• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

You Going on strike then?

Looks like loads of strikes due any time soon, teachers, NHS, Unite........etc, etc. so striking will cost the tax payer millions of pounds, therefore more public sector job cuts....so what are the unions trying to prove?

I am sure Arshie & Whet will be backing the cause up (they ve never had a real job) so if you are going on strike what are you going to gain?

A

armadillo

the teachers are striking over the same pension cuts as us, they have a voice and the means to try and defend it, what have we got. Anyhow its quite funny that a teacher will wave goodbye to one of their pupils, the next year that pupil is Op H1* working harder in a six month tour than they have in their Guardianista career! and getting a better wage and pension, isnt that ironic?

the teachers are striking over the same pension cuts as us, they have a voice and the means to try and defend it, what have we got. Anyhow its quite funny that a teacher will wave goodbye to one of their pupils, the next year that pupil is Op H1* working harder in a six month tour than they have in their Guardianista career! and getting a better wage and pension, isnt that ironic?
Armadilo,
Having your pension cut must suck, but Gordo Broon promised you more than any succeeding govt could really pay out.....surely striking will only reduce the public purse & therefore your pension? isnt it time to man up and try to save the public purse and not go on strike!

I would be more sympathetic to strikers if they didn't have one every few months when they decide they want a new TV. Salaries and pensions grew far too far under Labour, now that they aren't growing at the same rate they strike?

Salaries should be cut in punishment.

The Greek's are still protesting, despite having received an enormous bailout and being in desperate need of another due to having the worst credit rating of any country on Earth. Some people just can't/won't understand that the money has run out.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
If Nurses for once took industrial action we may be left alone for a bit. We never will because the nurses union is spineless. The junior nurses are quite poorly paid and it's very unfair to erode pensions. We all bitch and whine about other public sector workers but many of us at least had a reasonable pension to look forward to in retirement. To some degree I envy tube drivers, they seem to get whatever they ask for.

The Greek's are still protesting, despite having received an enormous bailout and being in desperate need of another due to having the worst credit rating of any country on Earth. Some people just can't/won't understand that the money has run out.
Perhaps the bankers or the bosses who've had 18% rises? It hasn't run out for them, even the ones in the banks we own.

Yeah, Its all Labours fault for setting the terms and conditions of a pension that has been in place since the fifties. Maybe some of you foaming at the mouth cut happy Tory lovers don't understand, but to cut the pension without so much as a by your leave of a job where you have accepted a poorer basic wage with the promise of a better pension is going to rile the people that do that job. Its not the Teachers fault that the money ran out, any more than it is the fault of the Individual Soldier, Policeman, Nurse, Civil Servant or Social Worker.

I'm not going to get into the same hoary old discussion about why there is no money, I have my views and the Tories have theirs. There are many better ways of recouping this money than automatically hitting the people just trying to earn a wage and pension. Like actually collecting Tax correctly for one, and giving the Proceeds of Crime act some teeth for another.....

No but you can ask the same question in two posts and see if you get the same stupid answers :D

Unite fail to realise how much damage they are doing to their members, it about time they realised that their powers a weak now :)

I think it's disgusting that many hard working people are getting penalised because they want to thro the teddies from the pram.

There are many better ways of recouping this money than automatically hitting the people just trying to earn a wage and pension. Like actually collecting Tax correctly for one, and giving the Proceeds of Crime act some teeth for another.....
Labour had 15 years to get this right, didn't, and now wheel it out as a solution. Why didn't they think of it while in power?

I'm not going to get into the same hoary old discussion about why there is no money, I have my views and the Tories have theirs. There are many better ways of recouping this money than automatically hitting the people just trying to earn a wage and pension. Like actually collecting Tax correctly for one, and giving the Proceeds of Crime act some teeth for another.....
It was bloody obvious that we where heading downhill once benefit payments exceeded income tax payments.

