Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by the_beer_man, Aug 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there anyone out there than can point me in the right direction. After a long time doing harsh phys I definately think it's time to do something about my flexibility as I've definetely been neglecting it a bit. I feel stiff a lot of the time and have heard a few people mention Yoga as a good way of helping this. The problem is I don't know where to start. I'm not after any half arrsed Yoga designed for pregnant women that can't bend over, nor do I want something that I'm gonna end up jacking off to.

Any help welcomed.

Thanks, TBM
  2. Try to obtain a Rodney Yee DVD or video from the web. He specializes in Power Yoga, but does incorperate beginner workouts also. Bear in mind you may have to practice some of the stances and breathing techniques before trying one of his workouts...Yoga is not the easy peasey excuse for exercise so many people think it is!
  3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Try Body Balance. It's a mix of stretching, yoga and some other stuff.
  4. I was doing Yoga on a Monday evening for ages until they scrapped the course - it worked wonders for the chronic back pain I was getting. I now do Pilates - just as good. You don't say where you live, the_beer_man, but look in your local library or college (or even doctor's waiting room) for information on Yoga classes local to you.
  5. Try the British Wheel of Yoga for a list of qualified Hatha yoga instructors.
    This will give a good blend of postures and relaxation but no silly chanting :)
  6. Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga! You'll sweat your bollox off and, within a few weeks, be able to suck your own c0ck (if you ever wanted to do - ahem) :roll: Also doubles as a bodyweight HIT routine on some levels. I've been taking classes for about 6 months and have found an amazing difference in my flexibility and ability to shrug off injuries from training!

Try a class and dont be afraid to sswap if it doesnt suit you (chanting for example) and stick with it it for a month. You wont look back (except in a couple of the more advanced positions! :wink:
  7. Tried that; really enjoyed it and its also a good intro into yoga but I much preferred the Ashtanga in the end as I found it not only helped my stretching/ suppleness, but also my physical strength as well
  8. I'm intrigued about Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga now.

I'm going to pop a e-mail to a yoga place nearby now.