Yob alarm hijacked as silent ringtone

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by doublecrease, May 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A yob-busting alarm using ultra high sound to drive teenage thugs from shopping centres has been hijacked to create inaudible classroom ringtones, it emerged today.

Kids, always a step ahead. :D

2. If only we could harness this creativity for good.
  3. Strange, I didn't hear that on the news.
  4. I didn't hear anything...what noise?
  5. Pardon?
  6. If you cannot hear it, you're officially old!
  7. 14.37 exactly.

8. forget the news story - where can i buy this moss key tow from? i have chavs hanging around outside my house - upto now the only way to get rid of them was take thier photos

9. I see your lips moving, but.......

10. You can be arrested for that you know....
  11. Surely the give away is all the kids flinching and clutching their ears?
  12. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

The problem with this is that most mobile phones cannot reproduce the frequencies required for the ring tone to work....to give an example on the radio the designer had to modify the frequency to allow car radio speakers to output it.

It sounds like a wind up to me.
  13. Shows the kids are not that dumb!! What gets me is that the exams are getting easier, now a huge basket of A Star grades are not so hard to get as the exam boards dumb down the standards so the government can boast about better than ever results, easier to fix that than the NHS..!!

...... and then the kids go and show they have got some clever original thoughts... well they can rip off one man's clever and original invention for their own devices!!
  14. I work in the mobile industry and I have never come across a mobile that could generate sound in that frequency range. I am by no means an authority though.
  15. But of course are we in a position to hear it?

I know I'm not.

Could be like the Emperor's New Clothes.