York

The best thing about York, is you can jump the train at Durham.

Much less spoiled than York, the cathedral and castle are amazing, good walks around the riverbanks.

You can get away from the tourists quite quickly, to find some real pubs and restaurants, where you won't get ripped off.

Lots to see quite near....... I love living there.

Try The Blue Bicycle in York. Funny little place on the site of an old knocking shop. If you can, ask for one of the booths downstairs - great atmosphere.

Be aware that it is pretty expensive but the food is excellent and it wins prizes. Somewhere for a special treat.
You'll be lucky. The BB has been closed since the floods last winter while they try to work out how to stop it falling into the Fosse.

Eight year old thread resurrection. Yikes.

I'm going to an all day seminar/workshop at the University of York in the new year so I'll be in York from the morning of the 5th to the evening of the 7th of January.

If any of you reprobates are local and will be around and fancy a pint, give me a shout via here.

Sadly no longer living in those parts. This place is worth a visit, though:

Trembling Madness

It's very cosy and hygge, so you'll find it easy to start a conversation with total strangers.

Last edited:
Sadly no longer living in those parts. This place is worth a visit, though:

Trembling Madness

It's very cosy and hygge, so you'll find it easy to start a conversation with total strangers.

Due to close in the not too distant sadly as the lease on the building is expiring. Still lots of great pubs but an alarming rise in 'hipster' type establishments where the bar staff all have beards, top knots and checked shirts and serve horrible over hopped keg beers (I believe the term is 'craft') at slightly eye watering prices. The pub on the station is very good if arriving/leaving that way.

Due to close in the not too distant sadly as the lease on the building is expiring. Still lots of great pubs but an alarming rise in 'hipster' type establishments where the bar staff all have beards, top knots and checked shirts and serve horrible over hopped keg beers (I believe the term is 'craft') at slightly eye watering prices. The pub on the station is very good if arriving/leaving that way.
Welcome to the 21st century, we've had to put up with all shit for far too long in the civilised world (down south).

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You'll be lucky. The BB has been closed since the floods last winter while they try to work out how to stop it falling into the Fosse.
Not bad, replying to a post dated April 10 2008, well before last winter's floods ;)

How long has the Bunker been open?

To my shame I've never heard of it once, and my family has had 'boots on the ground' in York the last 22 years.

Its definitely on my 'to do' list next time I pick up the eldest though, so thank you!
It's really quite tucked away at the boundary of Holgate and Acomb. Only visible if you know where to look for it, it's in the car park of an apartment building. There's a small A board on the main drag through Acomb when it's open.

It's really quite tucked away at the boundary of Holgate and Acomb. Only visible if you know where to look for it, it's in the car park of an apartment building. There's a small A board on the main drag through Acomb when it's open.
My sister lives in Acomb, and the boy is in Askham Bar, so I will be in the area at one point.

Cheers!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm filled with dread every time I think about York.

The place reminds me of a very naughty stag weekend that nearly cost me my marriage.

The less said the better, but Eastern European strippers, two Aussie backpacker girls, copious amounts of alcohol and throwing urinal cakes at bouncers were all prominent features.

I'm filled with dread every time I think about York.

The place reminds me of a very naughty stag weekend that nearly cost me my marriage.

The less said the better, but Eastern European strippers, two Aussie backpacker girls, copious amounts of alcohol and throwing urinal cakes at bouncers were all prominent features.
Why does NOTHING about this post surprise me?

Last I Heard about the pumps at the Foss/Ouse confluence(?) was that they were built in the wrong place & the pumping station is the first thing to flood when it gets rainy.York brewery co. is worth a visit just inside the city walls near where the original station was.

Last I Heard about the pumps at the Foss/Ouse confluence(?) was that they were built in the wrong place & the pumping station is the first thing to flood when it gets rainy.York brewery co. is worth a visit just inside the city walls near where the original station was.
It flooded at Christmas mainly because the never seen before amount of water overwhelmed the pumps there. They've just finished replacing and increasing the number of pumps so that the situation shouldn't happen again. It's not a simple as most of the perma-outraged locally would like to make out.

Latest Threads