Labour had 15 years to get this right, didn't, and now wheel it out as a solution. Why didn't they think of it while in power?
'Cos Labour lives to 'Tax and SPEND'

Spendings easy. It makes you feel good, and gets you votes.
The grim business of collecting the cash gets overlooked. And tax rises cost you votes.
Gordon was almost unique in the amount of hyper complexity and expense he added to the system, and which made it worse.
I mean-Tax credits? Come on. In Gordon's world it's easier to tax people, then (if they ask for it) they can fill out a variety of application forms to get some money back.

In everyone else's world, the easiest way to put money back in peoples pockets is -Tax them less.
Tories know much more about tax. They spend a lot of time and effort avoiding it.

I think what the tories are doing to public sector pensions is an absolute disgrace.

I only married her because she was a teacher - the plan being to live off my wages whilst working and hers whilst retired.

I might now be stuck with her for no bloody good reason.

I think what the tories are doing to public sector pensions is an absolute disgrace.

I only married her because she was a teacher - the plan being to live off my wages whilst working and hers whilst retired.

I might now be stuck with her for no bloody good reason.
As a Teacher, she should asked the Economics dept if Broons "bottomless Money Pit" was sustainable or done the sums herself!!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I seem to remember that the social services department went on strike several years ago. Statistically, there were less problems with dysfunctional families while they were on strike than when they were working.

I very much hope the government reviews the performance of all the departments these strikers come from and mark down for a cull any departments that have less problems when unmanned.

Wordsmith

I'm NHS, I've never been on strike and I never WILL strike.
Pleased to see there is at least one reasonable person in the NHS!

No sympathy for public sector whinging, some of them want to try living out in the private sector.
No pay rises for the last 5 years, no pension, no sick pay (other that statutory) and pay substantially less than the public sector equivelent.
Have to work pretty hard for a pittance with no prospect of anything changing in the forseeable future.

Everyone is feeling the financial pinch over the last couple of years, why should the public sector be immune from it?

Perhaps the bankers or the bosses who've had 18% rises? It hasn't run out for them, even the ones in the banks we own.
Give it a rest. The reason they get pay rises is because they demand them and can't be replaced for less money. They've done exactly what the unions are trying to do, but are apparently hated because they've succeeded. They've succeeded because they have a logical case to put forward, and some genuine leverage that isn't based on emotion or bone legislation - i.e. "pay us in line with the private sector, or we'll leave".

If we tried to slash their money or terms, they'd go and work for someone else. In other words, they are (in the truest sense of the word) 'worth' what they're paid.

Give it a rest. The reason they get pay rises is because they demand them and can't be replaced for less money. They've done exactly what the unions are trying to do, but are apparently hated because they've succeeded. They've succeeded because they have a logical case to put forward, and some genuine leverage that isn't based on emotion or bone legislation - i.e. "pay us in line with the private sector, or we'll leave".

If we tried to slash their money or terms, they'd go and work for someone else. In other words, they are (in the truest sense of the word) 'worth' what they're paid.
Far be it from me - in my sprogliness - to go pontificating, but I'd question the idea that anyone who can sit atop a vast pyramid of people, encouraging hideously irresponsible business practices and mismanaging the company so adroitly that it has to be bailed out by the state or bought by the Chinese (for example/s) is "worth" anything more than a boot up the arrse. Then again, I'm probably some sort of Communist.

And before anyone shouts: yes I think banking industry lending over the last 10 years has been grossly irresponsible, and based upon a ludicrously short-termist agenda which suits those at the top (who can vanish with a huge golden handshake) very well, but doesn't really serve the interests of either the larger company or the nation. Nonetheless, all the banking sector did was offer people dangerous loans that their incomes couldn't match, a chance to chase butterflies; it took the rest of us to grab the net and give chase.

Oh, and I'm a civil servant. I'm also not a member of the Union. I am going on strike though. In August. For a week. Booked it with the boss and everything. He seems to think it's a holiday, but I'll show 'im...

Latest Threads