Yorks & Lancaster Regt

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by afcbsimon, Oct 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am hoping somebody may be able to help me with finding some information on a guy who served with the Yorks & Lancaster Regiment.

His name was Edward Roy Kershaw and he joined in 1931 and left May 1938 to join the Royal Navy.

I have a record taken from the London Gazette stating that he was a 2nd Lieutenant on the Supplementary Reserve of Officers.

What is/was the Supplementary Reserve of Officers? Did this mean he was not a full time member of the Army?

Where would I find any records relating to his service and his time with this regiment? Would they have had a Regimental diary or something similar?

Apologies for all the questions but this is the first time I have tried to trace any information regarding Army personnel.

Best regards,
    Simon

2. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Start here

You'll be able to get his RN records from the same place. List at the bottom of the page gives the types and dates of records available through the National Archives at Kew - the dates you're looking for are later than this so you need to talk to the MoD direct as detailed elsewhere on that page. If you don't have written permission from next of kin you won't get far.