edited:
When you are reading "When you know you are getting old" threads and remember that your third company CO (then 0-3) has retired as a 4 Star...

nine years ago.

As heard in a scouse kitchen;

"Mummy, why are your hands so soft?"
"Because I'm only 14 darling"

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
As heard in a scouse kitchen;

"Mummy, why are your hands so soft?"
"Because I'm only 14 darling"
I might have seen this here, if so apologies.
What are a pregnant 13-year-old and her foetus both thinking?
'My mum's going to kill me.'

A few years back, the ex and I went to Walt's Holiday Camp in Florida. They have a bar/club area for adults that has turnstiles and staff manning them, I got asked for ID and the ex didn't, she was right put out as she's 6 years younger than me :mrgreen:
I bet that went over well. It is a pain to fish my license out of the wallet. I figure they spouse and offspring induced grey patch in the beard should be enough.

You must live in a nice area.

The f-kers around where I am in the U.S. always bloody card - and I keep forgetting I am not in Europe anymore, so keep forgetting to take my ID with me, so would get turned away at the door.
Many times it depends on the age of the server and what kind of drinks you order. An Old Fashioned or Whisky neat is not a hit with the youngsters.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
When you are reading "When you know you are getting old" threads and remember that your third company CO (then 0-3) has retired as a 4 Star...

nine years ago.
You knew the present Colonels (not the COs) of two cavalry regiments when they were nig louies.

The Colonel in Chief of your regiment was a nig louie after your time. Now he's a respected elder statesman king.

Latest Threads