You Bunch are Thick

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Letterwritingman, Aug 19, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One lad said on Sky News tonight that he thought A levels weren't getting any easier because he had had to revise a lot (or words to that effect) and that he had had to work hard for his FIVE Grade A's and ONE B...................which begs the questions "Were we Truly thicker 20 yrs ago when even taking 3 A levels was impressive, have teachers so improved that they are a different league to their predecessors or is it all a crock of slip sliding shite where these results count for very little indeed"?
  2. I believe there is a lot of coaching going on these days within schools.

Performance figures? or kids too lazy or not trusted to properly research and learn things for themselves??

Probably a lot of "multichoice mark with an X type exams" for electronic readers something we never had as kids.
  3. I was lucky to get 3 A levels a B and two Cs. Then again I dropped out and look where I am now!
  4. I was lucky to get 3 A levels a B and two Cs. Then again I dropped out and look where I am now!
  5. Just flick through any essay a top stream student writes and your doubts will be removed.
    My girl got two A's and a B and she's as switched on as they come.
    Her mate was hoping to go to Oxford having got 11 A stars at GCSE but only achieved A,B,C at A level despite working hard.
    Another really bright mate of hers who speaks four languages (self taught) only got D,D,E.
    Anyone who gets an A grade at A level nowadays has had to put some work in.
    Teaching being crap was the norm when I went to school,Now I reckon it's the exception.
  6. Of course the bloody exams have got easier.

How can you reconcile chronic teacher shortages, enlarged class sizes , employers complaining that the levels of Numeracy and Literacy have dropped, Universities complaining about the standards of new students and then announce "It's yet another bumper year for exam results, look how much cleverer our young people have got under Labour"

Maybe I'm just old, but when I first applied for a *Cough* Aircrew Commission back in 19*Cough*, the requirement was 5 O-Levels , Grade C and above , A-Levels or a Degree, so much the better"

Now it's a degree , full stop.

Oh yes, our kids really are getting brighter.
  7. The falsehood is compounded by Parents who enjoy telling everyone how many A's their offspring attained.............not having a go Sid but; who would not be proud to say RugRat got 3 straight A's and 2 B's.........only we know they mean next to nothing really......
  8. I believe it may be in the style of exam also. If you look in the marking scheme it seems that subjects such as Eng lit and the such aren't marked on what you know about the content you're meant to have studied and rather your ability to spout out buzz words and proper essay formats.
  9. From the Telegraph this evening

Why go on argueing about it..........standards have slipped
  10. Standards have slipped. Exams were much harder when we were all younger. Our generation is much clever than the present A-Level students - far more intelligent and able to apply ourselves much better.

What's more - all those logarithms, working out without calculators, all those physics formulae, all that Shakespeare we read and appreciated (because we had so many more original points to make about it than today's kids do), and all that complex French grammar we learnt has been hugely useful since and we couldn't get through a day without it.

So we're still cleverer than our kids, we still know better than them about everything, and there's absolutely no reason to feel insecure about our academic abilities.
  11. Ah 'Old Chap'....... now then where did all this sarcasm come from? Thats not like you 8O Of course we all use algebra, logarithms and qoute Shakespeare all day..............Now then answer honestly do you truly feel that you could have done 5 A levels of the standard required 20 years ago?.....None of this module course work shite...either you had studied it and you knew the two years of it or you didn't..........and then to study for 5 A do then feck me...what do they put in the sea up your way 'cos I could do with eating some of your fish to improve my intellect ?:wink:
  12. Having not seen a A-Level paper from 20 years ago, I wouldn't be able to answer your question with as much honesty you ask of me.

My point is that standards have moved sideways, not down. What one is required to know in order to perform well in modern exams is now more reflective of what one needs to know to be successful in daily life. This is born of a wrong-headed assumption by educationalists that kids can't be interested in things that have no relevance to their life.

Education should be about teaching kids how to think about things, not what to think about things (or rather what Government thinks they should be thinking). Added to this should be the important lesson that sometimes in life, you have to do things you don't want to do and think are pointless.
  13. I am not underestimating the work todays students put in, but has the diversity of suberct content gone down ? (ie. jack of all, master of none)When I did 'O' levels you could only do a maximum of 9, and that was with taking 2 early if you were a really bright spark.

Anyone getting A's then was deemed as some sort of genius, let alone A stars, and let alone getting A stars in 11 !!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. And besides, LWM, the content of my post was not sarcastic, merely ironic.

My modular English Literature for Clampitts A-Level taught me that important difference. :wink: