Yon: Are Spanish troops endangering US troops?

Interesting - are there OPSEC issues linked to that email being published for both US and Spanish forces?

"When Secretary Gates gets wind, we can rest easy that proper attention is forthcoming."

This man is supposed to be a writer? Come on, nobody whom uses English as their first language would misconstrue such a simple though admittedly old fashioned expression.

"Once Secretary Gates gets wind of this situation we will be able to rest easy, sure that proper attention will be forthcoming."

Bloody Spanish,nothing personal,but that,s why England beat off the Armada.....and kicked butts in the Falklands....they are knackers!!!!
They can,t be trusted away from a Taco bar!!!
GGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

littlejim said:
"When Secretary Gates gets wind, we can rest easy that proper attention is forthcoming."

This man is supposed to be a writer? Come on, nobody whom uses English as their first language would misconstrue such a simple though admittedly old fashioned expression.

"Once Secretary Gates gets wind of this situation we will be able to rest easy, sure that proper attention will be forthcoming."
Out of everything written the best you can do is to nit pick a sentence?

oh dear, I do hope this American has used the proper morphology to satisfy the grammar nazi vis-a-vis use of all the correct accidence.

On Subject:
Since littlejim may not know that Michael Yon is an ex special forces soldier who took up blogging as a way to help with the war effort and is not a professional journo, we will forgive him.

I sincerely hope that this is either an exaggerated claim or a single Spanish post commander and not the standard for the Spanish army.

I would think that even the Spanish would look to show themselves as a world class military and not, forgive the americanism, a bunch of yahoos.

Apart from the very real operational issues encountered by the 82nd, like helo landing pads & berm protection etc.;
this report suggests that the Spanish troops deployed do not have an active military role.
So one questions their purpose in being deployed there.
Apart from a manana military, it also suggests that the Spanish lack of political will to fight in A'stan,
has permeated down to the small unit commands.
Some of the points posted following Yon's report are worth reading.

Use caution when approaching Yon's 'If they're not from the good ol' US of A then they're NFG" rhetoric. He needs that line to sell copy in the World's largest PX.

Canader said:
Use caution when approaching Yon's 'If they're not from the good ol' US of A then they're NFG" rhetoric. He needs that line to sell copy in the World's largest PX.
Having met and worked with the bloke, he is very down to earth, practical, pragmatic and not above having a dig at his own side if it is warranted. I would not put it down to a case of "septic superiority in everything", as that is not his style.

Canader said:
You are a bit off target on this one...Yon has been quite pro-UK on many, many an occasion.

Show us some examples of his bias.

RedCoat2009 said:
Canader said:
You are a bit off target on this one...Yon has been quite pro-UK on many, many an occasion.

Here's a good example. Yon calls for the Canadian Brigadier to be fired beacuse this bridge was taken out. However, his detective work was apparently so flawless on this that he had to file a retraction when it turned out that the bridge was not in the Canadian TAOR. I thought that the SF were trained to take proper aim before pulling the trigger? Perhaps that's why he's been 'bowler hatted'?

Michael Yon - Fire the Task Force Kandahar General:

Yesterday at 0735 local, a suicide car bomb attacked a US convoy crossing a bridge only about ten minutes from the major base called Kandahar Airfield. The car bomb blew an MRAP off the bridge, killing a US soldier and injuring several others. Another bomb had been planted under the bridge.

Michael Yon-Facebook-021736EST-Mar-10.pdf

RedCoat2009 said:
Canader said:

+1 Canader

Not to mention his piece of the Uzbeen ambush in 2008, riddled with factual errors (see thread at the time on this board) and prejudice.

What is the purpose of the article? Just to inform? Rather to destroy Euro-Atlantic military brotherhood, to endanger the operation in Afghanisatan with clear intention to ruin the NATO.

KGB_resident said:
What is the purpose of the article? Just to inform? Rather to destroy Euro-Atlantic military brotherhood, to endanger the operation in Afghanisatan with clear intention to ruin NATO.
I would imagine it's to embarrass the Spanish into action.

