You know better? You make the cuts!

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by rgjbloke, Oct 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Guardian has published a little online gizmo that lets you decide where you would cut the budget and reduce the deficit. You just click on a department and tell it how much to reduce the budget and you get a bottom line figure showing what you have saved.

I managed to save £76.45bn without too much effort or thought without touching Defence, Education or Health. I daresay ministers have a more intricate and informed method for the cuts they are going to commit to today but it's just a little fun to see what you can save.

Here's the link: Spending review 2010 | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Happy saving!

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  2. Damn DII and its crap flash player problems!

3. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

I've saved £14.78bn already by cutting out that useless green square on the right.

(For those too lazy to check, I've stopped devolved spending on Wales - it rains there constantly for a reason, you know)

4. £64bn without even going anywhere near Defence, Education or Health ...

5. You're too soft! I cut £158.2 billion without touching defence.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I managed to save 185 billion and then had to stop because I was starting to get moist. I was looking for the obvious Guardian exclusions and lo and behold: Apparently, Britain's net contribution to the EU, Commonwealth and other global organisations in their entirety is 180 million per year, not the billions we thought it was, still, even though it's a big fat lie, I zapped it.

I saved £3 billion per annum by getting us the hell out of Afghan too, rightly or wrongly and shut down the payments (7 odd billion) we make to poor countries - after all, we're poor too you know!.

I managed to halve the Treasury budget - after all, it's these cock-ends that keep dropping us in the shit, though try as I might, I couldn't drill down into the House of Commons budget of 450 million to squeeze that!

10% of roads being privatised saves 90 odd billion per annum - great eh?

I'm afraid the lesbians, gays and foreign johnnies didn't fare too well in my budget either.

Still, with my package of reforms, we'll have the deficit cleared in no time, Mrs Brady 'Old Lady' still gets her winter fuel allowance and we'll soon be saving over 30 billion per annum in interest payments which will give us back a bunch of wedge we can then put back into the spending pot.

7. £60 Billion with out touching anything that matters.

Mind you on the defense page the figures for slashing the TA to 9000 (1.5 billion) look a bit dodgie.

8. I only saved over 150Bn but that was because being the guardian, it was slewed whereby one could not cut by 100 percent and in choices the raft of options was limited. eg., percentages of overseas aid.

9. without looking isn't wales on the left?

10. £34bn-ish from a 5% cut from every area except defence and universities, £11.7bn from means-testing DLA, and I'd expect that a epic crackdown on tax evasion could plug the remaining £4bn or so gap.

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

This is what one Guardian reader said:

12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

There have been several articles over the past week in the Times that public spending is actually going to stay fairly close to current levels, it's just going to be shifted around.
    What is being cut are the future levels of increased funding that were going to be spent because that additional money isn't there any more (or never was).

13. 273.5 Billion from me and i didnt touch defence

14. god you're all geniuses.

why aren't you running the country? what with the way you're ticking boxes on the guardian gimmick.

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Go on, have a go, you know you want to. Failing that, here's another way to cut budgets, and I would suggest, far, far more effectively:

Population Reduction Program