Yet more trouble on Russia’s “Near Abroad” - Kyrgyzstan kicks-off !!

That’s why they pulled the ‘Man from Del Monte’ adverts. Someone realised that the United Fruit company, as a monopsony, literally had the power of life or death over a community’s economy. Hence also the origin of the phrase ‘Banana Republic’.

Once, consulting on a project for the US DoD that was to take place in Central America, I was appalled at the complete lack of knowledge of their own history amongst the septics in that little corner of the Pentagon.
Right up there with this:

I have found that US officers - especially Army officers - have an encyclopaedic knowledge of battles of the ancient world and of big ticket items (Omaha) - but that's it. But I am not sure our personnel are much better informed.

China's Road and Belt policy, and its relentless economic sedition, is a key driver of unrest in the 'stans.

At state level the people can see their oligarchal ruling class becoming immensely rich off the back of Chinese loan sharking investment in infrastructure and resources, and at local level they are being impoverished from the poorest levels of society up by a relentless Chinese dumping of goods that wipes out domestic enterprise.

E.g. a local market has been the basic economic mechanism of human society since agriculture began. Its therefore disturbing to see, in countries from Asia to Africa, and parts of Europe, local markets now dominated by ethnic Chinese selling Chinese goods, undercutting and displacing native traders and production.

Worryingly, the dispossessed poor and young frequently turn to the siren call of radical Islam, courtesy of Saudi's campaign of donating social institutions packaged with Wahhabi proselytising.
Thanks for that, the EUronews side is un surprisingly not covering the Chinese aspect.

How long to the deployment of a 'stabilization force'?

'Russia said on Thursday that Kyrgyzstan had descended into chaos and that Moscow was obliged by a security treaty to prevent a total breakdown in the country, where rival groups have claimed power in post-election unrest.

'The Central Asian nation, where Russia has an airbase, has been gripped by instability since parliamentary elections on Sunday which government critics and western monitors said were marred by vote-buying.

'Protesters stormed government buildings on Tuesday and various groups have said they are in charge.

'Parliament failed to gather a quorum in an overnight session to agree on who should take over from ousted ministers, deputies said earlier on Thursday, prolonging a power vacuum.

“The situation looks like a mess and chaos”, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told a briefing, referring to Russian obligations under a security treaty between the two countries to avoid a complete breakdown of government.

'He did not say what action Russia might take but confirmed that Alexander Bortnikov, the head of Russia’s FSB security service, had spoken to the new acting security chief of Kyrgysztan, Omurbek Suvanaliyev, on Wednesday.'

How long to the deployment of a 'stabilization force'?

'Russia said on Thursday that Kyrgyzstan had descended into chaos and that Moscow was obliged by a security treaty to prevent a total breakdown in the country, where rival groups have claimed power in post-election unrest.

'The Central Asian nation, where Russia has an airbase, has been gripped by instability since parliamentary elections on Sunday which government critics and western monitors said were marred by vote-buying.

'Protesters stormed government buildings on Tuesday and various groups have said they are in charge.

'Parliament failed to gather a quorum in an overnight session to agree on who should take over from ousted ministers, deputies said earlier on Thursday, prolonging a power vacuum.

“The situation looks like a mess and chaos”, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told a briefing, referring to Russian obligations under a security treaty between the two countries to avoid a complete breakdown of government.

'He did not say what action Russia might take but confirmed that Alexander Bortnikov, the head of Russia’s FSB security service, had spoken to the new acting security chief of Kyrgysztan, Omurbek Suvanaliyev, on Wednesday.'

If the Russians just started running the place again a surprising number of Kyrgyz would be ok with that.

If the Russians just started running the place again a surprising number of Kyrgyz would be ok with that.
A bit like the UK in some parts of the former Empire.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. The white mans' burden of having to be guest of honour at a banquet of local delicacies!

"This is fermented camel's milk. You must drink it all - everyone is waiting for your approval"

"This is horse meat sausage. Local joke is that it looks like penis. You must eat. Everyone is watching, etc"

"Dafuq is this?! (Cough!) I mean, this looks nice, what is it?"

"Ah, local speciality. Aged (=rotten) cauliflower with sauce made from horse's..."

"Yum, yum. Let me guess; everyone is watching and waiting for my approval?"

