Yorkshire Volunteers.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by maninblack, Jun 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I wonder, whether with the formation of The Yorkshire Regiment this capbadge will reappear?

Was anyone here ever in The Yorkshire Volunteers?

2. I was never a Volunteer, And I really hope to fuck that My Old Bn don't end up with that nasty brigade badge on there head dress. The correct Flower for the Ridings of yorkshire would be the "White Lille" Not some gay rose like Them tw@ts over the otherside of the pennines have. Keep the white horse and sod the rest! :)

3. Better to be a tw@t then are B'stard from wrong side of t'hill.
    john
    Owdum !

4. Proud to have been a 1 Yorks man.

The news on the new cap badge is that the steering committee don't want the old brigade cap badge as it is not martial enough, so they intend to have a much embellished Rose. Likewise the red and white of the volunteer regiment will not be used.

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Same here, Mushroom.....1 Yorks 82-83.

6. Mor Pln 1YV 1975-1981.

I seem to remember from a visit to the Green Howards Museum at Richmond that the Yorkshire Regiment cap badge was the same as the Yorks Vols cap badge except that it had the King's Crown on top. One of our older blokes took the curator to task for putting the wrong badge on a mannequin.

7. As Cpl Ripper pointed out it was the old Yorkshire Brigade badge, Mercian volunteers did the same using the old (awful) Brigade badge. Did the Royal Anglian, RRF etc keep their Bde badge?

8. The RGJ copied the Green Jacket Brigade badge which took elements from all the former regiments but the badge has a close resemblance to the old Rifle Brigade cap badge.

The Bugle from the Ox & Bucks LI is in the centre

The Maltese Cross was common to the KRRC & RB

The Laurel Wreath was from the RB

The Motto is the english version of the KRRC latin motto

The Naval Crown and title Copenhagen 1801 was for the first action by the RB

the title Peninsular is common to all regular regiments, but the battle honours represented on the Maltese Cross cover the history of the regiment, both regular and TA

9. My int would suggest that the Yorks Regt cap badge will involse a Yorks Rose but also include elements of the DWR cap badge.

I wait with baited breath for the final outcome!

10. i was 1 and then 4 yorks when formed was proud to have been in both,why dont they just leave our cap badge alone,i know its not trendy or chic but it is ours and at this rate our identity will go the same way as our batalions DOWN THE LATRINE.
    sheffielder