You Have Been Selected ! What Are You Going To Do In Civvy street ?

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Redundancy Scheme 2010' started by Bowmore_Assassin, Jun 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

There are already a number of useful posts/threads regarding actions on ref using the system to help you transition if you have been selected for redundancy.

I thought starting a thread that's a bit more personal might be interesting/useful.

If you have been selected (whether or not you are a volunteer) what are your getting out plans ? What are you looking at doing in civvy street ? How are you going to use your ELCs ? Any top tips etc etc etc.

A starter for ten.:

I volunteered for redundancy and I am very pleased to have been on the list.

I am looking to live in the USA (although the immigration process is a friggin' nightmare). I have networked via mates and old bosses into the senior levels of several companies and now have several irons in fires where I am known and actively being considered for management type positions as they arise. Now I have a firm date to go, a number of companies who have been waiting on that date are inviting me along for a chat (clearly to see if my face might fit).

For part of my resettlement, I am using my some of my ELCs to do a 3 week intro to business type course in the Manchester Business School which runs a couple of courses specifically aimed at SNCOs/WOs and Officers. MBS is well used to the ELCs process (which is not straightforward regarding admin).

Once I join civvy strasse on 12 Dec 12 I aim to get mightly pissed, take Christmas and New Year off and then, hopefully start work. (Plan B is to use some of the redundancy cash and take 3 months out with Mrs and sprogs in a hot place whilst I figure out what to do if Plan A has not worked ! This will eat into the capital dosh, but actually sounds very appealing !)

I am hoping to join a company and start gaining some corporate experience. I aim to do this for about 4 years and then start my own company with a mucka who will have left the Army by then. SO that's the plan. Anyone fancy giving me a job to start me off ? :)

Top tips:

If you are not on, I recommend you join now and start networking. Find people on there you know and hook up with them to start. Ask advice about your linkedin profile...then get it done ASAP.

Whenever you meet someone, always get a another contact/person to go and see. Leverage your mates and ex-bosses who are still in the Army or who have left.

Be disciplined about keeping your network details up to date.

If you have a smartphone, get the app CamCard - it takes a picture of a business card, extracts the info into your address book and keeps an image of the business card on a digital 'rolodex' on your smartphone. Very useful.

Don't pay anyone to write your CV. Write it yourself then give it to someone you know who can write well and get them to red ink it to death. Then give it to someone else etc etc. If you have mates in civdiv in management positions/HR, get them to go over it. Don't wait for CTP or any other resettlement courses, get it done now as it will align your thoughts and force you to consider your strengths/weaknesses and what you have really done throughout your career.

Get personal business cards made - name, email address, contact telephone and fax (if you have it) numbers - and I don't mean military work numbers for you. Do not put your rank on it or your home address. You may wish to add your linkedin profile page url. Top tip - don't be pikey on the cards. Impressions count - pikey card or paper business cards won't help you. Therefore unless you have a gucci home PC set up don't DIY. It's worth getting them made professionally with good laser printing and good quality white card as a minimum standard. I would advise you not to plaster your capbadge on it, or military quotes etc. Plain and simple is all that is required.

Final word from me which you can take or leave as you please; if you have been given the news and you did not volunteer (like a couple of muckas), or even if you did volunteer, then I recommend treating the mov to civvy street like an assigned mission. Success is an absolute requirement for any military mission and this is no different; this is how I have approached the whole thing since putting my name in the hat. One piece of advice I was given by a resettlement expert; never give up and don't get disheartened - this has proven sound, especially when you spend a lot of time applying for jobs and they are too rude to even acknowledge your application leaving you in the dark (which happens a lot).

That's it. It'd be great if this took off and became a helpful place for those made redundant.

Good luck to all.

PS. If the next Richard Branson is out there, I am a top bloke and you should give me a high paying job :)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bowmore_Assassin

Shameless bump.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app
  3. Bowmore_Assassin

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app