Yorkshire Immigration?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by polar, Jul 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How does one become a Yorkshireman??

Can one achieve this by marriage (mrs Polar is from Leeds), or service in the Yorkshire army (inc 3 PWO and 8(Y)LI).

Will my daughters be classed as half castes or do they inherit citzenship through their mum?

I'm making every effort to fit in, I even support the national team (Leeds United) and picking up the lingo like...... I also know the words to Ilkley Moor without hat

I just find bloomin annoying that my Scottish Sister In Law can claim dual citzenship just because her mum was from West Riding, its not fair

p.s. I'm not the only one, I'm setting up a campaign group in my Sqn. Us Derbyshire people demand equal rights

2. Sorry, you have to be born there (within the boundaries of the Ridings). Mrs Puttees was in the doghouse TWICE! for failing to give adequate notice of an impending birth. Miss Puttees is trying to become an honorary Tyke by supporting the Boro, but there's no escaping the rules.

3. I'm a half-caste Yorksireman. My mother is a big nancy southener, and thanks to her I am too. I've only been to Yorkshire twice in the last 18 years. I don't intend to go back, for fear of being spat on.

4. Polar (and no help from others, please): What is the first line of Ilkley Moor?

5. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere as ta bin

Oh sorry, wrong polar

6. (Wrong words as well)

7. ?

Where as ta bin since I saw thee
    I saw thee
    On Ilkley moor by 'tat
    I saw thee

On ilkley moor
    By tat
    On ilkley moor
    By tat
    On ilkley moor
    By tat

( Without thy trousers on )

Admittedly the dialect is a tad of but one is from the lowlands of East Yorkshire tha knows

8. Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee,
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
    Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
    Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
    Tha's been a cooartin' Mary Jane
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    Tha's bahn t'catch thi deeath o'cowd
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    Then we shall ha' to bury thee
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at vThen we shall ha' to bury thee
    Then we shall ha' to bury thee
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    Then t'worms 'll cum and eat thee oop
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    Then ducks 'll cum and eat oop t'worms
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    Then we shall go an' ate oop ducks
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    Then we shall all 'ave etten thee
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at

[The last verse was added some time later to the original.]

That's wheer we get us oahn back
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
    On Ilkla Moor baht 'at

I can translate it too being a thoroughbred tyke :lol:

9. Just out of interest, being the son of a Yorkshireman, but not being born there excludes me from putting on a fake accent and saying I'm a Yorkshireman?

But I used to have arguments with my Yorkshire grandfather about how sh*t Barnsley were, I even took a piss in the grounds. That's got to count for something. People get on international football teams with less of a conection.

10. It doesn't matter how many Google entries you look at, you won't come across the original first line (or at least, I haven't found it).

edited much later to add: I've found the original line on the internet at last: http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/dialect/Old_texts.htm

I'm looking for the line that was written in my Grandma's music book that was handed down to her when she was about six.

Incidentally, the song ends:

And 'appen t'ducks'll poison thee, etc.
    Then thou shall keep me company, etc.

Note that thee and thou is a sore point in the Ridings. West Yorks insist that thou is posh and don't use it, unless as an insult. North Yorks use both in the proper context. Don't know about East Yorks.

11. As far as i'm aware Puttee, that is the first line? thats the way we were always taught it anyway.

'On Ilkley Moor Baht'at' is the unofficial county anthem of Yorkshire and tells the story of a young man courting a woman called Mary Jane on the moor without a hat (baht'at). He eventually succumbs to the cold and freezes to death.

Coorse yung'un cud allus on stopped ooam wit wud int oil an saved hissen yon bovver on freezin hissen to dee'ath stead on gooin oop yon moors aftu a flibbertygibbet lass. :lol:

12. Do you keep ferrets?

13. Why Biscuits owd c0ck? is tha afta treatin thisen? A can du thee a whippet or two if tha's fancying :lol:

14. Yes, but the bone of contention is that the young man in question was not asked "Where have you been since I saw you?" The second line "I've been courting Mary Jane" (which is correct) would not be a sensible answer to the question which is a request for a location, not an action.

All will be revealed.....

(and would you stay at home behind closed doors, when you could have been courting Mary Jane on the Moors? I think not).

15. Ahs'll have yin, just 'ave ter tak yon tupp up ter top paddock for vit'nry