Yon does it again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another anti-American article by Michael Yon.

But who was General Lee?

A man who owned 196 slaves on the Arlington plantation. He defended slavery and tried to divide the USA.

So mr.Yon exposes American soldiers as admirers of racism and slavery.

Glorification of the head of racist army? In Iraq? Alas it is possible. But mr.Yon intentionally underlines it to expose the Americans in the negative light.
  2. msr

msr LE

And Sergei exposes himself as being a bit of a loony.
  3. Blimey, vodka-fuelled lunacy of the highest order Tovarich!
  4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That he may have been, however he was also a magnificent General, aided my the brilliant Jackson, the death of Jackson, accidently shot by his own side was a huge blow for the Confederates, and for Lee especially.

You should also remember one of the towering greats of American History, Thomas Jefferson, amongst many others, was also a slave owner.

Edited to add: I await the ever eloquent Goldbricker to educate us all on some of the facts relating to those two extraordinary Generals. ( :D In anticipation).
  5. ... and you dear Mrs exposes yourself as voided of sense of humour.

On a serious note I would like to say that glorification of General Lee in Iraq is a bad idea. It could be seen as an intention to enslave the Iraqis.

6. Vodka in small doses could be drank in any qauntities.
  7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Preferable chilled straight from the freezer.
  8. Anyway, Stalin killed more of his own people than where killed in the US Civil war, so he is worse.
  9. Oh, yes!
  10. I'd beg to disagree there, Msr. Sergey is a typical example of your average Ivan who grew up in the system and very much recognises its awful weaknesses and refuses to bow to its repression.

Russian humour is, essentially, Brit (or even Wop) humour - only much more spiked. To carry that off successfully in Soviet times was a genuine work of art and demanded a quite remarkable degree of linguistic sophistication. But there are many Ivans who did it most admirably.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so critical of things we don't quite understand?

Just a thought.

11. Sergey,

Shot lost - fire smoke

Please may I ask for a logical link between naming a vehicle "General Lee" (which I suspect has more to do with 1980's popular culture - and little or nothing to do with circa-1800 wikipedia references) and "US Soldiers being admirers of racism and slavery"?
  12. Please give KGB_resident a break.

His government is currently developing a set of laws that proscribe precisely what version of history is legally acceptable to be thought and spoken by Russian citizens and others on Russian soil.

I suspect he is just practising.
  13. msr

msr LE

BA (Hons) Russian Studies. I think I can lay a bit of a claim to understanding...