Not sure what the Spanish will make of this.

inbredyokel666 said:
KGB_resident said:
What is the purpose of the article? Just to inform? Rather to destroy Euro-Atlantic military brotherhood, to endanger the operation in Afghanisatan with clear intention to ruin NATO.

Not much-they wilo be too b usy throwing donkeys of tall buildings or killing other animals in the name of fun before going for a short sleep

inbredyokel666 said:
Paella?

Canader said:
RedCoat2009 said:
Canader said:

Here's a good example. Yon calls for the Canadian Brigadier to be fired beacuse this bridge was taken out. However, his detective work was apparently so flawless on this that he had to file a retraction when it turned out that the bridge was not in the Canadian TAOR. I thought that the SF were trained to take proper aim before pulling the trigger? Perhaps that's why he's been 'bowler hatted'?

Michael Yon - Fire the Task Force Kandahar General:

Yesterday at 0735 local, a suicide car bomb attacked a US convoy crossing a bridge only about ten minutes from the major base called Kandahar Airfield. The car bomb blew an MRAP off the bridge, killing a US soldier and injuring several others. Another bomb had been planted under the bridge.

Michael Yon-Facebook-021736EST-Mar-10.pdf
You can't scrutinise Yon like a regular hack. He's an ex soldier who reports idependently from the front line in a way that few others do.

For that reason, he sometimes gets his facts mixed up (as the troops on the ground often do) and doesn't have the benefit of an editorial team to check over his content before it goes live.

He's a very brave guy and a good friend of the troops on the ground.

inbredyokel666 said:
KGB_resident said:

The Spanish don't want to be there anyway and their population is opposed to their presence in Afghanistan. The end result of this article will be an even deeper rift between the Spanish contingent and the US. Spaniards do not like to be made fools of and they will show even less goodwill to get the job done.

So far, Yon has managed to antagonize (in alphabetical order) the British, the Canadians, the French and now the Spaniards military authorities.

Give him another couple of years and he'll be able to do nothing but reports on the US forces. I suppose he will then lambast the other nations for not sharing the burden...

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
It's sad to see the lines being drawn already - those who support Mr Yon (including many who have met him, and who have read his earlier work, like me) against those who don't like him - mainly it appears because of his 'crime' of being American, informed, and patriotic, and of upsetting some world views.

In this piece, as in so many others, he appears to have been well-informed. I will not comment on the veracity or otherwise of his posts – but he’s always told the truth as he sees it, and from the perspective of soldiers on the ground. In my view he is a great Journo, who is not afraid to report consistently from the front line – and that’s a rare thing these days in war reporting.

And he has not managed to annoy the Brits – he’s told the truth, based on what he has seen, and that’s something that many people do not like. He may have annoyed some people in certain areas of the Army/MoD, but that’s a very very long way from ‘antagonising the Brits’.

As for the Spanish – I cannot comment, but if the word ‘Italian’ had replaced ‘Spanish’ in his story, I would have absolutely believed it, having seen that at first hand on more than one occasion!

Keep up the good work, Mr Yon – and I hope that you are in-country over the election period – the UK election, that is…

fantassin said:
Give him another couple of years and he'll be able to do nothing but reports on the US forces.
Until they decide they cannot spare the resources to babysit a full-time hanger on (which, if I recall correctly, was why he was embedded with the British in the first place).

A couple of years ago he was a very good reporter. Now he seems to be turning into a bitter hack prone to throwing a strop whenever someone doesn't bend to his every whim.
Which is why I will take this report with a huge pinch of salt - previously I would have been more inclined to believe him.

I expect the Spanish will be picking up their ball and going home very shortly.

Actually he has a pretty detailed piece on the bridge saga on his main web page here. As normal things are more completicated than first reported and he has clairified a few of his errors in the initial report.

The one small detail that I think he gets wrong in his write-up is that COMISAF (with NATO hat on) reports to Com JFC Brunssum, then to SACEUR. The same individual, with his US hat on, reports to CENTCOM.