You can give driving theory test exam having special needs

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by twosugarsnomilk, Apr 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What about those that cannot spell? :)
  2. what about the RMP?????
  3. Wouldn't being unable to read English be a bit of a hinderance when it comes to reading road signs?

Ok you can probably memorise them if you only speak Hindi or something but can a real dsylexic memorise words like that?

Still I suppose the idea of getting the test read out loud to you will be of most help to blind drivers of which there seem to be thousands on the road.
  4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The only problem with all these translation services is that it encourages people not to learn English and therefore remain isolated from mainstream society. The intention may be kind but effect is vicious and cruel and serves neither the indigenous population or the incomers.

Not only do we bear the financial cost of all this translation society also bears the cost in term of lack of social cohesion and individuals in terms of isolation and restriction of their ability to become part of the whole. The original poster (presumably on behalf of his/her employer) appears to be proud of this when in reality it is something they should be thoroughly ashamed of.

Better facilities for those with hearing problems or indeed other disabilities are to be welcomed. There should be no artificial barriers to them obtaining driving/riding licenses provided that it is safe for them do do so.
  5. While we are here could one of the Mods please sort out the title - looks like it was written by someone who has special needs all of their own.
  6. BuggerAll

As long as the next poster quotes this its sorted.
  7. BuggerAll

8. Are the blind not classed as special needs? Discrimination!!!!
  9. Or just do like some around the country and get someone else to take it for you in your absence,no need for translation. 8O
  10. I suppose the idea is to make people more comfortable doing the test. I used to work for immigration and I used to come across plenty of people whose general command of English was good enough for everyday use but might fall foul of situations like a driving test. One of the reasons that any foreign doctor wishing to work here has to pass the PLAB test first to show that their command of the language is to a sufficient standard.

In any case, using what I have cut and pasted from a carphonewarehouse site, methinks some of our "native" people may need the theory test done in "txt spk". This mong is slagging off a phone that I am planning to buy, and you can see why as the moron probably can't understand the manual, being written in English and all.....

me from Manchester , 08 April 2010

Ease of use
    Battery life
    wen i 1st got it i fought it was 2 good 2 B true considering the price.
    -it looked gr8 n groovey
    -the touch skreen iz really cool.
    -it comes wif sum good backgrounds n ringtones.
    however i soon got 2 know the fone and realised id wasted my money.
    -wen txting u often press the ok buttun
    -it hasnt got as near adds as u think
    -the game i got was simon says!
    -confusin 2 use
    this fone is very basic but good if that wat u want. personly i wud say dont get it!

Made my farking eyes bleed.
  11. No Scottish Gaelic!
  12. BuggerAll

The OP appears to have a special need of his/her own.

I am ever hopeful that post 6 May we will see the back of this sort of waste of public money that also seems deliberately calculated to encourage people not to learn to speak English and thus integrate into society. Whoever is responsible should hang their heads in shame.