Yorkshire - the UKs poor cousin

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by polar, Jul 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read this on another thread

Times saying Scotland should get 9% of the BBC cash, so then should Yorkshire. All we get is several programmes on about Vets (excluding Last of the Summer Wine) such as The Chase or All Creatures Great and small. I'm sure I didn't see any episode with a ferret in it :D

Then look at childrens TV we either have programmes about Scotland or the standard Anglo-Saxon/Southern poofters crap. The closest you get to a Northern programme is Lazy Town.

Governments also full of Scottish or Southerners.

I recommend reunification with Denmark. :twisted: :twisted:

2. Hey, I liked All Creatures Great & Small! Episodes of it and Benny Hill on our Public Television were my first exposure to Britain as a kid back in the 70's.

Heh... boy did I have a twisted image of your society... ;)

3. Rotherham
    Doncaster
    Pontefract
    Mexborough
    Wath On Dearne
    Sheffield
    Barnsley
    Hull

Denmark would refund the Danegeld rather than have that shyte back as their responsibility.

4. I still do. I still think 'Shameless'/Coronation Street is true to life, although I've only set foot in Manchester twice (for university interview).

I was brought up on a whole raft of Northern TV/film ('Brassed Off', 'Rita, Sue and Bob too', 'All creatures Great and Small', 'East is East', 'Full Monty' etc). I still stereotype people from those areas.

My first exposure to Yorkshire'ness was being driven in a 4 Ton to the pub, each one was singing the anthem 'Ilkley Moor bah tat'. Which helped as when I joined the sgts mess, it was compulsory to sing it. Really loved the way our 'TA Regt' interfaced with the local government, Lord Mayor at functions, free beers in Town Hall after freedom parade. Far better than being told you shouldn't fight at a rememberence parade in SE Derbys.

p.s. the barstewards still won't let me claim to be a Yorkshireman

5. Thought about that, we could reform the Danelaw. I know that includes the Black Pudding lot but we could demand the return of satellite areas such as Dublin, Edinburugh (the Scottish & Irish government can stay there on payment of Danegeld), probably much of the Scots Oilfields. After all it wasn't the English/Scots to dish out.

p.s. you missed out Bradford (hmm .... Pakistan - Danegeld ..... is it a winner)

6. Leave Yorkshire alone!

Sven lives there. Don't you think they've suffered enough?

7. LOL! Hey, I enjoyed Yorkshire during my excursions there... folks were pretty friendly... especially this one lovel gal who... um... nevermind.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Do you now?

Yorkshire exists to provide Gods Chosen People with a buffer zone. Should we ever decide to kick off with the Scots once more. Which we may well do.

We require your fat Swaledale sheep, pints of Theakstons Old Peculier and thats about it. When we require them, we'll let you know.

Until then, give thanks that we are protecting you from the Scots and be polite when you hear a Geordie accent in the bar.

Thanks.

9. Yorkshire? I'll give you a tenner for it.

10. TheIronDuke

Rampant inflation. I blame Thatcher. She came from Grantham which is in Yorkshire.

11. And make sure you know where your wallet/mobile/car keys are.

12. thief, your talking about the anglo/saxons kicked out of Gods country, that is Northumbria. See the clue is in the title - North of Humber. You can keep them, your brummies and your celtic mates (scotland, cumbria (westmoreland is ours), wales and cornwell).

Even the Scots admit to speaking Inglish before we did

13. TheIronDuke

Well, yes, there is a small fee for our protection. We are not Communists after all.

But its your choice. A reasonable fee, or we let the SCOTS through.

14. No, you nosher, Grantham is yellowbelly country not Yorkshire.

15. With a handle like yours Iron Duke, one would think you were a Yorkshireman.

Speaking as a Yorkshireman living amongst the unwashed of Tyneside I hear Geordie accents all the time. Nice folk but they tend to live up to old joke that a Geordie is just a jock with a sense of generosity.