You can´t land there, Air Ambulance told!!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chocolate_frog, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An Air Ambulance was told to move as it landed to give aid to a fallen horserider.

Landing on a Billionaires property, some jumped up muppet security guard told it to move. That is in its self a pretty bad state of affairs, but check out the "excuses" given for why it was told to move on.

Emergency response crews, including helicopters are permitted to cause damage in order to get to a casualty, and given the fact helis have landed n the estate before... leads to the top security bloke coming up with the following drivel.

My sister fell of her horse once, I am glad she wasn´t near where this numpty is in charge of security, as the Air Ambulance landed, in what I consider to be quite a risky area!!!

The farmer, who didn´t know her from eve, couldn´t have been more helpful to either the horse riders or the ambulance crew, he conveyed the paramedics and their kit, on the back of a tractor. And stabled her horse.

Had she fallen near this esate, in that instance my sister could have died.

She wanted to be a RMP horse rider, (they allowed women at that time) but couldn´t join up due to having a metal pin inserted in to her femur amongst other injuries.

I´d imagine such frivoulous excuses would be not raised by "head of security" had it been a member of the family or one of the security guards requiring hte air ambulance....

And given the inability of the security team to react to unannounced activity......

2. Should have took Bossyboots approach and told them where to go.

3. Can we have a link to the original article , please

4. The heli may of landed on someone...BECAUSE PEOPLE CANT FEEL THE DOWN DRAFT.....AND PILOTS HAVE A HABBIT OF LANDING ON PEOPLE FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES.

5. My reply to the security mong would have gone something like this: 'Or you'll do precisely what? Now fcuk off, there's a good chap!' Does this not constitute the impediment of the emergency services in carrying out their duties? That's a bit naughty I seem to recall.

6. If you can't see a bloody great big helicopter coming at you, then its not earphones you need but glasses!!
    If the pilot did manage to land on someone then he needs even stronger glasses!

Perhaps the space was reserved for a consultant :lol:

7. Are you sure about the fact that emergency crews can cause damage? I understand that the Fire brigade are allowed to as are the police, but I understood that the ambulance have to have entry forced by either the Police or Fire brigades first? That wouldn't be much use for the Air Abmulance, however during a rescue I was part of, we had to wait for the Firemen.

8. Linky

Daily Maiil

The sheik is 2ic of the UAE, so I can imagine security is high, however.

Girl on the ground. Needs help. Fence in way.

Sorry mr Fence, you´re out of here.

Tell the security cheif to get his arrse down to the breach and stag on.

LL the air ambulance was carrying bolt cutters.. so I imagine they can use them.

9. Thanks, seems like Britiain needs some rules like Australia. It is an offence here to interfere with emergency service personnel (Fire, Police, Ambulance ,Life Savers and State Emergency Service)

10. With significant experience of landing oily hairy aircraft where they haven't necessarily been wanted - I know some of the rules and techniques.

But it's a Daily Hate piece so I don't trust a syllable of their reporting and will leave some of the comment to be as ill informed and speculative as the article...

11. You can understand the security guard's concern, he probably thought that the pilot was ex-blue job!

P-T

12. Anyone know the ins and outs of the training for heli pilots in such roles?

At a rough guess, i´d imagine they would be expert flyers, with a fair bit of training and hours flown.

I´d imagine them to know the dangers of touching down in an area, unprepared for them, and with people in the area that are unfamilier with the dangers of helis.

The Heli shown in the article is a NOTAR type. the tail rotor is removed, to enhance safety.

I´d imagine it is SOP for the whole crew to be on the look out for pedestrians.

The heli pad in the Giliad hospital, Bielefeld, is on the front lawn. There is a mere 20m between two public roads and footpaths and the landing spot.

You can walk across the landing spot if the heli isn´t there.

Likewise, I have seen a German heli tucked up against the trees on a autobahn slip way.

Was it in UK somewhere that a police heli rescued someone in the Sea? The Observer got out on to the skids, and held on to the unconcious swimmer, whilst the pilot flew to shore at about 5 meters?

Then you get Mr Jobsworth... "you can´t land here, I know it will add 20minutes to your response to a casualty, and I know that as the responder has decided that this is the best place to land, but well my boss says NO"´, he doesnt´t want the hassle of guarding a hole in the fence".

What would have happened in the event of the casualty dieing? I am not normally big on apportioning blame but.... Security Guard and Chief charged with manslaughter?

13. It is things like this that will keep the security industry in the UK being viewed as the job of last resort for people who are too stupid the be a street sweeper. i know that is unfair on the vast majority of people in the industry, but there are people in security who need to engage brain and think occasionally.

14. It is on PPRuNe too.

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/357584-unauthorised-air-ambulance-landing.html

Although people seem to be going off on tangents on both te mail and PPRuNe regards the Sheiks money, and nationality.

Not interested. He wasn´t even there.

I am interested in the Cheif of Security and the Security Guard t hough. And the legallity of telling an Ambulance (air or not) to move.

Like I say above, if there is a casualty on the ground, they need attention. That would go for a Air Ambulance landing in the Queens back garden or in to Downing Street.

The Security guards can adapt to the new scenario as it presents itself, not rule it and overrule the medical professionals.

15. I thought this little tidbit summed the Chiefy up rather well:

No doubt said in a shocked and aggrieved tone. Because, of course, the correct course of action on behalf of the ambulance crew would have been to piss away the Golden Hour while they argued the toss with another, more senior jobsworth rather than getting to the casualty in the shortest time possible.