Yosemite

Hi all,

I'm off to LA for a short trip to visit some friends, and we were looking at getting the hell out of the city [I can't stand the place] for four days and driving up to Yosemite, as none of us have been there before.

I'd like to see the Giant Sequoia/the half-dome[or Glacier point & El Capitan]/waterfalls; that kind of sh*t.

I'll have a car - possibly a camper van, but more likely to be staying in hotels/hostels. Has anyone got any suggestions of places to stay with access to the big sights? Any little-known gems out there?

Cheers.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have a leaky sponge rather than a memory but I think (think, mind) that @Whiskybreath is your man for Yosemite.

Just watch out for this guy:

What dates?

...and this chap. He eats campers.
article-1306881-0AF105AD000005DC-383_468x377.jpg

@Bris :There's plenty of space for campers and campervans inside the park, but we toured around last year in a car, and stayed in little hotels/motels/b&b places in the towns just outside the park. You can stay at the Majestic hotel in the 'Yosemite Village' but that'll cost you. It's only about 60 miles between Lee Vining on the East and Mariposa on the West, with a fair number of lodging places in every small town (some excellent 'old American' villes, like Coulterville) , so unless you have plans to do lengthy (more than a day or so) walks, it's fairly quick and easy to drive in from outside. My regret is not camping for a few days and walking (not really; I can only carry so many beercans these days). Traffic and tourist density when we were there was reasonable, and there's plenty of space to be on your own. Fabulous place.
(@SOCALSapper is definitely in the know about these places over there.)

Last edited:
Did the tour of Yosemite in 1979 and did the usual; walks/hikes. Beautiful place and well worth a look. It might be more crowded with people these days, but SOCAL Sapper could maybe advise on that point. I went out the east entrance of the park and turned north on US 395 at Lee Vining to go to Carson City. Pretty road and very scenic.

It is normally very crowded - but schools just went back this week... The crowds drop considerably, until the snow comes and all the snow bunnies clog Mammoth up and the roads close. The weekends will be very busy regardless, and unless we get some surprise rain a little dry by now.

Convict lake is a hidden gem, and if it's hot Tuolumne meadows is beautiful and as its higher up doesn't get quite the heat.

Haven't got to hike half dome, but the views are pretty spectacular. If you end up camping and want a nice place to chill out and clean up on the way back to L.A - the juniper springs in mammoth lakes is amazing and cheap until the snow hits.

Mariposa is a nice little town to stay in. Some nice little guest houses & a quirky pub called the hideaway, barmaid is an ex American wrestler. There's a cracking walk at a place called saddlebag lake, very picturesque.

@SOCALSapper (and all the rest)

Thank you.

I'm looking at going next weekend for a few days; accommodation is very limited, but might stay just outside he park and drive in daily (about 1 hour) to Yosemote Village; most of the big sights appear to be around here (the well-known ones, anyway).

By coincidence I am flying out that way next week and will be there weekend of 10th, we're skipping the main tourist parts of the park and heading a bit further north. Our plan is to take walking gear and then do some day walking on the Pacific Crest Trail in a couple of locations as apparently the ridge line walks are at 10-11000ft, but with not that much climbing involved.

There are some great sources of advice out there, but if you don't mind a bit of a drive its worth pushing up and going there. Similarly, we're also doing Mammoth Lakes, and hope to get some of the John Muir wilderness in too.

Locations wise, we're staying in Sutter Creek which has a few B&B type places and small town hotels and Mammoth Lakes resort (then on to Vegas for a real culture shift!). My impression of Sutter Creek is it has good hotels, good food and cold beer, and is about an hour from the Park. This works on several levels for me :)

@SOCALSapper (and all the rest)

Thank you.

I'm looking at going next weekend for a few days; accommodation is very limited, but might stay just outside he park and drive in daily (about 1 hour) to Yosemote Village; most of the big sights appear to be around here (the well-known ones, anyway).
No problem - by the way - might want to avoid these areas.

Temporary closures in Yosemite

By coincidence I am flying out that way next week and will be there weekend of 10th, we're skipping the main tourist parts of the park and heading a bit further north. Our plan is to take walking gear and then do some day walking on the Pacific Crest Trail in a couple of locations as apparently the ridge line walks are at 10-11000ft, but with not that much climbing involved.

There are some great sources of advice out there, but if you don't mind a bit of a drive its worth pushing up and going there. Similarly, we're also doing Mammoth Lakes, and hope to get some of the John Muir wilderness in too.

Locations wise, we're staying in Sutter Creek which has a few B&B type places and small town hotels and Mammoth Lakes resort (then on to Vegas for a real culture shift!). My impression of Sutter Creek is it has good hotels, good food and cold beer, and is about an hour from the Park. This works on several levels for me :)
My buddy walked 150 miles of the PCT two years ago...definitely one for the bucket list.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Penguin142 Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa 15