Yeti Attack Gaiters

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by numbered_3, Dec 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking about buying a set of Yeti Attack Gaiters,
    anyone got any experience of using these and are they any good?
  2. Good piece of kit if you're going above the snow line.
    Make sure you have a compatable boot/sole.

They're a bit of a bugger to fit, make sure that you do it in advance (they stay on all the time).

3. Hi mate...

Yep I have used them for years, bit of a down side though and that is you need boots with a strong stiff sole otherwise the rubber of the welt of the gaiter tends to fold the boots up. I used Altberg boots and got them to custom fit a sole meant for the gaiter onto it. No drama's with using either now.

I also found that if using them with a set of boots that were stiff but without the lip needed on the walking boot the rubber toe cap popped up, causing ingress of water and cutting blood flow, so I solved that with a bit of super glue.

Stiffness of boots, well grab the sole and try and fold it, if it folds up like an Assualt Boot then dont bother, if it is almost rock solid then they may be ok.

As with any gaiter getting water of the top is a real bitch, especially if it has kept you all warm and dry up to this point.

EDIT - Yep they are great for above the snowline,(what they were designed for) but they are also damed good for patroling in a normal wet UK/NI/European enviroment. To stop the 'swish' noise of the goretex rubbing as you walk I used to put my trousers over the top (only if a anally retentive PC was about)
  4. My experience of gaitors is great for wet grass etc; but going on Dartmoor they proved to be an annoyance; in boggy areas the water came over the top - no matter how tight they were on my calf muscles. That or the water came from underneath and then over... but at the end of the day I had very very wet feet and a pair of lowas that took ages to get dry.

If you're planning to be very wet or end up in bogs around your knees then I've heard waterproof socks are good; but have not tried my own out yet.
  5. Good solution, I've done it myself on my plastic boots. Obvious point though, once super-glued on, you can't take the gaiters off without ruining them.

Agreed. If you're buying new boots look for a rigid or semi-rigid sole. Rule of thumb: If the boot'll take a crampon, it'll take Yetis.

Yes, you're never going to get round that problem. Yetis have a better seal on the bottom than most gaiters, so water is less likely to get in (or out) that way.

Swishing is a problem with any gaiter. IMHO yetis are overkill for a temperate environment. They are also heavier than standard/issue gaiters.

What will you be using them for n_3?

6. Yeti gaitors are designed for snow. They are no good for soggy Brecon, Otterburn, ect. All they achieve in the end is to keep your boots wet once they get wet.
  7. Have used yetis with the scarpa boot and the only pain was the toe lifting off constantly. When I buy my next pair, I may buy a smaller size - I do not know if anyone else thinks that they are on the large size?

My only other tip is do not use superglue - use the stuff that glues trainer soles, it will come off more readily and does not spoil the gater.
  8. Was anyone else hoping for a story about a mythical creature fighting a toothy lizard?

Taxi is on its way....
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Make that a taxi for two
    • Like Like x 1
  10. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Can I get a lift aswell?

Used Yeti gaiters and found them very good for snow and long wet grass or periods of being static in wet conditions.

Not that good if moving quickly over rough wet terrain and tended to become a pain rather than useful. Also if your boots get very wet under them then you'd be better taking the gaiters off. Hope it helps and as already mentioned make sure your boot sole is suitable.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I've used Yeti Gaiters when I was doing my survival course in the Arctic.

The only downside to them was I was using them in conjunction with Proboots....

I'm in full agreement with those who've mentioned that you need a boot with an ultra-stiff sole.
  12. Count me in and we'll go quarters!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You dont say what sort of things you want to do in them, so its difficult to give you any specific advice.

IMO they are crap when wearing crampons and/or climbing in snow and ice - or rock/stones. They are marginally ok breaking trail with some snowshoes.
    The best way to fit them (without glueing them permanently) in place is to warm the rubber welts in hot water then stretch them TIGHT over the sole - if they ever move in situ you will never get them back in place with gloves on etc.
    Forget them if you are going into snow and buy something with an under instep strap that is not rivetted in place, eg you can bodge/carry a replacement easy. Couple this to some good boots appropriate to the activity.
    My wife glued a pair of Yetis to an old pair of boots with Aquasure neoprene glue - seems to work great in boggy wet grass.
  14. better call two cabs.......................
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I'll share one if anyone's going my way.
    • Like Like x 1