Yorkshire Regt website

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by mushroom, Jan 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The MOD has instigated a website for the Yorkshire Regiment.

http://www.army.mod.uk/yorkshire_regiment/sport.htm

Note we do do have an identity but a 'brand'.

How much each year does the Government waste on consultants? A totally unconnected question you understand.

2. What's this about "a stand of honourary colours"? Don't tell me they're phasing out the colours now, FFS!

3. Nay lad.

The Dukes have always carried 4 Colours, The usual 2 Regimental and Queens, plus 2 Honourary Colours issued originally by the Honourable East India Coy in the 18th c

[​IMG]

4. B1. Fascinating stuff! I didn't know the "Dukes" carried four colours. Who carries the HEIC colours? Must be a huge colour party when they're all on parade.

The RHF, if memory serves, carry three colours, the third being the 'Assaye' colour awarded to the HLI for service in India (apologies to the RHF if this is incorrect).

Any other regiments parade more than the Queen's and Regimental Colours?

5. Can't name any, but do some regiments parade with captured Napoleonic Eagles on some occasions?

I'm not certain, so no-one have a go if i'm wrong, but i have it in the back of my mind that the drum-major of a certain regiment carries something that is foreign on regimental parades. Its definitely a captured Napoleonic French object.

Any answers to this question would be appreciated..........

6. I think a couple more ozzifors.

From a Regtl site

7. The 74th Highland Regiment (now RHF) were awarded what is known as the Assaye Colour along with the 78th Highland Regiment (now HLDRS) following the battles of Seringapatam and Assaye. Additionally the 19th Light Dragoons (now LD) were at the battle.

The RHF tradition is to carry 3 colours on parade - the Assaye Colour in the middle. On the Assaye Day Parade the Queen's Colour and Regimental Colour come on Parade with a third ensign: the Assaye Colour is then brought onto Parade by the Quartermaster (at the Battle of Assaye (23 Sep 1803) Quartermaster Grant was the only officer not wounded or killed and led the battalion from the field). He hands the Assaye Colour to the ensign and then leaves the parade, his duty complete.

I think (but don't know) that the HLDRS have the third colour, but do not parade it. The LD have an elephant on their uniform to denote their association, and one of the sqns is known as Assaye Squadron.

[and sleep]

8. Have you suffered the advertising campaign yet, its on the radio all the time. All the recruiting trailers have been rebranded.

9. I am much relieved, and will now stand down from my position of righteous indignation. I am astonished that I didn't know this about the Dukes, so thanks for adding to my fund of things that nobody but ARRSErs want to know about!

10. Does anyone have access to any pictures of the badges / insignia?

I command an ACF Detachment that will be rebadging to YORKS in June and my cadets are obviously interested to see good quality pictures of what they're going to be wearing.

Also, I'm after any artwork that would be of use for letterheads & posters, etc.

Any help would be most gratefully accepted.

11. Aye I've seen all those old chap, but I'm after good quality pictures and artwork (if indeed they exist yet)

12. Shurley shome mishtake? Methinks the Yorkshire Regiment instigated the site - not the MOD... (See Page Properties on left hand side)

13. The new badge has been drawn and is currently being digitised - look out for the new Army Design Manual which will be deployed on the website in the near future.

14. I can confirm that the Kings Own Border Regiment parade captured french drums on most ceremonial occasions.