Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

York

Sixty

ADC
Evening all.

Fancied a quick break since work is rather hectic so I'm heading down to York in a couple of weeks.

I've had a look at the official website and things and intend going to the Jorvik Viking Centre and York Minster (the obvious stuff) but will be giving the Railway Museum a swerve (since I have an aversion to anoraks).

Going for 5 days and wondered if any denziens of that city had any tips? Stuff that isn't really on the visitor's trail or hidden gems / good pubs / restaurants and so on.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Hi sixty,
hmm well aside from the touristy city walls etc..
The city centre really is just that, with everything crammed within walking distance, the city has one of the highest pub ratios going by the way :D
La Tasca is a great spanish restaurant located in the centre opposite some bar called the snail IIRC, although portions on the small side..supposedly to aid "the authentic" tapas feel...still, the foods good and couple of the waitresses aint half bad!

Oh and search wikitravel in google for more travel destinations than you could wave a big stick at.

Just outside the city walls to the East is a sit down chippie called Whackers....most excellent.

Two good pubs on Stonegate are The Star and The Punchbowl.

If you have a car and are venturing out then the options are endless.

Eden Camp...former WW2 prison camp and now a military museum...45 minutes East...good for kids as well.

Elvington Museum...very good private aircraft museum 15 minutes outside the city to the East.

Scarborough and Whitby are an hour away and worth the effort.

Castle Howard..about 30 minutes East and one of the finest stately homes in Europe...a good gusset wetter dues to regularly featuring in bodice rippers.

In the city I would recommend a visit to Betty's Tea Rooms in Parliament Square/St Helen's Square and ask to have a look at the cellar mirrors if the cellar is not open....you will not keep a dry eye and you will feel very humble.

The castle Museum is wonderful and you really should visit the Railway Museum. It is a world class experience even for only an hour.

ahh york, alright for a night out,got my nose broken in "the gallery" , good craic though if your out for a drink and a lot of pound a pint nights...or are you thinking museums!!

Cheers all. Very helpful.

MIB, I've had a rethink on the Railway Museum since reading up on it; quite fancy seeing the Flying Scotsman now.

I spent a week in york last year .
York is great for shopping , Maninblack as highlighted the most important points regarding what to do in york .
Whitby is a really lovely little place i only spent a couple of hours there and which i had stayed over night .
I also went to heartbeat country which was o.k.
Betty's Tea Rooms in Parliament Square is are really nice .
Also went to harrogate which was o.k.

Hope you have a nice time

echobeach said:
I spent a week in york last year .
York is great for shopping , Maninblack as highlighted the most important points regarding what to do in york .
Whitby is a really lovely little place i only spent a couple of hours there and which i had stayed over night .
I also went to heartbeat country which was o.k.
Betty's Tea Rooms in Parliament Square is are really nice .
Also went to harrogate which was o.k.

Hope you have a nice time

Get your carer to write your posts, you cretinous moon-head, Chubb.

If you head out to Whitby, you will pass through 'Heartbeat' country. To be honest that's all there is to see. Goathland has a visitor centre and some gift shops, but it really ain't worth bothering.

Get the missus to drive and take yourself into the back streets of Whitby, some excellent real ale pubs out there.

If your visit coincides with the Goth weekend, take a camera (some of the ladies are stunning).

Brid and Scarborough are more typical seaside spots (Scarborough less so).

If you fancy a different day out try googling for Langdale Quest. It's an off-road driving spot with a few different vehicles to try out. Been there a few times (usually with a group) and had an excellent laugh).

Enjoy God's Own County ;)

Try The Blue Bicycle in York. Funny little place on the site of an old knocking shop. If you can, ask for one of the booths downstairs - great atmosphere.

Be aware that it is pretty expensive but the food is excellent and it wins prizes. Somewhere for a special treat.

More nearby:

North York Moors Railway (Goathland is Aidensfield)
Flamingo Park Zoo & Flamingoland
Castle Howard
North York Moors - many fine strolls and even finer hostelries
Sailing trip on a half-scale replica of The Endeavour at Whitby

In York:

Visit The Shambles
Have your photo taken by the street sign in Whipmawhopmagate
Check whether The York Arms is still a gay pub :oops:

All the above are, admittedly, a bit touristy but still worth a visit (except, perhaps, the last one).

If you're really after something different but with a military theme:

Visit Strensall Barracks and let me know if the spiders are still there.
Visit the scene of the IRA's most heinous atrocity (Lumley Bks, where they blew up the instruments of the Yorkshire Volunteers' Band)
Wander past Fylingdales and wonder why it's so famous (no golfballs now, sadly)

You may be a bit too early in the season to see The Battle of the River Plate at Peasholm Park in Scarborough. The first showing this year is on 24 May. http://www.peasholmpark.com/content/view/9/9/

But, no matter what, you must have fish & chips at the seaside. If you're heading for Whitby, have an early lunch. The queues for the Magpie Cafe build up from 11:00 onwards. Whitby is also one of the few places left that smokes kippers in the traditional manner (next to The Khyber Pass).

putteesinmyhands said:
But, no matter what, you must have fish & chips at the seaside. If you're heading for Whitby, have an early lunch. The queues for the Magpie Cafe build up from 11:00 onwards. Whitby is also one of the few places left that smokes kippers in the traditional manner (next to The Khyber Pass).

He's right about the queues at the Magpie, but it's surely worth the wait (if a little pricey).

Yes the spiders are still at Strenny so I can save you wasting time on that one :lol: :lol: :lol:

in_the_cheapseats said:
Try The Blue Bicycle in York. Funny little place on the site of an old knocking shop. If you can, ask for one of the booths downstairs - great atmosphere.

Be aware that it is pretty expensive but the food is excellent and it wins prizes. Somewhere for a special treat.

..too right its phucking expensive!

Oh and, whitby has a reputation for inbreds around these parts...maybe thats why you all recommend it so highly? :D

Putteesinmyhands.."The Battle of the River Plate at Peasholm Park in Scarborough", i remember seeing that as a kid! great fun.

Sixty said:
had a rethink on the Railway Museum since reading up on it; quite fancy seeing the Flying Scotsman now.

I thought the same but dragged mrs and teenage oldmuso to it last year - it was actually really really good and we all enjoyed it. Recommended :clap:

putteesinmyhands said:
...........Check whether The York Arms is still a gay pub :oops:

The front bar was always the geriatric gay bar for York....old gay couples of long standing. One of the less regualr predatory queens tried to chat me up when I was on leave and he was told in no uncertain terms by some of the older people in there that his type were not welcome in the front bar.

The back bar was always more studenty and generally straight. I used to stand the door when I was on leave and knew the old landlord quite well.

Damned fine pint he served.