You don't see one of these every day; Enfield No.1 Mk. V

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just browsing on Egun, when I found this......

3433884_2.jpg

eGun

It's a lot of money, but I think they're pretty scarce. I wish I had £1200 going spare....

T_T

2. You don't do you.

I saw that EFD have had them in the past but they don't seem to have any at the moment.

I kind of like the look of them...but at £1,200 I'll just have to be content with just that.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

'cuse my Enfield ignorance, but what is special about this one?

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

At the risk of being mown down by the experts, I believe these were trials rifles in the 1920s and were never issued in quantity, so they're quite scarce. I saw one in Fulton's a while back for £1500

5. i may be mistaken but isnt that a Mk1 smle, yes they are reasonably rare but a lot of monies for what it is.

not many around still with single round loader cut away plate in.

6. Look at the sights.

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Not wishing to sound like a twat, but I do actually see one of these everyday. There is one in my armoury. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes, you are mistaken..

That is not a No 1 Mk 1 SMLE, it is a No 1 Mk V SMLE..

This was the immediate predecessor to the rifle No4, and was produced in limited numbers between the wars.. ( although I think Ishapore kept turning them out..?)

The givaway is the aperture sight above the bolt. Previous marks of the No 1 rifle had a V sight on the forend.

The No 4 had a floating barrel which improved accuracy and was easier to manufacture..

9. I've got three.....

About 20,000 produced, in two large and several small batches. One type built from new, another as a conversion kit fitted to a standard No1 receiver. The kit was developed as it was considered that a programme might be developed to convert all of the Army's standard No1 MkIII/*s.

Mystery surrounds the fate of these rifles after the troop trials were finished. They disappear completely from UK use (they were never actually accepted for service, as they were a trials weapon) and don't even make an appearance post-Dunkirk, when the stores were trawled for usable rifles. The majority of rifles currently around appeared in the US surplus market in the 60s and 70s, but it is not known where they came from. Rumours persist that many MkVs ended up in the Far East. Its logical that as the rifles were a non-standard pattern with no spares backup (ie for the special sights and top handguards), they were stored throughout WW2 and finally given away to some country or other.

This is one of the most intriguing "Enfield" photos that has ever come to light:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Interesting photo indeed! Is that a Long Lee in the background too?

Where was the photo taken?

11. Looks like a version of one of these to me TT?...I'd say Vietnam.

Modern Firearms - Arisaka 38 and 99

12. Apologies for hijacking the thread chaps. Is egun any good? I'm flogging my MK II Bren deac and it's at a very good price.

Shame I can't advertise it on here. But rules are rules...

13. Nice find for this fella.....

Unissued No1 MkV SMLE

14. I'll give you a tenner for it, knappy old thing like that, gathering dust and messing up the racks. :)

• Like Like x 1