"Only twelve more courses. Next is another local speciality,,,,,"

A valuable expat skill is to be able to swallow anything down (preferably without tasting it) and maintain a glassy smile of enjoyment.
I have impressed locals throughout the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Japan and China with my cast iron stomach's ability to deal with everything offered eg sheep's brain, slabs of salo, fermented fish, various recognisable and unrecognisable internal organs from various creatures, seaslugs and those horrible fermented soya beans and actually go back for seconds! :D

In Azerbaijan lunch almost every day was this foul brown rice thing that all of us hated. On our first day at work in Kyrgyzstan they wanted to have a special lunch to welcome us. I could almost hear the others screaming internally when they realised it was the same thing. However, it turns out that Plov is actually quite nice when it is made by someone who actually knows how to cook!

I did tell them to shove their fermented mare's milk when they tried that a few days later.
Got a Tajik lass on my team at the moment and she cooks a shit hot Plov!

ETA I quite like fermented mare's milk!

4(T)

LE
In our anglo-russian household, plov is the natural follow-on using up the remnants of the sunday roast. I suppose out tasty plov has the benefits of Morrisons ingredients, and not collective farm sweepings.

Some parts of the 'stans like it incredibly oily and stodgy, but then again for them it was part of the heritage of having foods they could cook and then keep going for several days whilst they were doing their nomadic bit.

However, some of them are just really bad cooks...

Things getting dodgier, or more work by agents provocateur? Sounds like they need a stabilisation force.;)

'Kyrgyzstan’s former President Almazbek Atambayev escaped an armed attack on Friday.

'Atambayev was at a demonstration in the Ala-Too square in the capital Bishkek when an unidentified person opened fire on his car. Two bullets hit the vehicle but Atambayev was unhurt. The shooter managed to flee from the area.'

let me guess: the Russians will deploy a "stabilisation force" and after some heroic film for RT,will immediately sell/barter/give/hire weapons and ammunition to both sides and watch as they knock lumps off each other. In the fashion of Chechnya, they will later flatten everything taller than a stack of bricks as a form of advertising of their weapons such as multi-barrelled rocket launchers, fuel-air munitions,drones, and so on. The only Russians to actually die will be conscripts,as they are considered disposable and will be sent into action to save the professional thieves from having to fight

More from Twitter, re. possible cause of fighting.
Ceasefire apparently agreed

Perhaps not, though its not as if either Twatter or Tass is a particularly reliable source.

'Kyrgyzstan recorded the movement of military equipment from Tajikistan on Saturday to the border area between the two states, the Border Service of the State Committee for National Security said.

"In the direction of the Tajik-Kyrgyz state border on Tajikistan’s soil the movement of military equipment was registered," the service said.

'According to the service, the Tajik side in the settlement of Tort-Kocho fully blocked a road linking two Kyrgyz areas. "The situation on the Kyrgyz-Tajik section of the state border is considered as rather tense," the statement said.

'The situation on the border between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan near the Golovnoy water intake facility escalated on April 28, after clashes had sparked between residents of the two countries’ border areas. On April 29, armed skirmishes between Kyrgyz and Tajik servicemen broke out. Kyrgyzstan accused Tajikistan of using mortars, machine guns and Mi-24 military helicopters. On the evening of April 29, the sides agreed to a ceasefire and the pullout of troops. Bishkek and Dushanbe reported a large number of casualties.'

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hmmmm

I wonder if the Yanks have told Tajikistan that they wont be needing facilities at Dushanbe anymore.....

Latest incident.

'Tensions escalated along a disputed segment of the Kyrgyz-Tajik border as Bishkek said on June 4 that Tajik military personnel had placed a container overnight on what Kyrgyz officials called "a disputed area" along the border between the two Central Asian nations.

'The Kyrgyz State Committee for National Security (UKMK) said in a statementthat the Tajik side, "violating all agreements reached by the two sides' government delegations on the issues of the Kyrgyz-Tajik border delimitation and demarcation," placed a container on an unmarked segment of the border in the Chon-Alai district of the Osh region at around 3 a.m. on June 4 , entering 1,000 meters inside Kyrgyz territory.

'The UKMK's statement said the Tajik side left the container on the disputed part of the border and by 6 a.m. had withdrawn its military personnel from the site 600 meters back toward Tajik territory.'

'The Kyrgyz State Committee for National Security (UKMK) said in a statementthat the Tajik side, "violating all agreements reached by the two sides' government delegations on the issues of the Kyrgyz-Tajik border delimitation and demarcation," placed a container on an unmarked segment of the border in the Chon-Alai district of the Osh region at around 3 a.m. on June 4 , entering 1,000 meters inside Kyrgyz territory.
That does sound like an exercise scenario between the Blue and Orange Forces in the disputed territory of 'Musoria'

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That does sound like an exercise scenario between the Blue and Orange Forces in the disputed territory of 'Musoria'
Are 1 LOAMSHIRES on the left or right flank?