You hunters, how does this happen?

Americans and guns... sometimes their familiarity breeds carelessness which you don't see in British shooters who have to jump through hoops to get so much as a rimfire. And let's not forget that target identification has never really been a strong suit of theirs.

To answer the question (wah shield engaged): This sort of thing is far more common in the US (and France as well I suppose) because there are large areas with unrestricted public access for hunting and so any given shooter if there are any other shooters nearby, hence the high-vis. In Britain on the other hand where almost all land is privately owned it is pretty rare for two or more people to be (legally) stalking deer on the same ground at the same time and unheard of for them not to know where each other is. It also goes against just about every rule in the book to even consider shooting if you know somebody else is out there, form says that if you agree to split up you should both unload your weapons until you meet up again.

Shit happens, a German hunter was hit and killed here recently in a strictly organised shoot. He moved forward of where he should have been standing, into another mans arc, just wanted to bring his dog into safety but got hit himself. Shooting in dense woodland and undergrowth is always dangerous, despite the orange clothing, you can't always see what's behind the game. What appears to be a good bullet stop can just be a bit of scrub with a bloke behind it.

Of course, if your hunting mates are all called "Bubba," carry Kalashnikovs and wear tartan socks the disaster is quite inevitable.

I was always taught that if you cannot see where your round will fall if you miss the target, then you don't shoot.

I have deer shooting literally at the bottom of my garden (I live on a shooting estate) and the shoot is set up so that the shooters are firing towards a very large ridge. No chance of Joe Public or me getting shot! I hope!

Alsacien

MIA
Came across this on another forum:
Hunter fatally shot, distraught friend takes own life, Vermont State Police report | The Republic

Two men hunting deer, shoot one, then when one tracks it, the other shoots him dead by accident. He sees what he's done and shoots himself. Is this just a case of not being sure of his target or whats behind it? I know they wear hi-viz yellow bibs in the US because of incidents like this, but nothing like that over here.
Not everyone who owns a gun or goes hunting is particularly bright, especially true in the US....

It's been happening for years, William 2 was killed in a hunting accident.

The most memorable event in the life of William Rufus was his death while hunting in the New Forest: "The death of William Rufus", E. A. Freeman wrote in 1882, "is one of those events in English history which are familiar to every memory and come readily to every mouth". He was killed by an arrow through the lung, but the circumstances remain unclear.

On a bright August day in 1100, William organised a hunting trip in the New Forest. An account by Orderic Vitalis describes the preparations for the hunt with the irony of afterthought: an armourer came in and presented to William six arrows. The King immediately took them with great satisfaction, praising the work, and unconscious of what was to happen, kept four of them himself and held out the other two to Walter Tyrrel ... saying "It is only right that the sharpest be given to the man who knows how to shoot the deadliest shots".

On the subsequent hunt that afternoon, the party spread out as they chased their prey, and William, in the company of Walter Tyrell (or Tirel), Lord of Poix, and many other magnates. An arrow, perhaps grazing a stag, lodged in the breast of the king, who, falling forward drove it through his lung and died on the spot, without, the chroniclers note with grim satisfaction, time to confess his sins.

tbf that may not have been an accident.
the telegraph used to report with glee the toll from the annual start to the italian hunting season.
proles are effectivly banned from hunting in the UK makes it safer but also means little public support for hunting.

Came across this on another forum:
Hunter fatally shot, distraught friend takes own life, Vermont State Police report | The Republic

Two men hunting deer, shoot one, then when one tracks it, the other shoots him dead by accident. He sees what he's done and shoots himself. Is this just a case of not being sure of his target or whats behind it? I know they wear hi-viz yellow bibs in the US because of incidents like this, but nothing like that over here.
brokeback manlove induced murder suicide maybe?

It's been happening for years, William 2 was killed in a hunting accident.
King William Rufus or Red Billy was a Gwarr, then as now there is no closed season for gwarrs!

Any fool knows that red hairy things running about in the woods need to be shot at, it's the law for fucks sake!

I was waiting for the
the shoot is set up so that the shooters are firing towards a very large ridge. No chance of Joe Public or me getting shot! I ho.............................
Down here, Spain, not my height, There were a constant number of deaths each year as hunters who were allowed quite powerful weapons roamed the hills blasting away at movement. I like to do hill-running and if I came across the shoot became very vocal as I ran by them just to indicate position and non-validity of target.
In recent years it has tightened up somewhat both in gun control and local shoots being more organised. Each area has its local 'coto' or official hunt which is set up for boar and needs to control their burgeoning numbers. Last saturday we came across them while looking for wild mushrooms (I'm on good terms with them) and they were actually quite professional and switched on. Sentries on paths to warn passer-bys, radios and 4x4s - a huge change.
What doesn't change is the guy who goes out after grouse and rabbits and whatever he can, including boar if its dumb/unlucky enough to wander into his arcs. Many of these have never had weapon handling stuffed down their necks and I have had shooters with the naughty end of the shotgun (pump-action sold shot is popular here) over their shoulders pointing backwards wander within 20m of me and have the weapon point at me. When I remonstrated they sometimes couldn't see the problem. Officialdom allows people to have weapons without grounding in the basics.
Add to this the anarchistic streak in all mediteraneans and we have potential problems.

Latest Threads