Yokel's Fifty Rules for Life

Far from being verbose they are shorthand. If you have the right background that is.

Of course people makes mistakes - accepting that allows for a learning culture-, and hopefully encourahes defence in depth in the form of checking and supervision.

As for your third paragraph - hmmm! Unfortunately there are some very toxic people out there.

No.

There are situations where mistakes are not acceptable. Ever. They tend to be where people’s’ lives are at risk. If an airline pilot stuffs up a landing and the aircraft is damaged, and everyone walks away, that’s not great for the pilot, but it’s acceptable. If that pilot stuffs up the landing and puts it down short at San Francisco, he’s in the water. if that pilot fcuks up the aircraft configuration and can’t get airborne before he runs out of runway, that’s far from OK.

Anesthestist gets the dose wrong through a miscalculation. Patient dies. Surgeon amputates the wrong limb. Not OK, ever.

These things do happen, and there’s hell to pay with the Spanish Inquistion.

Accepting mistakes and learning from them is fine as a generalization, but there are many circumstances where the mantra is “DO NOT FCUK THIS UP”, for good reason.

Got as far as number five.
Expected to see: number 6: NAAFI break.
Always start a presentation with: I will be stopping, here, here, and here.
Before dinner. Then I will display the afternoon stuff.
Keeps ‘em informed.

Yokel

LE
Yet - things go wrong - human factors? Human fallibility?

An operating theatre, aircraft cockpit, or carrier flight deck is a damn site safer of people can flag up unplanned events and difficulties without fear. Google 'Elaine Bromley' - who died during a routine operation which went wrong as the surgeon became fixated with one course of action. Or the Staines air crash....

Google 'authority gradient' too.

An operating theatre, aircraft cockpit, or carrier flight deck is a damn site safer of people can flag up unplanned events and difficulties without fear. Google 'Elaine Bromley' - who died during a routine operation which went wrong as the surgeon became fixated with one course of action. Or the Staines air crash....

Well, of course. Hence “it’s not OK to accept failure as long as one learns from it” as a generalism is not OK.

One must accept failure, because of human nature. But that doesn’t make it OK as a generalism.

Never turn down a shag if its offered
Ehhhh ?
1609196943235.png

Do you think I can remember fifty rules? However I do my best.

I am not of an age to know what a yellow handbag is. Nor am I familiar with '58 pattern webbing and puttees, or think that a 7.62 mm round fired from the SLR can penetrate the frontal armour of a T72.
Everybody knows that the qualities of the SLR are exaggerated, by a few of us on here, due to sentimentality.
The idea that a 7.62 round fired from the SLR could penetrate the frontal armour of a T72 is absurd.

That was the T64.
The T72 required three rounds.

I don't think he can be wrong if they are his own rules to live his own life by.....

I fully agree with you. Neither am I saying that any of the content of the original post is necessarily specious.

I was alluding to the original post itself in the context of Arrse, @Yokel 's previous posts and his regular active participation.

In other words, have you been sitting and compiling this list of rules in order to post something on Arrse? If so, how long have you been doing this for? If not, when did you compile the list? Are all of these really your rules? Why fifty and not some other number? What's the point of bombarding us with so many anyway? Literally - What is the point?

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Well, of course. Hence “it’s not OK to accept failure as long as one learns from it” as a generalism is not OK.

One must accept failure, because of human nature. But that doesn’t make it OK as a generalism.

My comments was meant to mean failures will happen, so try to stop them cascading into disaster with defence in depth, checks and balances, and redundancies, and aggressively investigate them.

My comments was meant to mean failures will happen, so try to stop them cascading into disaster with defence in depth, checks and balances, and redundancies, and aggressively investigate them.

Indeed, but that’s not what you said. It’s way too complex for a facile “Commandment #X”.

morsk

LE
I fully agree with you. Neither am I saying that any of the content of the original post is necessarily specious.

I was alluding to the original post itself in the context of Arrse, @Yokel 's previous posts and his regular active participation.

In other words, have you really been sitting and compiling this list of rules in order to post something on Arrse? If so, how long have you been doing this for? Are all of these really your rules? Why fifty and not some other number? What's the point of bombarding us with so many anyway? Literally? What is the point?
Cry for help? Needs a cuddle? Cut and paste? If anyone knows the answer, then, surely, they know the ONE true rule......

Cry for help? Needs a cuddle? Cut and paste? If anyone knows the answer, then, surely, they know the ONE true rule......
"never get involved in a land war in Asia..."

46. Don't plagiarise shit you find on the internet when pissed and maudlin
47. Don't put the following shit on your walls in the house, or anywhere else for that matter.
48. Live!
49. Laugh!
50. Love!

we've all read Black Box Thinking....

'There's only one rule,Fletcher.......obey all the rules'.......Officer McKay

Latest Threads